• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

K mod Skinny on polaris matrix anyone done it?

J
Sep 1, 2011
S/E MN
Hello all, I have a 2024 Boost supposedly coming. I am coming off the cat alpha and love the mono rail set up. Easy to override at times. I ordered the K mod Skinny 5.5 for it but having second thoughts on if I should have gone with the SKINNY Skinny and ordered drivers and a p claw track. I ordered the whole 5.5 set up from Kevin and came with 3" camo 300 cut and punched. My back does not allow me to twist much. Thats why I am asking if anyone has done this before. I am afraid the 5.5 won't be near as easy to ride as I hoped it would be. Unless someone has installed the 5.5 skinny on the Boost can please leave a review of it.
Thank you Josh

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I don’t know anyone who has done the 5.5, but quite a few that have done the skinny. They all loved it and said they’d never be happy riding a matryx without one.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Haven't heard much on that topic lately - seems it was a thing when the alpha came out but then died off ....thinking that the skinny would be best of both as lots of ac riders on the site seemingly preferring dual rail to single beam ....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
no help to you but i was curious and looked it up, wow, i did not know they made something in between stock and skinny. this will be the future for most mountain sleds imo. something in between. I thought arctic had some kind of patent on moving rails together, wonder if k-mod had to buy rights or something. 5.5 sounds perfect to me, not sure i like the outboard wheels tho, negates some of it. I bet you could at least pull the rear set of outboard idlers for a litlle extra give.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
no help to you but i was curious and looked it up, wow, i did not know they made something in between stock and skinny. this will be the future for most mountain sleds imo. something in between. I thought arctic had some kind of patent on moving rails together, wonder if k-mod had to buy rights or something. 5.5 sounds perfect to me, not sure i like the outboard wheels tho, negates some of it. I bet you could at least pull the rear set of outboard idlers for a litlle extra give.
Same here. I see they are advertising the 5.5" width on the polaris and ski-doo pages and the full skinny on only the cat page. I'm wondering if Cat got after them for selling the skinny concept on other brands and had to modify it. As I understand the way Cat's patent is written it limits the outside-outside dimension of the hyfax.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
$4800 for the 5.5! Pricey setup.

I think you can get a carbon skid for the same price. Would be interesting to see which one is better versus stock.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
5.5 comes with a track though.

Depending on snow conditions it should dominate the series 7 or 8
It also comes with the Kmod HD drop brackets and Avid drivers.

Kevin has a 5.5 installed on his personal Boost and loves it. There are 3 others that bought a 5.5 for the Boost last season. The Camso LX-300 track is way better than the 2.75.

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I talked with Kmod a lot at the show. You can still get a skinny for any sled, he just feels like the 5.5 works better on the doo and Polaris

J
Sep 1, 2011
S/E MN
Finally got the 5.5 installed Kevin is top notch with customer service and this skid is very well built and should tear up the mountain. It tips side to side easily and feels a lot like an alpha. Super excited to try it out and will leave a review. Sled gained 4 lbs over all but super happy with how it all turned out.

IMG_2911.jpeg IMG_2912.jpeg IMG_2913.jpeg IMG_2910.jpeg IMG_2909.jpeg

KMOD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Firth
kmodsnowmobileparts.com
As far as ski pressure the reason I purchased a boost was to get the mounting and geometry correct. I rode the sled stock for the first ride and was pleased with overall performance and handling of the sled, we were in about a 1' of new snow so the agility was ok. It rode down the trail like a lumber wagon!!!! even after I adjusted the dampening and spring preload, it was horrible. Then I installed the 5.5 Skinny and Fox L/W QS3 front ski shocks, out to the local foothills for some testing. The first noticeable trait was ski pressure which made it a little harder to maneuver. But it had a definite improvement in ride on the trail, so back to the shop. I ended up moving the rear mount in the drop bracket up 3/4" which still left plenty of room for snow evacuation.... Next ride out we had about a foot of new snow and bigger mountains, first down the trail was noticeably smoother with the skid and front shocks, then heading up a drainage I noticed very quickly how balanced the sled felt, very easy to ride and hold an edge, yet could pull the front end up when needed.... very playful. Heavy steering was all gone, I really got to liking the way the sled performed, very easy to ride from a neutral position, and much easier to ride old school with both feet on the running board, very predictable balance point when side hilling. Typical K MOD handling eating up the bumps when pounding out a hill or cutting across cuts and trenches. When traversing downhill then turning back up was much easier with predictable control after making the turn, with little input to get to the line you wanted to go back up on. After I added a Bikeman tune and SLP muffler this has been one of the most enjoyable sleds to date.
Kevin

Premium Features