• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should I buy a M1100 Turbo?

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
I'm just curious what you would look for in terms of maintenance records on a 2,000 mile 2 stroke?

Fresh clutches service is all that really comes to mind for me... which is something I would rather have done myself by someone reputable vs. some chit dealer.

The rest at 2k should be super simple stuff that a guy doesn't probably keep record of- plugs, belt, fresh fuel, skid grease.
Yeah basically, chain case oil changes, spark plugs, belts, clutch work, greased suspension.

I have a 18 mtn cat with 1900 miles, it needs nothing, has had a primary replaced once and was well kept.
My 14 is also 1900 miles and I had to replace every wheel in the skid, every bearing in the driveline, rebuild both clutches ( they were never cleaned or blown out) extract every seized pivot and worn bushing in the suspension.

It goes to show how regular maintenance goes.

J

JB-AK

Nov 21, 2022
Alaska
How hard would it be for you to come to northern ab/bc and scoop a machine up? the markets flooded down here and things keep going cheaper and cheaper... as predicted with a massive buying frenzy there will always be a bust... and I have a feeling we are at the end of the curve and its going to drop.

I wouldnt be afraid of a machine that has at 2000 miles as long as it had the maintenance records to show! I have friends that have had 800 etecs with 8000-10000km, with regular maintenance. I just expect to do some clutch work around 2000 miles with my type of riding. I would wait and just have the money for when a deal pops up and you will be able to jump! There will always be a good machine well maintained for a normal price, its a matter of how long you want to wait. The 14-17 m8000 were fantastic machines aswell, the 16+ is obviously going to be better but the older ones were not bad other than the handling and the clutches seem to have a shorter life.
I'd love to take a trip to BC. I'd just move to BC and not come back lol. I just have a hard time finding time to do it. I fly to the lower 48 periodically for work. But it's crazy expensive to rent a one-way truck. A uhaul is $8k one way, plus about $3-4k in fuel at current prices. I actually own a 16 foot enclosed trailer and a flatbed trailer that are both sitting at my parent's place in Bozeman Montana. But I just don't have any way to get my truck down there to tow one of them back up at any reasonable cost or time frame and I don't have enough flexibility with my job to do it. It's so compelling and still so far out of reach in other ways. I keep thinking about the idea of buying maybe 4 sleds down there or a couple sleds and a UTV and hauling a full trailer load back up. If I could work something out, I might even buy a truck there just for purposes of reselling it once I get back up to Alaska. There's enough of a price difference to possibly pencil out. But I'd still need the time free to do it. Every way I try to work it out ends up pointing me back to just over-paying for something local and accepting it for what it is.

The most recent one I'm curious about (if it's not a scam...) is a 2018 Tundra 600 Etec with a 154 track. It's $5k, but has 4,000 miles on it. Seems like high miles, but I'm thinking maybe the 600's are a little less stressed and have a longer service life? I know it's not really a mountain sled and the front suspension isn't nearly as advanced as the Summits, but the price seems reasonable and it would probably do what I need. The price actually kinda seems like a scam, so I'm a bit skeptical until I can get a chance to go take a look in person. Maybe this coming weekend. I'm not sure why this would be better than a Nytro with a 162 track though. It's about 80lbs lighter, but it seems like the nytro would be pretty comparable in terms of power and has a longer track. And I could pick both up for about the same price. I was thinking the nytro would tend to be more durable for utility work than the 600 Etec. But I guess I would probably be okay with either one.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I'd love to take a trip to BC. I'd just move to BC and not come back lol. I just have a hard time finding time to do it. I fly to the lower 48 periodically for work. But it's crazy expensive to rent a one-way truck. A uhaul is $8k one way, plus about $3-4k in fuel at current prices. I actually own a 16 foot enclosed trailer and a flatbed trailer that are both sitting at my parent's place in Bozeman Montana. But I just don't have any way to get my truck down there to tow one of them back up at any reasonable cost or time frame and I don't have enough flexibility with my job to do it. It's so compelling and still so far out of reach in other ways. I keep thinking about the idea of buying maybe 4 sleds down there or a couple sleds and a UTV and hauling a full trailer load back up. If I could work something out, I might even buy a truck there just for purposes of reselling it once I get back up to Alaska. There's enough of a price difference to possibly pencil out. But I'd still need the time free to do it. Every way I try to work it out ends up pointing me back to just over-paying for something local and accepting it for what it is.

