• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upgrade Suspension??

titus_4

Doo It Big
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 27, 2019
Indiana
This might sound like a dumb question, but I'm asking it anyways. What exactly is the reason to upgrade the suspension on a mountain sled? I understand on a trail sled because of hitting bumps all day long.

I'm not talking about the trail ride in either. Actually riding. Assume too that I'm not doing giant cliff drops like the movies show. Tree riding, playing in meadows, some climbing (but not super long & crazy chutes).

I'm a novice mountain rider but trying to increase my skills. I'm riding a 22 Summit Edge 154 with the HPG shocks. Lots of options for replacement shocks, but I probably see Fox as the most common replacement. Plus, I think they look the best, not like that matters much.

So back to the main question, how much do the shocks really do when you are riding in snow measured in feet? Not inches like a trail sled. Does it make that big of a difference when carving around a meadow? Make it easier to sidehill? I like the idea of the QS3 from Fox where there's less adjustment, but I'm also intrigued by the Floats so you have the QS3 but can also play with air pressure to dial in or change things as needed. When reading the comparison between coils and air, the #1 thing people say is air can leave you stranded in the back county if you blow a seal or a valve. How many people have actually had or seen that happen compared to just reading about the possibility of it on the internet?

Also, FWIW, I'm most likely looking to buy something used. Don't ride enough or feel like I have the necessary skill to justify spending $3500+ on aftermarket shocks.

Any help/clarification/first hand experience is appreciated. Or any links where this has been discussed before. I tried to search here and from Google but couldn't figure out the right phrase to search to get the info I'm looking for.

D
Mar 13, 2014
I believe shocks improve everything not just snowmobiling. For me factory shocks are severely under valved. I like a very stiff rear suspension, I feel it is more predictable and precise. Others like a soft more progressive suspension which often times requires aftermarket or valving to factory. Front shocks are a little different but correct springs etc can give you more control and feedback when you carve into an old rut log etc, than you get into rebound and all that.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Properly set up ski shocks make i big difference softening hard transitions, old tracks or any abrupt hits. You stay much more in control and when you have a few miles at the end of the day on a whooped out trail from hell you will really appreciate them too.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
I think the only reason you would upgrade a mountain suspension on the newer sleds of today is if you were after more weight transfer and wanted to mess with a limiter strap arrangement allowing for more weight transfer. Other than that you could spend a lot of money and time accomplishing minimal change.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I have the exact same sled as you and I ordered Tom's kit with fox shocks and have only went for a short ride so far but I think it rides pretty nice. We leave next week for a 5 day trip and I'll be able to give a good review after that. I had the extra money to blow it on the upgrade is the only reason I did it.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Rider weight plays into it as well. These generally are designed for a person of average size and weight. There are others who fall outside of that general design spec, myself included.

As stated most of it comes down to budget. On the more affordable end is revalve, other end is aftermarket. Once you ride high end suspension, it's tough to go back to stock.

Suggest riding it first and adjusting the stock suspension, making note of the changes and handling characteristics before vs after. Repeat until you get the ride quality you're looking for. It will take some time but worth it so you understand what you like and if it meets your needs.

If the stock suspension is doing what you want, save the money. If not, then you have options.

What you spend on suspension can pay for a few trips to go ride.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Stock shocks are too soft in both valving and springs and usually heavier steel bodied. I like Fox QS3’s and Exits they’re better than the higher priced stock KYB’s offered by doo

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Conditions change and your shocks should be able to change with those conditions. Rough trail, steep climbing, hard snow, bottomless pow, jumping, or just doubling the girlfriend on a machine built for one. Just about making it easier and more enjoyable.

titus_4

Doo It Big
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 27, 2019
Indiana
Since there's been a couple replies since January, figured I'd update. I ended up find a new set of coil QS3 for a steal so I went that route. Although I never rode my sled with the stock shocks, I definitely like the Fox shocks better than the Pro36 on the Freeride I had.

Buddy has a 165 Edge with the same Fox shocks so we did some playing around with the settings but not a ton. Rode mostly on 1 on the front and 2 on the back. Couple days I did switch to 2 on the fronts for the ride home since the trail was a little rough and it was a noticeable improvement. I locked the rear out a couple times while climbing and it helped as well.

Looking forward to playing around with them some more this year and checking out how adjusting the rebound setting changes things.

Highly recommend.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
The manufacturers generally have really well dialed set-ups for the all around rider. I ride a little more aggressive than your average rider and have found the adjustments in the factory shocks generally cover the bases as far as what i want them to do. I would recommend saving your $$$. I purchased a sled from a friend a few years ago where the dealer had revalved and resprung my stock 850 shock package, the compression settings available to me were, bulge a disc, crack a vertebrae, and crush a vertebrae. After a few rides and bouncing up chopped up hardpack uphills like a frickin pogostick I pulled them off and placed them in the shed for a rainy day, I dug up some old stock shocks and improved my riding experience and performance 100%. Be careful what you special order it may be a Huge!! step backwards.

Premium Features