• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

xc600 electrical issues???

G

garypuento

Feb 25, 2011
mn
Bought a 1999 xc 600 this summer for my son. Took it out tonight in the dark for the first time. My low beam did not work at all, high beams would shine good and bright for a little while,then turn to supper dim for a bit then flash back to bright. No tail lights but yes to brake lights. But the brake lights would turn dim the same time as the headlights would turn dim. The council lights did not work also. Any idea? There could be some bulbs out, but a dought all of them would go out.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
The first thing I would suspect is a faulty voltage regulator or a bad ground connection for the regulator where it mounts on the chassis. It is probably cutting in and out and over time has taken out the bulbs when it cuts out. Pull the bulbs and check them. I bet most of them are burnt out. The only reason the brake light works is because it is not on constantly. A lot of people replace the regulator with a 2 wire Arctic Cat regulator which seems to be a better unit. The wiring is different in that you have to run the ground lead on the Cat unit to a ground whereas the Polaris one is grounded internally through the mounting stud.

Premium Features