• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whistler

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Yes those were the days. Poke through he trees, get stuck with 1 1/2 paddle track. Shovel, turn around. Let next guy take a whack at it. Love at the end of the day juuuuust getting to break out of the trees the good stuff then turning around to go home.

It only took about 2x of that workout to let someone else break trail the day after a dump, then hit it hard on day 2. All the while shaking my head at all the shovel marks, turnarounds and trenches!!!

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
Yes those were the days. Poke through he trees, get stuck with 1 1/2 paddle track. Shovel, turn around. Let next guy take a whack at it. Love at the end of the day juuuuust getting to break out of the trees the good stuff then turning around to go home.

It only took about 2x of that workout to let someone else break trail the day after a dump, then hit it hard on day 2. All the while shaking my head at all the shovel marks, turnarounds and trenches!!!

I was one of the guys making those shovel marks! LOL I would always be one of the first ones breaking trail up there back in 90's. Loved breaking that trail!

I started a petition in 2011 to keep Callaghan Lake open. Even though I had a LOT of signatures, sledders were over-ruled. It is still open to motorized vehicles from May 15th to November 1st and highly doubt we will ever get it back.

Last April I went into the west side of Callaghan Lake from Rutherford and it was still just as much fun coming back up through the trees with the exception of how easy it was on late model sleds that we ride today.

H
Feb 16, 2009
Anyone going up Saturday ? Can you let me know if it rained to the top again or we have deep fresh snow .
I can go on Sunday only .... Thanks in advance

B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
was still pi$$ing rain at 5500ft today...+2 temps & gusty winds...this is really starting to look ugly. Sure wish I lived back east, at least for this season...Its even raining in Revy. I guess we gotta header up to Alaska...maybe they have snow!

D
Feb 8, 2015
snowline?

How far up the hill is the snowline/drop-off? Any accumulation of snow in the alpine with this last bunch of precipitation that came through on Friday and Saturday?
Thanks!

U

UBRultra

Jan 24, 2008
Word is, the road in is washed out in several areas and impassable. Heading up this week and may take a look as impassable means different things to different people... :)

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
Went riding yesterday, man was it depressing. For comparison I usually unload at 3 km. Which is about 4-500 meters elevation. Yesterday I was around 9-10 km which is around 1000-1100 meters elevation (estimate) and there was a bunch of bare road to run.

I estimate the snow pack to be 1/4 or less at 1500 meters than years previous. My buddy and I just shook our heads in disbelief.

Had the stop 6-8 times to cool our sleds, shoveling the ice crust off to the sugar below just to get to the riding. Once there we did a couple pulls up a hill where the sun had started to melt the ice, then did some small water crossings and left. Probably the hardest 25 miles I've put on my poor poor sled.

We still had fun and it was great to get out, but I hope this is an isolated weather year.

B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
Man it is so sad...I just got back from Revy for 3 days & it was +6 at the top of Boulder & Frisby and raining...I spoke to guys from all over B.C. Alta, & the U.S. & they said its the same where they are to. Sure hope its just this season...I haven't even had a deep pow day yet this year...I've usually had 20 by now. I may need counselling if this is my season...and I'm afraid a 2-4ft dump will just slap a band-aid on some serious hazards.

B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
anyone been anywhere along the sea to sky lately? wondering if its worth 1 last rip after this latest dump! Is anything even accessible?

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
The pics above were from yesterday. Rode there on Saturday and the snow was waist deep but super heavy!!! Building up massive snowballs in front and then jumping them.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427120021.819276.jpg

Last edited:
B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
I'm assuming you were at Brandywine? We're you able to access the alpine/ grizzly lake?
Did u go up the gauntlet? Probably go ride tmrw. How far up the trail did you have to drive passed the upper lot?

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
Even though I have a season pass at Powder Mountain (Brandywine) I have not rode there for at least five years. I just buy the pass to support the BCSF. I only ride alpine when there is no snow in the trees!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427126387.780189.jpg

Trees are more fun! LOL

I did hear that guys went back to Grizzly from Brandywine though.

B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
Good stuff, thx for the info! Ya I just want to ride anything decent! This year hasn't been great for us. Hopefully we can still get some fresh up there!

Premium Features