• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weight loss questions

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
Bad advice. If you're not already in shape, Insanity will ****ing kill you. It will de-motivate you, and day 1 will make you wish you'd never started it.

Insanity is great for people who already have some semblance of cardio stamina. I haven't lost a pound doing it, but that's cause I don't have weight to lose. It's more of an advanced fitness top-off then a "lose weight quick" regimen. I sure don't look forward to it every day, that's for damn sure. I promise you, people who need to drop 30-40 lbs don't need to be starting with Insanity.

Your other advice about calories in-calories out is spot on.

P.S. Watch The Biggest Loser. Those are the types of exercises you need to be doing to drop fat quickly and safely. Pumping iron doing 3 sets of 10 won't do it. Doing 10 sets of 50 on the other hand...at max interval...that'll do it.

either way, if you push hard, you will be happy with the results. i think the video even says its about pushing you hard, as much as you can do. whether its 5 reps or 50 reps. thats how you blast the calories and the fat fast. pj wanted it fast. well that, with the right nutrition and eating schedule, you would drop ridiculous weight compared to if you did the mediocre routine.

or you could take advantage of this crazy winter we're about to have, and ride. ride hard. and if u aint gettin stuck, you arent ridin hard enough. so make sure you get stuck all the friggin time.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
DAMN! I had spaghetti for lunch.

Started today. No soda, no candy, no pastries at work. Drank water (yuck) and had one serving at dinner.

Weighed in at 215.6

Hopefully I can do this. Eating lower calorie foods and stuff is nasty.

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
You can still eat all the meals you enjoy, just be extra cautious of portion size and such. I lost 123 pounds last year. It was a ton of hard work, changing basically everything about your daily life but the results are worth it. Diet and exercise. I like the eliptical because its easy on the knees, but you gotta switch it up, you can't do the same thing everyday.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002

Started today. No soda, no candy, no pastries at work. Drank water (yuck) and had one serving at dinner.

Weighed in at 215.6

You want to compete? Maybe a fun type competition? I am at 215 as well, looking to get down below 200. Just got a treadmill yesterday, worked good this morning. Got another set of weights as well.

Should be fun!!

M

MPS

Weighed in at 215.6

You can still eat all the meals you enjoy, just be extra cautious of portion size and such. I lost 123 pounds last year. It was a ton of hard work, changing basically everything about your daily life but the results are worth it. Diet and exercise. I like the eliptical because its easy on the knees, but you gotta switch it up, you can't do the same thing everyday.

Just avoid the white starchy carbs...buy whole grain spaghetti. Fast 68 is right to a point, portion size and caloric intake matters... but does it make sense that you can eat 5 candy bars a day because you are taking in less calories than normal? Ya you will lose weight, but are you going to be healthy?

If you want to gain muscle and lose weight....cut out the white chit like I suggested...sugars and starches (potatoes, donuts, white starchy spaghetti, white bread, etc.). Your body converts that white starchy crap into sugar very quickly. It doesn't do that with whole grains. The most fit people eat whole grains, meat, and vegetables.

When I want to lose weight....I cut out the white crap mentioned and it drops off.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Bad advice. If you're not already in shape, Insanity will ****ing kill you. It will de-motivate you, and day 1 will make you wish you'd never started it.

Insanity is great for people who already have some semblance of cardio stamina. I haven't lost a pound doing it, but that's cause I don't have weight to lose. It's more of an advanced fitness top-off then a "lose weight quick" regimen. I sure don't look forward to it every day, that's for damn sure. I promise you, people who need to drop 30-40 lbs don't need to be starting with Insanity.

Your other advice about calories in-calories out is spot on.

P.S. Watch The Biggest Loser. Those are the types of exercises you need to be doing to drop fat quickly and safely. Pumping iron doing 3 sets of 10 won't do it. Doing 10 sets of 50 on the other hand...at max interval...that'll do it.

What he said. Are you interested in any type of workout program? I was almost 240lbs when I started p90x, and barfed the first few weeks after my workouts. I stuck with it though and got down to 185 and about ten percent body fat. Actually got a little too skinny for me. Since you aren't interested in p90, I would find a regimented, consistent, exercise program that has a lot of variety. Start out slow and try to eat as clean and realistic as possible. Your diet should be something that is sustainable for the long term. Anyone can go on a fad diet and lose weight, but you will gain it back. I won't sugar coat it, losing weight and getting in shape is HARD. It isn't something you just half assed do. You have to really want to do it. If you have a treadmill, bike, and heavy bag, try a 30 minute circuit workout incorporating all 3. Do pushups, body weight squats, and lunges. Set goals. Hold yourself accountable. If at any point you think things are easy, change it up. You will achieve zero results if you are in your comfort zone all the time. One nice thing about any of the Beachbody programs is they do all the up front work for you. Caloric Intake and exercises are all designed to not only help you lose weight, but get functionally fit. I think hiking is great exercise, especially if there is elevation gain. Try hiking a local trail or hill hard uphill and easy downhill. Time yourself and try to beat it. Like I said, it is a hard thing to do, but the overall benefits you can't beat. You will not believe how much better you feel. Good Luck!

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
You want to compete? Maybe a fun type competition? I am at 215 as well, looking to get down below 200. Just got a treadmill yesterday, worked good this morning. Got another set of weights as well.

Should be fun!!

Sure!

Just avoid the white starchy carbs...buy whole grain spaghetti. Fast 68 is right to a point, portion size and caloric intake matters... but does it make sense that you can eat 5 candy bars a day because you are taking in less calories than normal? Ya you will lose weight, but are you going to be healthy?

If you want to gain muscle and lose weight....cut out the white chit like I suggested...sugars and starches (potatoes, donuts, white starchy spaghetti, white bread, etc.). Your body converts that white starchy crap into sugar very quickly. It doesn't do that with whole grains. The most fit people eat whole grains, meat, and vegetables.

