• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why no aftermarket easy steer spindles???

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
I have an 09 M8 LE with the same hard steering. It is fine on the trail when I'm on it which is not very often. The problem lies is when you are winding through the trees at a slow pace. The sled will not turn. I have called a ton of dealers and every one has a different answer. The common on being, live with it. I have run my limiter strap out, gave it more preload, ran my front shocks low, checked ski alinement (sp). The last two dealers I talked to gave me the advice that was backwards of everything I have learned over the years. Try running your front floats with at least 75 lbs. Suck up your limiter strap one hole from full out. Run your ski alignment (right sp) with a 1/8 to 1/4 inch toe in. Start your front skid shock preload with about three threads on the bottom and work up from there. This is as far as I have got without more testing. I can't test for a few more days so let me know how it works. One more thing that I will do before I go out is spray all steering ends with Pam cooking spray.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
ANYONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE THE 08 AND UP STEERING, BUY THE 05-07 SPINDLES.

I am running the 07 spindles on my 2011. Makes a world of difference. It is like having power steering.

I am also running the Powder Pro skis. I personally despise the stock skis. The HCR skis are a little better though. The stock skis are just not aggressive enough for me.

The Powder Pros are very difficult to steering the stock spindles. My arms would always be sore.

Changed to the 07 spindles and rode two days back to back without the arms being sore at all.

I ground the steering stops for tighter turning radius. Seems similar to the 2011 spindles.

I also had to cut 1/4" off each side of each tie rod.

I needed the tie rod end for the spindle side of the 2007 spindles. I removed the tie rod end from my steering rack. Then I took the tie rod off the spindle side of my 2011 to put them on my steering rack side.

Now I have power steering! Or at least it feels that way. Makes it a lot easier to counter steer in the powder even!

BlueM018.jpg

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've never had a single issue steering my M, in stock form or in mod form *shrug* ... I thought it was pretty easy to steer right off the show room floor.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
GlennRMK, could you please explain the below items a little more?

My 2007 spindles should arrive shortly.

I understand the first quote beow but, is it related to the second quote?

Here are the quotes.

"I also had to cut 1/4" off each side of each tie rod".

"I needed the tie rod end for the spindle side of the 2007 spindles. I removed the tie rod end from my steering rack. Then I took the tie rod off the spindle side of my 2011 to put them on my steering rack side".

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Of course the stock skis steer easily because they don't bite at all. Also, if you think your 08 and newer M steers easily, go ride an M7 and tell me what you think

I've heard the SLP SLT skis steer more easily for something inbetween. I like the HCR skis a little better but not enough steering control for me.

I just like the bite and control the Powder Pros offer in deep powder and loose snow.

Keep in mind I like riding the trees in up and down terrain.

The tie rod ends that are on your 2009 spindles need to get moved to the steering rack.

You need the tie rod ends that go on the 2005-2007 spindles.

At least that is how I did mine.

Not sure if it can be done differently or not.

J
Mar 28, 2008
Bad Steering

Glann, what did the tie rod end shuffle and the addition of the oldies get you? Is it steering like an M7 now?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've never had a single issue steering my M, in stock form or in mod form *shrug* ... I thought it was pretty easy to steer right off the show room floor.

Aaaaaaaaaand an after putting in a day on thiis sled with Powder Pros I retract this statement. It steers like a drunken yak.

I'm gonna order the 05-07 spindles on Tuesday.

Are they a direct swap into an 09'?

Wow I don't think I fully realized how non-aggressive the stock skis on this sled were until i just put these PP's on.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Of course the stock skis steer easily because they don't bite at all. Also, if you think your 08 and newer M steers easily, go ride an M7 and tell me what you think

I've heard the SLP SLT skis steer more easily for something inbetween. I like the HCR skis a little better but not enough steering control for me.

I just like the bite and control the Powder Pros offer in deep powder and loose snow.

Keep in mind I like riding the trees in up and down terrain.

The tie rod ends that are on your 2009 spindles need to get moved to the steering rack.

You need the tie rod ends that go on the 2005-2007 spindles.

At least that is how I did mine.

Not sure if it can be done differently or not.

Do you have any pictures of what you did on yours?

I think I'm gonna orde the 05 spindles this week.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Mine should be here tomorrow.

GlennRMK do you have exact lengths to cut the tie rods to?

Even better how about a step by step for those of use going from an 08 or new to the older style spindles?

I do have an extra steering stock 09 M8 steering rod that I replaced with the HCR version (beefier). I wonder if I could use this for a part of the mod?

Not to muddy the waters too much but, then there is always this fix for the problem.......................................

http://www.backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=9038

Last edited:
G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Here ya go.

There may be other ways to do this, but this is how I did mine.

1.) Remove tie rod end on spindle side of your 08-11 spindles

2.) Remove tie rod end from steering rack

3.) Bolt spindle side tie rod end on the steering rack (tie rod ends are not identical and you could use a longer bolt, but seems like the stock bolt goes in plenty far)

4.) Utilizing your 08-11 tie rods, trim 1/4" off each side. I used a hacksaw, but band saw or chop saw would be better. I actually did 5/16" off each side but 4 or 5 threads are showing on the tie rod. 5/16" off one side seems to get you real close, but wouldn't quite make it for me.

5.) Remove your 08-11 spindles

6.) Install 05-07 spindles with the spindle side tie rod ends for 05-07s. You may chose to grind the stops. I did and steering radius seems very close to the newer spindles. Otherwise you lose you steering radius with 05-07 spindles.

7.) Connect tie rods and and do ski alignment

This takes some time but is well worth it if your running an aggressive ski, like the Powder Pros, C&As, etc.

Some side notes.

I had to swap the tie rod ends around because if you try to use the tie rods on the steering rack with the 05-07 spindle side tie rod ends it will not work. They are threaded the same way.

To make the tie rods adjust you need one reverse thread tie rod end and one standard thread tie rod end. That is why I swapped around.

I am unsure if you can use the tie rod end off the 08-11 spindle side on the 05-07 spindle side. I couldn't get the ends off my my 07 spindles so I did not play with this.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thank you.

I have the part numbers written down that you though one needed to do this mod originally.

2 1605-015 Tie Rod Ends
2 1623-176 Bolts

Do I not need to buy any parts now? That would be great!

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
just did spindle swap on my 09 1000 got spindles off e bay 30.00 buck a peice trimed 3/8 inch from stock tie rods .no other parts required.note have heard the spill about set many times tried very combo with no help, lube heated etc.seems like certain people love this sled so much they are afraid to say that the steering effort on them is to high. i don,t want to ajust my skid to compensate for hard steering,i want steering easy enough to just ajust for performance.just saying.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Another fairly easy thing to do to make it easier to turn the skis is to simply cut off some of the skags that are behind the spindles. Makes a big difference (depending on how much you cut off) and I've never noticed any bad side effects doing it. Just another thought for everyone.

Premium Features