• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRAILER QUESTION: Which do you prefer and WHY? Trailswest or Logan Coach???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am probably going to purchase a USED trailer for the remainder of this season, and then finally do another brand new SnoWest custom trailer.

I have narrowed this one down to either a 20ft TrailsWest or a 21ft Logan Coach.
(I only need a 2 sled trailer now)

Looking for PURELY SUBJECTIVE COMMENTS from Current/Past owners of either TrailsWest or Logan Coach as to what you LIKED and DISLIKED about the trailers.

TRAILSWEST

trails.jpg

LOGAN COACH
IMG_6428-825x483.jpg

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
2020 trails west Brandt edition 28’ bumper pull grey bought new dec 2019. My first heated trailer.

Exterior finish is fantastic wash it once a year in June and looks new besides a few scratches. The door motor went out last year but the springs are so strong it’s really no a big deal at all. All other electrical has been great, the lights really shine bright all the way around inside and out.

The inside is a different story. About half of the screws had popped and panels were hanging. Drilled out and riveted most of the holes. That all happened the first year and nothing has happened since, I think I was keeping too much moisture inside and not heating up enough to fully dry out. As long as the trailer is dried out once a week everything works well. The storage, shelves, and hooks all seem sturdy enough. Floor is great doesn’t show any wear marks yet.

The furnace works well as long as the propane is burnt out of the lines after every use. Have camped in it at 0°F stayed pretty warm with just a space heater and sleeping bag.

Great trailer overall tracks well haven’t gotten stuck with it yet behind 2500/3500 trucks. Hasn’t left the Colorado rockies and I would guess 30k miles on it.

M
Feb 22, 2009
I hate to say it those are pretty much made by the same people..... Yes they are different companies and yes Logan coach is made in Logan Ut. Whereas Trailswest is made in Preston Id.....
In reality there is only a half hour distance between those places in what is mostly a
semi rural area. So the two companies tend to "trade" employees on a regular basis. There aren't a lot of fabrication jobs per SE in the area. So the same quality, construction, and engineering tends to be prevalent in both companies....
How do I know this, I live in a po-dunk little town between Logan and Preston and know plenty of the employees that work at both places...

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
If you are only hauling 2 sleds, likely loading from the rear, the door on the Logan Coach would put you right into the ski/spindle of one sled, PITA. The door placement on the Trailswest would likely put you in the tunnel section of the sled regardless of which direction you load the sleds.
I have an 18' trailer (14+4) and usually haul 3 sleds even if one is just a spare/back up. I load from the front and it tows the same either way. By loading from the front I have more floor storage space on either side of the tunnel of the sled in the front of the trailer and the fuel door lines up with the sled tanks pretty well.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The door motor went out last year but the springs are so strong it’s really no a big deal at all.
was that not fully covered under Warranty?

The inside is a different story. About half of the screws had popped and panels were hanging.
Same question as before.
No Warranty claim in that?
Seems kinda MAJOR to me?

The furnace works well as long as the propane is burnt out of the lines after every use.
This begs the obvious question.
What happens when you LEFT PROPANE in the lines?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I hate to say it those are pretty much made by the same people..... Yes they are different companies and yes Logan coach is made in Logan Ut. Whereas Trailswest is made in Preston Id.....
In reality there is only a half hour distance between those places in what is mostly a
semi rural area. So the two companies tend to "trade" employees on a regular basis. There aren't a lot of fabrication jobs per SE in the area. So the same quality, construction, and engineering tends to be prevalent in both companies....
How do I know this, I live in a po-dunk little town between Logan and Preston and know plenty of the employees that work at both places...
On the surface, they certainly strike me as VERY different trailers.
Not to mention there is a TOTAL LACK of used Logan's for sale, while there are ALWAYS PLENTY of TrailsWest units.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If you are only hauling 2 sleds, likely loading from the rear, the door on the Logan Coach would put you right into the ski/spindle of one sled, PITA. The door placement on the Trailswest would likely put you in the tunnel section of the sled regardless of which direction you load the sleds.
Just to be sure.
You are referring to the SIDE ENTRANCE DOOR, right?

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My trailswest propane never gets turned off.
Never had a furnace issue other than negative temps with small bottles.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Correct. The ramp door doesn't really affect the day to day entrance as much.
Just wanted to be sure you weren't telling me something I didn't understand.
Ya, with the 4-5 mirage trailers in the past I often remember opening that side door to the "Wrong" part of the sled depending on how many we have crammed in and in which direction we loaded them.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
My trailswest propane never gets turned off.
Never had a furnace issue other than negative temps with small bottles.
I suggest turning off tanks when driving as much as possible. Just matter of time before you clog your regulator up. I now carry a spare regulator just for that reason.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I suggest turning off tanks when driving as much as possible. Just matter of time before you clog your regulator up. I now carry a spare regulator just for that reason.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
what contaminants are in your propage that would CLOG your regulator?

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
was that not fully covered under Warranty?

Same question as before.
No Warranty claim in that?
Seems kinda MAJOR to me?

This begs the obvious question.
What happens when you LEFT PROPANE in the lines?
Dealer (cr auto in Utah) didn’t warranty anything and very unhelpful for finding parts. The propane lines freeze when the propane is left on because the temps regularly get below 0 in my area.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I have the 30 lb bottles for short runs, but I beat the cold temps with a 24”x48” tank I keep in the truck bed. Have valved quick coupler on regulator, throw hose in truck bed when I unhook. More surface volume keeps the propane moving.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Big tank with 20’ hose and same regulator as it came with kept trailer at 50 through this Christmas cold spell with -30ish temps.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I like the low deck better personally, but it'd come down to what the better deal is if I were buying one.
I don't know if you already found a couple options, but here's another one, in Bozeman :

Premium Features