• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whats the best aftermarket tunnel and rear suspsension out there?

B

BCP

Feb 26, 2008
Bay City
CR tunnel with EZ ride skid, US and Canada good to go, just as long as it isnt made in Mexico or China!!! Have assembled both VE and CR and believe that CR is lighter without sacrifice of strength, VE is sweet too but prefer the CR and EZ Ride is made in Michigan so that is a must if it works for you or not it may be the last thing manufactured in Michigan so you have to support them!!

W

wildchild

Jul 4, 2001
lumby
scrapping the delrin slide bushing and just getting some oilite bushings made
Stick with the delrin its a better bushing material than oilite.

Last edited:
CR tunnel with EZ ride skid, US and Canada good to go, just as long as it isnt made in Mexico or China!!! Have assembled both VE and CR and believe that CR is lighter without sacrifice of strength, VE is sweet too but prefer the CR and EZ Ride is made in Michigan so that is a must if it works for you or not it may be the last thing manufactured in Michigan so you have to support them!!

I hear ya about the michigan thing...i can't even find a job in bozeman. The CR tunnels do look trick, probably couldn't of gone wrong either way. I think a big reason a lot of guys go with the timbersled is because of the price tag. I mean it was hard to beat the price of timbersled when compaired to holtz or ez ride.

M

mnsledder

Dec 5, 2007
There's been a lot of good ideas on here. After looking into a few suggestions, I have to agree that the Ez Ryde is a little pricey, but is it worth it? They use the single arm vs the standard two arm like Timber, Kmod and etc. Also, between the VE and Cr tunnels, what experiences have you guys had and which one to do you believe is stronger and more value for the dollar?

A
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Marais, MN
Im curious how many sled lengths on the hill an aftermarket tunnel will make over stock?

I don't think it is length measured in sleds that they are after;)
Compensating for something?

OK, OK, I admit it. I am jealous of those of you who can drop the coin for an aftermarket tunnel.

On a serious note, why doesn't anyone like the holz suspensions? They always seem to be near the top of the hillclimb circuits. Anyone have any real life experience with the new holz skids.

I'm assuming most people don't just get aftermarket tunnels for the fun of it. I had some damages from last year with a dent and slight tear about halfway down my stock tunnel. I'm in the sled too much money to just sell it and no sense in getting another stock tunnel when you could get something stronger and lighter that looks real trick.

P
Feb 27, 2009
I'm new to this posting thing but I have to weigh in on this. Has anyone noticed.......all of the best RMSHA racers use EZRYDE. I was at jackson last year and noticed that everay mod class winner was running an EZ. I recently watched Bret Rassmusens SCHOOLED video. That skid flat out rocks! Bruandt is also running one. It's got to tell you something and it made me buy one. For me....... it was money well spent!

R
Aug 30, 2008
I had a KMOD on my 04 King Cat, I Transfered it to my TM7 and worked really good on both sleds. The ride is fantastic, and provides unbelievable ski pressure. KMOD has a new Generation that I think will kick butt. One thing I agree with Product Tester/Twisted Turbo's is he ran a KMOD suspension under his TM1200 174. After watching that sled on some of the vids, the performance of the KMOD was clearly demonstrated. Brad Story won the Big Iron Shoot out in 2005 with his TM7 beating out all four strokes and other sleds. He told me he attributed that success to the sled itself, and the KMOD suspension he ran.

The new Generation KMOD is close to the same weight as Timbersled, and you will be less likely to have no bushing issues, bent componants if you land to hard, wheelieing issues and a soar back at the end of the day. Kevin has really done a good job in designing regitity, simplicity, strength, durability, and most important the ability to keep and maintain ski pressure.

Another necessity it offers is the ability to maintain rigity, and soak up the bumps while climbing. To many times I have seen huge horsepower sleds on a technical climb not make it over the top because their rear skid didn't do its job.

I have been way impressed with the KMOD suspension and way impressed with Kevins customer service.

There is no way anyone will or could go wrong with purchasing a KMOD.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Im not sure where you guys ride but where we ride we use snow for suspension.

whats this we bit..???...you got fleas or crabs...???...the reason i ask is because you seem to have the only sled in the world that is perfect yet you seem to indicate that you are accompanied by someone when you ride...but since no one can get to the same places your great machine can i just have to assume you got fleas or crabs...

K
Jan 12, 2008
I don't think it is length measured in sleds that they are after;)
Compensating for something?

OK, OK, I admit it. I am jealous of those of you who can drop the coin for an aftermarket tunnel.

On a serious note, why doesn't anyone like the holz suspensions? They always seem to be near the top of the hillclimb circuits. Anyone have any real life experience with the new holz skids.

holz makes the arctic cat M series skid

L
Dec 7, 2007
whats this we bit..???...you got fleas or crabs...???...the reason i ask is because you seem to have the only sled in the world that is perfect yet you seem to indicate that you are accompanied by someone when you ride...but since no one can get to the same places your great machine can i just have to assume you got fleas or crabs...

My sled isnt perfect. It needs a turbo.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
My sled isnt perfect. It needs a turbo.

whew...i left myself open..you could have replied you ride two up to get to all these places in the mountains that we can;t get too...so im saying it before you do:beer;..yep the turbo prices are coming down..when they are what they shoud be i will look at one possibly as well

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
I'm new to this posting thing but I have to weigh in on this. Has anyone noticed.......all of the best RMSHA racers use EZRYDE. I was at jackson last year and noticed that everay mod class winner was running an EZ. I recently watched Bret Rassmusens SCHOOLED video. That skid flat out rocks! Bruandt is also running one. It's got to tell you something and it made me buy one. For me....... it was money well spent!

You are absolutely right. The EZ is a darn nice setup that works really well on the hillclimb circuit. And Im sure it works darn well in real world conditions as well.

It is just expensive, has had issues dealing with big power and outweighs some of the other options.

Jake

P
Feb 27, 2009
Most of the race sleds at Jackson had turbos. Should also note they were all running paddles on their tracks. I couldn't tell how much but you could see it when you were standing by the pits and sled were turned over our on a stand. I'm sure this would significantly increase traction and lift. They didn't appear to have any lift issues. I also noticed that the Tapio tacks were very loose. You could see them whipping as they warmed up their sleds.

I did some research before buying and found out that the skid was changed in 2008. I called and they were honest. They told me that there had been some track tightness and ratcheting issues on boosted sleds. They also told me that they redesigned the skid to resolve this. I have a BD turbo and a 2009 EZ. I'm telling you it flat out works!

The only other negative commets I heard was about trenching. Just watch the SCHOOLED video and you will be convienced that it not an issue. I Know it does much better than the stock skid I took out

I can also tell you that I did not see a single moutain tamer skid at jackson (they were there selling but no racers appeared to be using them). I only noticed two Holz Skids. My only regret is that I didn't get a free one! They gave two away a Jackson. I still bought one and it is worth every cent I paid. I know its a lot of coin but you get what you pay for.

P
Feb 22, 2004
Wisconsin
I disagree vehemently with anyone who says the EZ Ryde tends to trench. This has been the most trenching-resistant skid I've ever run. My '07 will ratchet a bit if the track is too loose, but I've seen guys running these on Turbo Apexes with no issues also so...

Yes, it's pricey, but not terrible considering how much we spend on this sport...

Premium Features