• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Voltage Regulator fails

T

THA_Natty

Jan 5, 2009
Great Falls, Montana
Has NE1 ever had any problems with their voltage regulator? I have an 09 800 with 70 miles on it, and on day two of the ride my instrument panel went out then the lights would dim just before it would die. is this a common problem with polaris? Any help would be great. thanks

M

MajorDirty

Dec 5, 2007
Kelso, WA
I lost my VR last thursday. 08 D8 with 1300 miles. The sled just died and would not start again. It also fried the ECU. Luckily I was in a place where I could tow it out. Does not give you a good feeling about riding in the backcountry, wondering if your going to get out.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I lost my vr and ecu friday, mine is a 09 d8 with about 650 miles. not fun getting it out, nine guys, a creek crossing, lots of logs and about 16 miles to the truck. The first guy towing me snapped his rear bumber in two (03 edge). We were tied bumper to bumper trying to get it out. This is a common problem, I just hope polaris will step up and warranty it as my sled is about five weeks out of warranty.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I guess they could hand us all a spare one. :( But, you are completely correct. There are some definite safety concerns about being stranded in the back country or having it fail during a climb. As well, it can be difficult to really enjoy your ride when you are constantly worrying about your sled failing.
I personally feel that Polaris isn't really doing all they should at this point. If the CEO and President of Polaris both made over $1,500,000 last year. I think they can afford to fix our sleds and make them reliable. They really need to step up and make these right. When a $150 voltage regulator is causing $600+ in damage and endangering lives. Something needs to be done.

T

THA_Natty

Jan 5, 2009
Great Falls, Montana
well that is fricken great. Im glad people are working to better their product. I have two days on my RMK, and i read in another thread that the VR is on indefinite back order. has anyone else heard this rumor?

M

MajorDirty

Dec 5, 2007
Kelso, WA
My dealer said the VR and the ECU would be just a few days away. He also got Polaris to warranty the parts and labor.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Does anyone know how to test the regulator? I think there was a thread on how to test it at one time. I don't know if it shows signs of weakness (continuity issue) or something else that would be a sign of getting it replaced. I did notice today that my instrument pod was blinking (almost like a TPS issue), but the sled ran good all day.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I was told by a trusted source that when the reg takes out the ECU, you should replace the capacitor too. I was having the same issues, the digital wrench threw historical codes of low voltage and grounding issues, but no specifically the reg. I replaced all 3 (Reg, ECU, Capacitor) just to get back on the hill quick. i plan to put the old ECU and Capacitor back in next week to see if thet were indeed bad.

This is a problem for sure. Oh ya, one of many problems. I still wish Polaris could have afforded to put a couple bogeys on my 163" sled for $10,000. Wishing for acknowledgement and support for this and the burn down issues might be being a little shovey on my part. Dont want to be a disrespectful annual purchaser of several machines.

Are you picking up the sarcasm Corporate Poo Dudes???????? Your Pal. EW

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I never thought of carrying a spare one..... is anyone else doing this??

I think that the damage to the ECU is already done once the V.R. fails.

I have had 2 V.R. failures, one last year and another at the beginning of Dec.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
I was told by a trusted source that when the reg takes out the ECU, you should replace the capacitor too. I was having the same issues, the digital wrench threw historical codes of low voltage and grounding issues, but no specifically the reg. I replaced all 3 (Reg, ECU, Capacitor) just to get back on the hill quick. i plan to put the old ECU and Capacitor back in next week to see if thet were indeed bad.

This is a problem for sure. Oh ya, one of many problems. I still wish Polaris could have afforded to put a couple bogeys on my 163" sled for $10,000. Wishing for acknowledgement and support for this and the burn down issues might be being a little shovey on my part. Dont want to be a disrespectful annual purchaser of several machines.

Are you picking up the sarcasm Corporate Poo Dudes???????? Your Pal. EW

Glad to see that it all worked out.:)

mold

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2009
Lead, SD & Idaho Falls, ID
My 09 800 died on the trail today. Missed a couple of times, gauges went blank then the motor stopped. Had a real bad burt electrical smell. Seized up last year now stinky electrical problems this year. WTF?!?!?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
My 09 800 died on the trail today. Missed a couple of times, gauges went blank then the motor stopped. Had a real bad burt electrical smell. Seized up last year now stinky electrical problems this year. WTF?!?!?

voltage regulator..take it to the dealer......

Premium Features