The most recent one I'm curious about (if it's not a scam...) is a 2018 Tundra 600 Etec with a 154 track. It's $5k, but has 4,000 miles on it. Seems like high miles, but I'm thinking maybe the 600's are a little less stressed and have a longer service life? I know it's not really a mountain sled and the front suspension isn't nearly as advanced as the Summits, but the price seems reasonable and it would probably do what I need. The price actually kinda seems like a scam, so I'm a bit skeptical until I can get a chance to go take a look in person. Maybe this coming weekend. I'm not sure why this would be better than a Nytro with a 162 track though. It's about 80lbs lighter, but it seems like the nytro would be pretty comparable in terms of power and has a longer track. And I could pick both up for about the same price. I was thinking the nytro would tend to be more durable for utility work than the 600 Etec. But I guess I would probably be okay with either one.
Just curious what elevation will you be skiing at?

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Nytro's are actually a pretty durable sled. One thing to look out for though, is they can bend the front sub-frame if they take a pretty good whack on one side of the front suspension. You can tell if it's bent by looking across the front end from the side. If one spindle looks farther forward than the other, then most likely the sub-frame is bent. They are replaceable and there were aftermarket reinforcement kits, all though I'm not sure if that is still the case.
For handling and weight loss improvements, there were aftermarket forward position front A arms available that moved the spindle/skis forward for improved side-hilling and deep snow handling.
For weight loss, a popular trick was to swap out the rear skid with a Cat or Polaris Skid. This was good for about a 35-40 lbs weight loss, as the stock Nytro skid weighed about 75 lbs if I remember correctly.
Stock power was about 140 HP but with more torque than a similarly powered 2 stroke.

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
I had a reflashed 13 And loved it for sled skiing. Heavy, wide, and powerful. Nice for riding in control Canadian style of you have a track beat in not super tippy) That being said, I did a ton of work to it. I was also happy to mess around in the garage. Not the best sled for smaller rider or beginner. Needs big wide skis, venting, mds clutching and upgraded jackshaft.

J

JB-AK

Nov 21, 2022
Alaska
I had a reflashed 13 And loved it for sled skiing. Heavy, wide, and powerful. Nice for riding in control Canadian style of you have a track beat in not super tippy) That being said, I did a ton of work to it. I was also happy to mess around in the garage. Not the best sled for smaller rider or beginner. Needs big wide skis, venting, mds clutching and upgraded jackshaft.
There's a '16 Yamaha viper 162x3 near me with under 250 miles. Seems like that one with a turbo could be pretty similar. I'm curious why such low miles on it. That's only two tanks of gas.

I'm a big rider. About 63/200. Probably 225lbs RTR.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
honestly skidoo summits are ones i see doing what youre doing most. they have 16"wide tracks, others are 15. They steer very easy and go straight up hill and down hill very well. Cats tend to dive more side to side. Polaris is too fragile. The doo motors also burn very clean for a 2 stroke. Any of the Etec 800s, great choice, they kinda run like a 4 stroke really. '11 and up for these motors. You will simply want to lock out the 'T-motion' rear arm so its not tippy. Theyre all over for sale too. cheers!

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
honestly skidoo summits are ones i see doing what youre doing most. they have 16"wide tracks, others are 15. They steer very easy and go straight up hill and down hill very well. Cats tend to dive more side to side. Polaris is too fragile. The doo motors also burn very clean for a 2 stroke. Any of the Etec 800s, great choice, they kinda run like a 4 stroke really. '11 and up for these motors. You will simply want to lock out the 'T-motion' rear arm so its not tippy. Theyre all over for sale too. cheers!
I agree with you, very easy platform to kind of do it all. easy to ride and pretty reliable.

Premium Features