• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRAILER QUESTION: Which do you prefer and WHY? Trailswest or Logan Coach???

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I’ve sold every trailer I’ve ever owned for more than I bought it.
They seem to follow production costs up in pricing.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Might have to spend a couple grand every 20 years on replacing brakes, bearings, and random things that need refinishing, but if you take care of it I would almost consider that a "lifetime" sledding purchase.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Definitely difference in life spans regionally. Have a friend in Florida that grows spuds. His equipment depreciation is insane. We have 20-30 year old ground working equip that is in better shape than his 5 yr old equip.
He farms 1/3 the acreage too.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Galvanizing is NOT corrosion proof.
Resistant, yes.
I’ve seen it eaten in high moisture situations with bad air movement in 15 yrs.
It’s got benefits, but drawbacks too.
Welded and handled it in irrigation systems since I was 14.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
as much as i want one i am not sure i want to pull a heavy trailer 1000 miles thru ice and snow everytime to ride is my #1 hesitation and then i would have to get rid of my truckboss that i find very handy

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I’ve never driven a deck, but in snow and ice I prefer having my gn hooked on, weight distribution is awesome and keeps you hooked to pavement, wind isn’t an issue like bumper pull.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Let’s face it, there’s also no such thing as a lifetime sled trailer. Needs change as family and friends come and go.
that has certainly been MY experience.
Once I NEEDED that 5 place trailer and PACKED it for most rides.
Now all I need is room for 2, and frequently only haul ONE SLED.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
That's why you keep the big tailer AND have a small one too. Then you're prepared for any occasion! I have multiple friends with decks, one has a 3 place trailer, I have a 2 place enclosed and a big gooseneck. So we are fortunate to have options. Hopefully I'll flatbed my truck by next season so it'll double as a deck too. The big goose got used a lot in the early-mid 2000s and then sat for a few years and was basically used for storage. Then in about 2014 it started getting used again. Even if it got sold in that period we definitely couldn't have replaced it again for even close to the same money. I suppose a key factor along with it being paid for was that we had space to park it out of the way. People in town with limited space I can see how that wouldn't work if you had to pay to store it somewhere every month.

Anything that is going to be $75K+ I view as a pretty serious investment so I'd be weighing the option and making sure it's something I'll be needing long term. If not, maybe look at something less expensive that will fit the bill for the time you foresee needing it. An expensive trailer like a Logan that is built well should be able to pay for itself in longevity over having to buy multiple, cheaper trailers. I know not everyone thinks the same way though and there are those that rotate through $75-90k trucks every couple years too and not think anything of it.

I work as an engineer on high voltage transmission line systems. We use a lot of galvanized poles and lattice towers. Some of them end up in pretty wet or corrosive environments. They definitely aren't perfect, but aside from using a composite or concrete a galvanized surface on a corrosion resistant steel alloy is about as good as it gets for structural steel. Can get a little better with paint or a coating over top of the galvanizing for a little extra protection until it starts to chip and come off. Aluminum is pretty corrosion resistant, but not perfect either. And you have to worry about eventual fatigue a lot more with it.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
as much as i want one i am not sure i want to pull a heavy trailer 1000 miles thru ice and snow everytime to ride is my #1 hesitation and then i would have to get rid of my truckboss that i find very handy
Recently got a logan gn and it is HEAVY for sure. Towing it with a 2022 gmc duramax 2500hd. First trip had no airbags but later added them. Improved the ride a bit. it honestly pulls like a dream from the midwest through the mountains. Its low compared to big conventional toy haulers. Also have a drop deck not deck over the tires so it sits a bit lower than most. Having fenders inside the garage isnt a huge pain but does eat up interior space for parking sleds for sure. Not sure how much the dropped deck helps and if I would go that route again.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
What trailer do you have exactly
Recently got a logan gn and it is HEAVY for sure. Towing it with a 2022 gmc duramax 2500hd. First trip had no airbags but later added them. Improved the ride a bit. it honestly pulls like a dream from the midwest through the mountains. Its low compared to big conventional toy haulers. Also have a drop deck not deck over the tires so it sits a bit lower than most. Having fenders inside the garage isnt a huge pain but does eat up interior space for parking sleds for sure. Not sure how much the dropped deck helps and if I would go that route again.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I’ve never driven a deck, but in snow and ice I prefer having my gn hooked on, weight distribution is awesome and keeps you hooked to pavement, wind isn’t an issue like bumper pull.
I spent 12 hours yesterday driving through some pretty nasty wind from Colorado to Montana, all the while wondering if a gooseneck would handle the wind better than my little bumper pull. Hard to justify a bigger trailer right now with only 2 sleds, but kid number 1 is on the way so maybe in a few years when we add a third sled, I can convince the wife we need a $50k gooseneck.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I have a three place and it will drag you around, two hands white knuckle.
My goose in a windstorm is one hand resting on wheel.
I’ve had 34’, 28, 25, 22, 18’ bumper pulls and none handle like the gooseneck. Getting the weight ahead of the rear axle so fronts are planted instead being lifted by the bumper weight stabilizes you.

Last edited:
Premium Features