• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

General snowmobile questions

S
Dec 25, 2022
Idaho
I am currently looking into getting my first snowmobile. Not new, but probably something made in the last 7 or so years? Can almost guarantee I wouldn't be open to spend over 9-10K. I have done research, but have some questions related to my specific use case. I am located on the west coast and looking to use this snowmobile for recreation in the backcountry. Knowing me, I will want to try progress towards more "big mountain" style riding. In addition to looking to have fun on it riding solo, I hope to also be able to have a buddy hop on with his skis, and I take him to the top of the feature/mountain. My question is, at what point does the extra weight matter? Should I be worried about the weight of a friend occasionally hopping on it? From my research it seems like a ~165" track will be best for my use cases? I am pretty new to all of this, so any input about snowmobiling is appreciated.

I do have to say that the Polaris machines seem pretty sweet, I have also had good experience with Polaris products. Is it worth considering other brands besides polaris? With their sleds seeming to be so popular, I can appreciate what I expect to be a wide availability of their parts.

Thanks.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
You can get some darn good sleds for 9-10k and they don’t have to be 7-8 years old.
Riding double just to get someone to skiing won’t be too bad on any 2015 or newer machine. It’s never fun to ride double IMO.
Look for a new-ish Polaris or Doo 800 in good shape. Honestly any track 151” or longer will be fine. I’d ask if it’s had any work on the engine or the clutches, check out the overall condition of things, etc. pretty easy to check things like track lugs and ski carbides and if the thing looks “beat up”.
Good luck in the search. Plenty of good used sleds out there especially as people get their new ones.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Doos I'd stay away from 2017 and 2018 850s. If you go older find a 2015 or 2016 800 with the T3 package. Aftermarket clutching is a good upgrade for any Doo.

Cat stay 2016 or newer. I wouldn't buy a 16 or 17 personally though, 2018 and newer are much better sleds.

Polaris 2016 and newer are good, 2018 and newer are better and more refined (less gremlins) with the exception of 2019s with the 850 motor. Absolutely do not buy a 2019 Polaris 850. If you get one with the 38" front end, upgrading to the 36" front end is a great upgrade.

Premium Features