• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what is the diff an 800 ptec vs 800 etec

K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
Ptech,,,,, easy to mod... port job works well. Turbo, very difficult

Etech,,,,,, Difficult to mod,, Easy to turbo. Turbo is all the rage now... Big power,,,, no weight gain.. Very user friendly if done right..

S

snowyo

Dec 11, 2007
BC
Ptech,,,,, easy to mod... port job works well. Turbo, very difficult

Etech,,,,,, Difficult to mod,, Easy to turbo. Turbo is all the rage now... Big power,,,, no weight gain.. Very user friendly if done right..

Have you ever picked up a boondocker(turbo kit) there not really light,,there is a weight gain but the power far outWEIGHS it...:face-icon-small-hap

J
Feb 11, 2009
california
Etec: can run upside down, smoke less,crisper throttle response, uses less oil, and summerize itself. Ptek: carb, can not run upside down, slower throttle response, smokes alot more does not summerize itself... lol but it seems to work for me 3100 miles mountian riding.

Nov 12, 2009
Camrose, AB
Etec: can run upside down, smoke less,crisper throttle response, uses less oil, and summerize itself. Ptek: carb, can not run upside down, slower throttle response, smokes alot more does not summerize itself... lol but it seems to work for me 3100 miles mountian riding.

.... you on crack... carbs will alwasy be more responsive than fuel injection. Sled, cars, boats, etc etc...

K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
Have you ever picked up a boondocker(turbo kit) there not really light,,there is a weight gain but the power far outWEIGHS it...:face-icon-small-hap

Have you ever picked up a stock CAN???? And the air box??? They are both removed. They are very heavy. We are useing the areocharger. Maybe its lighter. OK,,, maybe a LITTLE weight agin,,,, but not much.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Carb

Carbed Turbo, no probs w/ electronic fuel adjustments, easy to get running and runs crisp? I don't know what you're talking about. And yes the Aero is super light.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
From what I have seen on Snowest the Ptek is way easier to turbo RIGHT NOW than Etec. Several guys are even building their own kits on the Ptek sleds, good luck with that on the Etec. Etec turbos are hit and miss right now.

Feb 28, 2009
From what I have seen on Snowest the Ptek is way easier to turbo RIGHT NOW than Etec. Several guys are even building their own kits on the Ptek sleds, good luck with that on the Etec. Etec turbos are hit and miss right now.
the aero kit is really pretty plug and play I have a couple buddies with them on their sled no issues and mine is going on next week. I have had some friends that did the P tec and are figuaring them out but they have worked a lot to get them there EFI makes it so much easier

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
174 are your friends getting good crisp throttle response on the Aero kits? Are they running good all the time at all elevations? I have been waiting to see on Etec turbos, there was a lot of issues last year based on what I read on SW. That is my only info source though...

Feb 28, 2009
we ride 3,000 to almost 8,000 feet when I rode one for the first time it was so smooth in comparision to the P-tec one that I rode they were both great. With any turbo there is going to be some tuning but from what I have seen it will be way less on the ETEC. first ride out with out changing their set up worked great

B
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, Colorado
.... you on crack... carbs will alwasy be more responsive than fuel injection. Sled, cars, boats, etc etc...

Get off the pot dude. Carbs fuel delivery happens AFTER a change in air flow across the venturi. Fuel injection changes fuel delivery instantly with fuel pressure being provided by a pump and electronically controlled injectors. Both systems can provide crisp throttle response but FI is quicker.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Fuel Injection

Fuel injection (Technology) is far superior... but they are still having fuel issues with them. Now that I have done a few Aero Doos (carbed), there is nothing to setting them up and they run better than stock from full off to full on! I believe the E-tech turbos are going to awesome when dailed in. There are a few guys over on the turbo forum getting them running good now. I did buy a 2011 P-tek in March 'cause this ones getting a Turbo too. I knew I could put it on and make it work. I know very little about E-tech fueling and who's components to use. Having said that, if I was buying one to ride it stock, it would be an E-tech. And besides, there is the possibility someone will have a great setup that you can buy and install without wanting to burn the machine down before you can get it dialed in! Hopefully we'll see them on the snow this season kicking a$$. Very interested in seeing the Boondocker kit on the snow, but really waiting for Turboboyz to release their E-tech kit.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
with a 1000miles boosted on the etec, and being one of the first guys to get their kit, it has taken a few rides to get it where i have it now, but with less than 500 miles boosted most issues are behind me

if i did a pro/con list for the aero kit it would be

con

when i started with their kit, it felt like i was the only one trying to make them run, others doing the same where only dealers not wanting to disclose

the right reeds should of been part of the kit..

intercooler should of been the second choice rather than first choice

wire connections should of been sodered rather than what was supplied in the kit

better instructions on the fuel controller understanding

etec motor has many sensors, and some needed some tqueaking to find happy spot

need some mechanical albilty for trouble shooting

as for the pros

fuel econmy is better than a 800r, over 60miles boosted 0n 34liters

power is real smooth and quick to spool, pulls stronger at 7lbs than the 880 did on nitrous

fuel controller is fairly easy to understand once you spent some seat time with it

easy to set to low elevation riding compared to high elevation(press of a button)

now what i see is still needed to finish project off, is fine tuning of what reeds are the best and what life span they will have, as well as what the life of the pistons, rods and crank will be

also soon want to have air to water installed to drop charge temps down over 100f, for longer reed life as well better power

i rode my buddys 800r turbo last yeat and thought the 880 would of been right with it, and spool up seamed slow, but the etec with stock compression ratio feels very similar:canada:

Premium Features