• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finally the K mod 5.5 skinny installed

J
Sep 1, 2011
S/E MN
I finally got the 5.5 K mod skinny 5.5 installed. I am not going to say it went without some head scratching but Kevin's customer service is top notch. Kevin answered all of my calls even after hours and on Thanksgiving day. After he explained to me what I needed to do then it made sense and since I am a man I don't read or understand instructions well. LOL The quality and thought that was put into this skid is very impressive. I feel I could do it again in less than 5 hours now that I understand the instructions and know exactly what tools I need along with what I need to set my press at to get drivers right. The sled on the shop floor tips side to side much easier that the factory polaris skid. I weighed Both skids before I installed the kit. Both skids weighed 43 lbs. Polaris track weighed 48 lbs and 300 Lx track weighed 55.6 lbs New boost 165 with stock bumper, Large Burandt bag, spare belt, spare quick drive belt, spare plugs full of oil and fuel weighed 544 Lbs. After kit was installed with added polaris bumper with front plate, RPM titanium can, RPM silicone boots, and the same above items the sled now weighs 548 lbs Most of the extra weight came from the HD drop brackets needed for the kit and the 300 LX track. If your on the fence about it just pull the trigger especially if your coming off a cat. I will reply below with pictures because my phone wont allow me to post words and I don't know how to post pictures from my computer.

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
I’ve been looking at this skid. My concern though, what are you doing for cooling? Are there ice scratchers available to install?

J
Sep 1, 2011
S/E MN
It comes with ski scratchers that cool better and lube whole skid instead of just back half. I have been looking for other scratchers as well on the skid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Going to warn you ahead of time with ski scratchers in the mountains. They sound great until the bracket, that holds the tip when stowed, catches unforeseen objects. I’ve had to replace both skis because the bracket caught objects and rips the saddle plastic right off the bolt. Carry extra skis in the trailer!

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Also, is this your first KMod suspension? If so, you might notice way more ski pressure than stock skids. I know you can change your coupling. Even set on 1 (playful), it might not be playful like a stock skid. You may need to drill out the bottom hole on your tunnel (front arm) to lower the front of the skid.

Please let me know your experience you have with the skid. Kevin may have changed the geometry.

J
Sep 1, 2011
S/E MN
Yes first k mod skid. The way it was explained to me was that was in between the khoas and rmk so we will see. I am coming off an alpha so not sure if I have a comparison that would be real world. I have coupler set at 1 now and in top hole in front.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Going to warn you ahead of time with ski scratchers in the mountains. They sound great until the bracket, that holds the tip when stowed, catches unforeseen objects. I’ve had to replace both skis because the bracket caught objects and rips the saddle plastic right off the bolt. Carry extra skis in the trailer!

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I have a 5.5 KMOD in my 22 850. I was fortunate to live close enough to just drop the sled off with Kevin and let him do it. Great to work with, and I am EXCITED to ride it.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Kmod, inventor of the 5.5 skinny. Great thinking!

F

Frankunnu

Sep 14, 2020
I finally got the 5.5 K mod skinny 5.5 installed. I am not going to say it went without some head scratching but Kevin's customer service is top notch. Kevin answered all of my calls even after hours and on Thanksgiving day. After he explained to me what I needed to do then it made sense and since I am a man I don't read or understand instructions well. LOL The quality and thought that was put into this skid is very impressive. I feel I could do it again in less than 5 hours now that I understand the instructions and know exactly what tools I need along with what I need to set my press at to get drivers right. The sled on the shop floor tips side to side much easier that the factory polaris skid. I weighed Both skids before I installed the kit. Both skids weighed 43 lbs. Polaris track weighed 48 lbs and 300 Lx track weighed 55.6 lbs New boost 165 with stock bumper, Large Burandt bag, spare belt, spare quick drive belt, spare plugs full of oil and fuel weighed 544 Lbs. After kit was installed with added polaris bumper with front plate, RPM titanium can, RPM silicone boots, and the same above items the sled now weighs 548 lbs Most of the extra weight came from the HD drop brackets needed for the kit and the 300 LX track. If your on the fence about it just pull the trigger especially if your coming off a cat. I will reply below with pictures because my phone wont allow me to post words and I don't know how to post pictures from my computer.

Are you a pro or something? Seems like a lot of work when these things already get on edge by just looking left or right. Just curious. Thanks!

J
Sep 1, 2011
S/E MN
Are you a pro or something? Seems like a lot of work when these things already get on edge by just looking left or right. Just curious. Thanks!

Not a pro, but coming off of an alpha , I broke my back hill x racing and I can’t twist or yank the sled as well as I used to. I had a Polaris axys 155 before and I struggled to get the sled to do what I wanted. Not hat the sled wasn’t capable. I wasn’t. I was ready to just hang up snowmobiling and the 19 alpha came out. I was able to easily manipulate the sled to do what I wanted not much input needed. But all my buddies went to Polaris not necessarily because they liked the Polaris better but more because there is a dealer every 100’ that has parts. Arctic cat dealers are hours apart and not many in the snowy area where we mostly ride. Last year most of my group went to boosts. I had to work twice as hard to get where they were. So this year I got a boost but was afraid that I couldn’t manipulate the sled as before as it was a struggle still when riding my buddies sleds. Kevin at K mod came up with this set up as I was going to go with the skinny skinny alpha kit on it and he talked me out of it. Said the 5.5 is very predictable with playfulness being in between the kahos and rmk. So as of now I haven’t rode it yet. So hopefully it’s what I hoped it would be

F

Frankunnu

Sep 14, 2020
Not a pro, but coming off of an alpha , I broke my back hill x racing and I can’t twist or yank the sled as well as I used to. I had a Polaris axys 155 before and I struggled to get the sled to do what I wanted. Not hat the sled wasn’t capable. I wasn’t. I was ready to just hang up snowmobiling and the 19 alpha came out. I was able to easily manipulate the sled to do what I wanted not much input needed. But all my buddies went to Polaris not necessarily because they liked the Polaris better but more because there is a dealer every 100’ that has parts. Arctic cat dealers are hours apart and not many in the snowy area where we mostly ride. Last year most of my group went to boosts. I had to work twice as hard to get where they were. So this year I got a boost but was afraid that I couldn’t manipulate the sled as before as it was a struggle still when riding my buddies sleds. Kevin at K mod came up with this set up as I was going to go with the skinny skinny alpha kit on it and he talked me out of it. Said the 5.5 is very predictable with playfulness being in between the kahos and rmk. So as of now I haven’t rode it yet. So hopefully it’s what I hoped it would be

Awesome! I did a little research and that skid looks freaking amazing. Congrats on the install. I'm excited to hear your results once you go out and slay some pow. Also it makes a ton of sense coming over from an alpha. It will be right up your alley. Now we just pray for snow...

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'm curious to see how you like it compared to the Alpha. Or, for that matter, how it compares to a Catalyst. Surely the monorail will get better with a chassis designed around it, but maybe even then, the "in between" solution will win out? I'd have to guess it'd work better in the Matryx (or other Polaris chassis) than the full skinny. Either way, I'm sure you could find places you'd prefer a full twin-rail, or the Alpha, but if you're looking for some "Alphaness," but not too much... Lastly, any possibility of a 155? I could see this being part of my dream build; great piece of work.

Premium Features