• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Pro Rmk No Fuel

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
I was out a couple weeks ago and my 2013 Pro died and would not start; I could get it to fire if we put fuel down the cylinders but thats it. Along with a stabbed track it was a tow back to the truck..
Thinking it was the fuel pump; I bought a used one.. I installed it but no luck..
I swapped the voltage regulator from my Assault; no luck.
I swapped the capacitor from my Assault; no luck.
I finally check the 4 wire connector from the stator (it was burnt on my Assault and I replaced it) and it was melted on this sled too..
I went to the local auto parts store and picked up a 4 wire trailer plug connector and spliced it in tonight..
It fired up on the second pull.
This is the second Pro that I‘ve had and ran into this..
I tried to get the plug apart on the bench and it was so melted and burnt that I could not even pry it apart!!
So here is some knowledge sharing if anyone ever struggles on a fuel pump problem and something to check!!
Here is a picture of the plug below..

83DEC6AE-1847-4A1B-8118-DD66BFFB9D8C.jpeg

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Does anybody have any idea if the voltage regulator going bad could affect fuel pressure? I'd noticed some doggy behavior on the top end last year. Fuel pressure checked good cold, but I still had some doubts, so I mounted a gauge. It's got a new fuel filter and injectors have been cleaned. What I noticed yesterday was it started off fine - maybe even a touch over 60 - but an hour or so in, it was dropping in the low 50s, and seemed to hang in the mid-50s (normal range 58-60). Then, later on, as we headed out and it cooled down, it seemed to recover. I had a similar issue where one of the stator connectors was melting the plug, so I put new terminals on. I thought of this though, so I have to wonder about my VR. That said, the thought also occurs to me that if the fuel pump is going bad and drawing too much power, it could cause the same issue...

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Check the capacitor as well; my assault was bogging a couple years ago and was causing me to get stuck lots..
It turned out to be the capacitor!!
That being said, my voltage regulator failed also and when I would run the hand warmers, they would get so hot that I couldn’t hang onto them.. So, maybe turn your hand warmers on to see if they get super hot..

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
The hand warmers seem to work as normal - I ran them on low and high yesterday. The top end bog wasn't pronounced, I'd just hit a point somewhere after 3/4 throttle where it'd keep going, but wouldn't give me any more, and maybe sounded a little different is all. So far this year I've been running it in E10 mode for break-in of new pistons, and it's pulled hard to around 8200 as long as I've held it open, but I haven't done any sustained climbs or anything. I'll probably keep it in E10 until I can hold good fuel pressure. I'll take a look at the capacitor too. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like a problem that's easy to pinpoint - in particular if the voltage to the pump is low, it could be because the VR isn't putting out, or the pump is wearing out and drawing too much. It does seem like a component issue at least - if it were wiring, I'd think it would be more sporadic. Lastly, I see you can get aftermarket VRs - anybody try those?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Well, I gambled on the fuel pump... and lost. I rode Saturday, and the fuel pressure problem was the same or worse: it started a little low and dipped to around 50 or so after a half hour, maybe a bit below at times. Later in the afternoon, as it cooled off, it picked back up to low to mid-50s. I had it in E10 mode, it was running about 50/50 AVGAS, and it never skipped a beat, so I wasn't too worried. Obviously, something to fix though. I'll check out the capacitor, and if that seems good, I'll order a new VR.

Premium Features