• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weight loss questions

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
OK, So I need to drop 20-30 pounds and I need to do it fast. Doing it for health reasons and I need to find a way.

My weight sits right at my belt line, nowhere else. So what is the best way to lose core weight? Not interested in P90x, I don't cram massive amounts of junk in my mouth. Not going for a rippling set of abs either. Just wanna drop the weight to save my back.

Any tips? I have a treadmill, weights and a stationary bike, even though it's uncomfortable for me to use.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Everett, Wa.
Pretend your a caveman quick bursts of workout 2 min, 3 min, 1.5 min and don't get in a rut, change daily and do 6 to 8 sets. Make sure each set gets you breathing hard and rest between each set till your heart rate goes back to normal before starting the next set, about the same time as the excersise set. Resistance sets are great, weights, as well as stationary bike even running. OH and cut down on the beer. Swampy

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
60 minutes of cardio per day. 2000 calories per day. Check your weight in 90 days. Get a heart rate monitor.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
No beer in my intake habits. I don't drink.

So as long as I do something to get my heart rate up and getting winded, I should be good to go? I do have a monitor. So at 6'1" and being 38, what is a good target rate to hit?

And 60 minutes everyday, all 7 days a week?

I also have a heavy bag. Beating the hell outta something is fun, and a workout too. Just gotta find some gloves, after about 5 minutes bare hands start to bleed, then I can't punch again till the scabs heal.

R

rmkMatt

Sep 14, 2010
Wyoming
Write down everything you eat for a few days and you will see what you can cut out of your diet. Pop is an easy one if you currently drink one or more a day.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
No fast food or greasy food.
No Pop, soda or whatever the hell you want to call it.
No gatoraid or poweraid. (pure salt) Not good for you in any way.
Limit sugar and salt intake. Salt is the biggest one...
Look at the packages of some of the stuff you eat. Things with under 150 MG per serving are good. Try to stay under 2000/2500 MG in a day.
Switch to whole grain breads.
Eat lots of fruit and salads
Make sure you get 25 grams of fiber a day MINIMUM.
Switch from eating 3 large meals a day to 5-6 smaller ones.
Drink lots of water. A gallon plus a day.

Best thing for this is a calorie counter something that you input everything you eat in a day in and it tells you how much of each item you have on percentage of daily value basis. What you want to make sure is that your burning more calories than what your taking in. IE... You have to have a calorie deficit otherwise weight loss is nearly impossible.

By making these simple changes I've lost 20 lbs since the middle of September.

Last edited:

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
rule of thumb is max heart rate is 220 - your age. So, for instance, I am a dinosaur at 50. My ball park max heart rate is 220 - 50 is 170. There is all kinds of stuff out there that says you have be at some percentage of your max for some minimum period of time to burn fat. For me, I have found that i have to be at 160 (about 94% of my max) for 45 minutes 5 days a week to burn fat. The reason you need to do 60 minutes of cardio is that it will take you 10 to 15 minutes for your heart rate to get there so the first 15 minutes doesnt count.

Also, you need to understand first and foremost that 80% of the weight loss thing is diet. If you cant control your calorie intake you are wasting your time if loosing wieght is your objective. The only way your are going to loose wieght to have a calorie deficit. Sorry, no other way.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada

So as long as I do something to get my heart rate up and getting winded, I should be good to go? I do have a monitor. So at 6'1" and being 38, what is a good target rate to hit?

I also have a heavy bag. Beating the hell outta something is fun, and a workout too. Just gotta find some gloves, after about 5 minutes bare hands start to bleed, then I can't punch again till the scabs heal.

If you can run do it. A 30 minute run 3 times a week and watch the diet and you will be amazed by the results!

I definitely gets harder for many of us to keep the weight off as we get older. We just had a baby back in July and it has cut into my gym time a lot, so I had to improvise a bit..... I had a hard time getting back into running and I wasn't exactly in terrible shape, but I'm glad I stuck with it! Gonna be riding any day now and every pound counts!! Go for it PJ and keep us posted!

sledboy82

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2008
Fargo, ND
I dropped 45lbs for this yrs riding season. I cut out beer and pop and candy snacks. I eat 5-6 times a day. Cardio 60 mins with 30mins of weights 5 days a week. Its hard work but you can do it.