When I want to lose weight....I cut out the white crap mentioned and it drops off.

I will be replacing white bread with brown bread. Even my wife is brown, not Obama brown though. ;) But I don't eat that. :0

Glad I can eat meat, I'd shoot myself if I had to stop. What about eggs? I like salads but hate veggies, especially when they are cooked. Like broccoli though.

What about cheese. Most of the meat I have in my house is elk, so not alot of fat in it.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
And no outside working out now. it's freakin cold out.

Been climbing hills on the treadmill for 30, I tried punching while running and HOLY CRAP!! That works ya. Trying to keep my HR at 150-160

Then jump over to the weight machine and do reps of 30 each with light weights (100 pounds). Don't wanna build muscle, I have it already, just wanna make it so that muscle can work longer and harder.

Just wish the wife would join or help. She comes home and scarfs chocolate cake and cocoa puffs. And then doesn't eat dinner! No damn wonder she can't wear my sweat shorts.

M

MPS

Sure!

I will be replacing white bread with brown bread. Even my wife is brown, not Obama brown though. ;) But I don't eat that. :0

Glad I can eat meat, I'd shoot myself if I had to stop. What about eggs? I like salads but hate veggies, especially when they are cooked. Like broccoli though.

What about cheese. Most of the meat I have in my house is elk, so not alot of fat in it.

bwhahaha about your brown wife!

Yes you can eat all the stuff mentioned. As Ryanlilly states go easy on the cheese...but yes you can eat it and eggs are great. Elk is perfect. Starchy carbs are actually worse than fats...there are good fats...HDL fats are good...LDL is bad.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/hdl-cholesterol-the-good-cholesterol

Eggs are good, the most usable protein for the body.

Id limit the cheese as much as possible.

Eggs are one of the best proteins, but not the most usable. The best proteins are fish....tuna has the most essential amino acids. The best natural protein is fish for building muscle.

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
My take on the food is to focus on making small changes initially. For steaks, take the time to cut out the fat parts or buy better pieces of meat. Try replacing ground beef with ground chicken or turkey. I have found that chicken sausages and burgers are 1000% better then turkey burgers for taste, and I think have less than 50% of the fat of beef burgers.

Replacing white breads with wheat breads is another great and someone small change you can make.

Cutting out crappy foods that are high in fat will help the most, frozen pizzas (I love them), fast food, cookies(love them too), donuts, and the like will go a long ways in helping you meet your goals.

The above doesn't require a drastic change in your diet, or severely limit your options. Also, eating 6 meals a day is supposed to keep your metabolism up and keep your body burning fat.

Also take a look at using real foods instead of fake stuff. Real butter, not margarine. Real whole milk instead of fat free skim. From the stuff I have seen, your body can handle the real food much better then the mass processed food. Though do your own research and make up your own mind.

I did the body for life thing with my wife a while ago. You do 30 min or running every other day, with alternating days of weight lifting upper body and lower body during the non-running days. Every week you get a free day that allows you to not workout and also to eat whatever you want (WHITE CHOCOLATE MACADAMIA NUT COOKIES FTW!!! lol). While it is always better not to binge on crappy food during the off day, the purpose is to allow some leeway to get your temptations out of your system and is also to show your body that it has excess energy and should be burning it instead of storing it. That is what I was told anyways...

Dang, long post...

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
you want some good friggen bread??

Daves Killer Bread. hes got 3 different kinds i believe.

thats the gold right there....

i could eat a whole loaf just by itself.

100% organic. but its good trust me. google it.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Don't eat anything that comes out of a box or package.

IE no processed foods!

You will lose weight and be healthier

go vegan (yeah yeah I know).....never seen a fat vegetarian

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
bwhahaha about your brown wife!

Yes you can eat all the stuff mentioned. As Ryanlilly states go easy on the cheese...but yes you can eat it and eggs are great. Elk is perfect. Starchy carbs are actually worse than fats...there are good fats...HDL fats are good...LDL is bad.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/hdl-cholesterol-the-good-cholesterol

Eggs are one of the best proteins, but not the most usable. The best proteins are fish....tuna has the most essential amino acids. The best natural protein is fish for building muscle.

Sorry, you are wrong.
http://build-muscle-gain-weight.com/bioavailability-of-protein-in-relation-to-building-muscle.html

M

MPS

Don't eat anything that comes out of a box or package.

IE no processed foods!

You will lose weight and be healthier

go vegan (yeah yeah I know).....never seen a fat vegetarian

...seen a bunch of fat ones....they can pork out on bad carbs. Plus most of them have no muscle and have fawked up health because they lack good protein.

Sorry don't agree, and that article makes you wrong as well. It says whey protein is the best. It says eggs are BV 100 and meats, dairy, poultry and fish are BV 70-100 and I guarantee the fish is a 100. So maybe eggs and fish are pretty equal.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Easy....low/no carbs. Eat meat. As much as you want...beef, chicken, as much saled and vegetables as you want. You will lose about 1lb a day and it will be fat you are losing. After a couple days you will be in "ketosis" and every movement, heartbeat etc...will be running off of your fat reserves....the more you work out the quicker you will lose fat.
I've done it a few times over the years. You will feel VERY energetic when your body adjusts....hardest part is getting past the bread cravings.
If you do this and are going to do something more than a normal gym workout you would want to eat some good carbs about 1 hr previous to help your stamina.
Some will say it's not healthy....I've done blood work on both a so-called "healthy" diet and again on the low-carb/high fat and cholesterol diet (for 4 months) and the results were the opposite of what people would think....blood work on low carb was MUCH better!!...lower bad cholesterol higher good cholesterol.

Premium Features