• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to buy??? Advice please!

K
Dec 17, 2015
Greetings All!! My primary goal is getting through some often deep and fluffy stuff, up to 4+' at times to access a property I built at 10K'. Reliability is the next most important thing...which sleds are the most reliable?? Speed/performance are nice to have, but definitely secondary to reliability (I am mechanically inclined but don't want to be fixing up crap on the go!). Budget wise I was hoping to pick up two sleds for @10-15K combined. What say you experts?? Thanks in advance! Kyle

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Warranty does not mean reliable but yes as Duvall says if you get a polaris make sure it has a good warranty

K
Dec 17, 2015
So I'm hearing that Polaris' typically aren't as reliable as the Arctic Cat's? Any other opinions out there, I'm seeing quite a few M8's for sale, also some RMK Polaris. Any other suggestions or advice, looking to pull the trigger in the next few days.

Thanks.

snoluver

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
If your main goal is accessing your property and reliability over joy riding, I would be looking to the utility side of things. You can pick up 2 brand new Tundra sports for 14k. If you want some performance you can get crazy and go with a Tundra Extreme but those are a little spendy. My guess is you'll be wanting to haul stuff in to your cabin and a utility sled would far better suit your needs than a performance sled with limited storage, tow capacity, etc.

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
So I'm hearing that Polaris' typically aren't as reliable as the Arctic Cat's? Any other opinions out there, I'm seeing quite a few M8's for sale, also some RMK Polaris. Any other suggestions or advice, looking to pull the trigger in the next few days.

Thanks.

If you ask this question, you are going to get a lot of very opinionated people who are very passionate about said opinion.

If you are serious, then here are some things to consider.

The M8 is a great, reliable sled. My buddy has a 2010 HCR with 4k miles on it and all we have done to it is clutch work. No top end or anything. It runs like a clock. That being said, the M chassis is an older chassis that has since been replaced with the Pro-Climb. The M chassis changed the world of backcountry sledding. It was THE pioneer when it came out. By far one of the easiest chassis to learn to ride on and get pretty much anywhere.

Next.... The holdover PRO was mentioned.... The PRO is a great chassis. Actually, it's awesome. Reliability issues are somewhat a thing of the past if you are buying new, and if you buy new, get an extended warranty. Let someone else do the wrenching so you can just ride and have fun.

I have owned all 3 major brands in the last 4 years. I started on an M series, bought a REV, then XP and now I am on a PRO. Each brand has it's followers and faithful, but truth be told, they are all great in their own regard. There isn't one that is leaps and bounds better than the others. If you can find someone to take you out and let you ride some, then that would be the best so you can experience them all and make up your mind.

Best of luck and have fun!! Be safe!!

D

Duvall Dean

Nov 8, 2003
Wenatchee, Wa.
Everyone has problems with the 8s that's why I said 600s
Haven't heard of even a fraction of the 6 compared to 8s having issues
3 yr war and ride em hard then he/they can graduate to bigger if so desired

Please correct me if I'm wrong
!!!!

K
Dec 17, 2015
If your main goal is accessing your property and reliability over joy riding, I would be looking to the utility side of things. You can pick up 2 brand new Tundra sports for 14k. If you want some performance you can get crazy and go with a Tundra Extreme but those are a little spendy. My guess is you'll be wanting to haul stuff in to your cabin and a utility sled would far better suit your needs than a performance sled with limited storage, tow capacity, etc.

The smaller track length (137") would be a concern would it not...I've been told longer is better in deeper snow? I agree the size/price/value combination is more appropriate for me, getting new should provide the most reliable option. Warranty was only 12 months.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I agree with leftover pro 600's. I bought the girlfriend one this fall for 8400. This was a '14 holdover. The 600 motor from polaris is dead reliable. The chassis is great and a 155" track will be very capable for you.

Y
Jan 30, 2009
Duvall Dean was dead on answering the OP.

600 pro

capable: YES
reliable: YES
affordable: YES
X2 under $15K: YES

Just read what someone is asking before you jump on your Brand
Soap Box.

D

Duvall Dean

Nov 8, 2003
Wenatchee, Wa.
Just trying to give an opinion I think is helpful

That's all this forum is is opinions

Some of them have factual backing with R&D but still a varying degree of an opinion
I don't care if someone else pushes their agenda, I have a pretty good BS detector

For the most part we are a great community of like minded people who ask for advice as well as give it and I for one feel lucky and privileged to be part of it

Yes, I like Polaris so hang me for it!

snoluver

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
The smaller track length (137") would be a concern would it not...I've been told longer is better in deeper snow? I agree the size/price/value combination is more appropriate for me, getting new should provide the most reliable option. Warranty was only 12 months.

Although I've never ridden one, its my understanding you'd have to try pretty hard to get a tundra stuck. More about gearing/clutching and foot print than track length. It seems to me the people suggesting RMK's and the like have not payed much attention to your desires/needs. For cripes sakes you can't even carry spare gas on an RMK tunnel without it folding in half. Thats not a knock against polaris. It's a purpose built light weight machine for a reason. Just not your reason, in my opinion. Put it this way, would you buy a corvette to haul fire wood with or would you buy a pick up truck?

Last edited:
Y
Jan 30, 2009
I don't see anywhere that the OP said he needed to haul 4 chords of wood and a months worth of groceries. I did notice that you suggested he could with a tundra.

Premium Features