• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whistler

kyler25

Lifetime Membership
Jul 27, 2009
Burley, Idaho
Does anyone have any info on whistler? Just wondered how the snow was stacking up. Thinking of making a trip there this month if the snow is decent. Thanks

B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
apparently they got around 27cm and there was some boarding & skiing (Privately) done on the Glacier of Blackcomb Mtn. recently... depends on where u wanna ride as there are tons of different riding areas near whistler...the most popular areas will need a lot more snow to fill n creeks & crevas's...I wont ride until mid dec anywhere along the southcoast.

B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
looks like we're off to the same start as last year....so frustrating. long term not lookin good either...we're packin up & headin up to Revy.

D
Apr 28, 2009
We were up at brandy on saturday. Trail ride to the meadow was a **** show since there's not enough snow down low.

Meadow is lookin pretty sad. Maybe 2ft at best. Went up the gauntlet (good to go) but the glacier is still pretty thin. Lots of open crevasses still (travel with caution).

Unloaded at around 6km.

I won't be going back until we get like 6+ ft. Looks like it is time to hit the road..................

I

insanity

Feb 10, 2012
Langley
www.teragon.ca
Road Sproatt today. Sucks a**. Snow must have gotten rained on then froze at the tail end of the storm. We were expecting powder. Now we need a good storm without a temperature inversion.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Been sledding in Whistler for 20+ years. Ya know, the plastic paddle track years? Well, maybe ya don't remember.
Anyhoo, we never ride Brandywine/Callaghan/Pemberton until late January even with a lot of snow. I mean 15+ feet. We have what, 6 ft so far?

There are rocks the size of houses, crevasses over 200 ft deep and they need snow cover to make a safe snow bridge across them to ride safely over them. That smooth terrain in March is not smooth all year round.

My point is to stay out of those areas until we get at least 10 more feet of snow. Whistler averages about 35ft/year. We don't have enough snow yet. Not even close.

Yes, I understand you have a new 15k sled with new gear you want to try out. Yes, Whistler got another foot recently. Big deal, still not enough.

"But I stay on the trail." Your not getting it.

My point is, at the moment,the risk is not worth the reward. Be patient please.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Dec 21 2014 Whistler.... Been riding Sea 2 Sky for over 20 years myself. Always rode the Xmas holidays. Brandy needs lots of snow, but not everywhere does.

Ride Whistler Technical Clinic (16 of 49).jpg

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
As I'm sure you know, it's all the areas after avalanche alley or up and out of rental bowl/metaldome that I'm referring to. If you wanna ride trees, there are some areas but it's pretty hurting for snow at this time. Read: stumps and ditches.
Let's not false advertise or mislead people by posting pics from Dec 21 after a good dump. There has been no big snowfalls to speak of since then. Even if there has, the majority has been melted or rained away.
Normally there's tons of snow(over 30 feet/year on average), it's the best riding in the world but then, I haven't been around the world.
Cheers!

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Went into Brandy today. Up the S chute, to Grizzly. Easy going. Coming off Grizzly on to the cap has some openings, so be careful. After that went all the way around the world to Good old Callahan. Callahan still catches all the snow. Was pretty deep and only four tracks. Burnt all our fuel and mountain cans. We need to fight to get the Callahan access back.

B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
Did Seagams yesterday...was a brutal hard ride in, but had a few ft. of fresh up top & blue skies...still lots of holes to watch out for. Definitely a down year...cant believe how little the snow pack is.

L

lewey

Dec 26, 2007
vancouver
Went into Brandy today. Up the S chute, to Grizzly. Easy going. Coming off Grizzly on to the cap has some openings, so be careful. After that went all the way around the world to Good old Callahan. Callahan still catches all the snow. Was pretty deep and only four tracks. Burnt all our fuel and mountain cans. We need to fight to get the Callahan access back.

isn't callahan off limits to motorized vehicles?

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/callaghan_lk/banner-pass-section58-closure-sign.pdf

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
I really miss lake Callahan, we hit that after a 6 foot dump and it was all we could do to get across the lake then start taking whacks at the trail to get up to the glacier! :face-icon-small-hapGood ole days!

Premium Features