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
start out ur day with 20-40 pushups and a quarter mile jog if even if thats all u have time for. that kicks ur body into gear and helps ur metabolism kick in throughout the day.

drink plenty of water, at least 64 ounces a day. that helps grab the fat cells and do away with them.

instead of cutting back on food, and starving yourself, snack. eat more often. smaller portions, more often. that keeps ur metabolism up throughout the day. grapes, oranges and apples are a good fruit to help burn the fat throughout the day.

start out with that, and then try out Insanity.

its similar to p90x, but more for building a little bit of muscle, and loosing fat. fast. ive always been in pretty good shape, but i do have a few friends who have all used it, and got in good healthy shape fast.

the greatest achievements come from hard work.

if you dont have the money to pay for it, im sure you can download it on a p2p file sharing program

S
Nov 26, 2007
Everett, Wa.
You certainly don't need to work out 7 days 3 or 4 will work. PM me and I will email a copy of the pace program, the military has signed on to the program. Get winded but be sure and let your heart rate return before starting the next set. The human body wasn't designed to run down the road for an hour and you will note most all long distance runners die at a young age. I used to run long distances alot when I was younger and all I got was bad knees feet and hip and it was to grueling so I quit excercising until I found the pace method, it doesn't take that long per session and you don't get bored or completely drained. I knopw I feel a whole lot better when I am doing the program, now if I dropped the sixpack a day I might really lose some weight. Swampy

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I can do running on the treadmill but road running, no. My knees would kill me and so would my back.

I'll start tomorrow after work and see how it goes. Sitting at 218 right now so by no means a fatty but I'd love to back around 190-195

Last edited:
S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
refer to post #10.

and think of this.. calories in, calories out.

as long as u burn more calories than you take in you will burn fat. carbs aren't necessarily a bad thing, as carbs give you energy. if you don't use up the carbs, they will turn to sugar which turns to fat.

the stair stepper is where its at. its easy on the knees, but it will definitely burn calories. if it gets tough, let it. keep going without giving urself a heart attack .

and do what you can to work out your back. a lot of back pain goes away with the conditioning of your back muscles, as the back muscles help support your spine.

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
put_the_fork_down_and_back_away_from_the_buffet_tshirt-p235600030714702526zv7s8_210.jpg

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
I have been hitting the gym 5 days a week and cut back to 1200 to 1500 cals a day...do cardio for 20 min.. 40 min of 3 set reps for core and have dropped 22 lbs.. still going and looking to drop at least 20 more.
good luck PJ i know if i can do it at 38 u can too.

R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001
start out with that, and then try out Insanity.

Bad advice. If you're not already in shape, Insanity will ****ing kill you. It will de-motivate you, and day 1 will make you wish you'd never started it.

Insanity is great for people who already have some semblance of cardio stamina. I haven't lost a pound doing it, but that's cause I don't have weight to lose. It's more of an advanced fitness top-off then a "lose weight quick" regimen. I sure don't look forward to it every day, that's for damn sure. I promise you, people who need to drop 30-40 lbs don't need to be starting with Insanity.

Your other advice about calories in-calories out is spot on.

P.S. Watch The Biggest Loser. Those are the types of exercises you need to be doing to drop fat quickly and safely. Pumping iron doing 3 sets of 10 won't do it. Doing 10 sets of 50 on the other hand...at max interval...that'll do it.

A

ASRVM

Nov 27, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Eat "real food". Nothing canned, packaged, or processed. Lean meat, vegetables, a little fruit, and lots of water. If you are really out of shape, start walking and walking until you can run. Google Crossfit and do it. You will see dramatic results. To lose 20lbs and keep it off, requires a change of lifestyle. You will feel better, look better, and most of all, ride better.
Good Luck.

Premium Features