• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99' 550 RMK lighting/voltage reg help needed

C
Nov 15, 2009
Breckenridge, Co
I have a 1999 550 trail rmk that is giving me some trouble. It had super dim lights so I started testing around. I was only getting 4.5V out of the voltage regulator. I unplugged the voltage regulator and was getting 26 volts at idle and around mid 40's at rev.

I bought a cheep voltage regulator and was getting 16 volts so I returned it and bought an oem polaris one $$$. This one produces around 10- 11 volts. But what is weird is when I rev the motor the volts go down to about 4 volts. In addition to that I turn the hand and thumb warmer on and it gives me 12 volts at idle still low volts at rev. I test all these at the headlight plug and at the voltage regulator itself.

Any suggestions? Why would the voltage go down with higher RPM?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
From the service manual:
Turn the multitester dial to the Volts AC position.
Regulated Voltage
1. Connect the alternator to main harness connector.
2. Insert one of the tester leads along the side of the yellow regulator wire connector between the insulation and the terminal.
3. Ground the other tester lead.
4. Start engine and observe headlight output. Increase engine RPM. If the headlights seem dim above 3500 RPM, let the engine return to idle and disconnect the yellow wire from the regulator. Carefully observe the voltage reading. Do not allow voltage to increase above 14.0 volts.
5. Slowly increase RPM. Voltage above 12 volts at 2500 - 3000 and a bright headlight, indicates a good lighting coil. Voltage below 1 0 volts at 3000 indicates excessive system loads, poor flywheel magnets, lighting coil problems, or wires harness problems. Check for partially grounded (shorted) yellow wire.
6. Reconnect the yellow regulator wire and increase the RPM. If the headlight was bright with the regulator disconnected and dim when connected at the same RPM, the regulator or regulator ground is at fault.

I have attached the wiring diagram which shows resistance readings for stator and ignition coils.

Attachments

• 1999 Polaris Trail RMK Wiring.pdf
    34 KB · Views: 2
J
Nov 19, 2019
Stealing this post a bit, but I have gone through three regulators in the last three seasons. The last blew all the lights (not cheap to replace all the headlight bulbs even from Walmart). Anyhow, has anyone seen better durability from the Arctic Cat regulators. I can order a salvage regulator from a 2003 Mountain Cat for a reasonable price. I can usually find OE salvage Polaris regulators, but they don't make it long. Thanks

Premium Features