• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MotoTrax Questions and Concerns

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
BENT?

Im a pretty mellow rider, ski hardly leaves the ground and this is what I've found. My aluminum rear slider bushing is egged out and now it's beating the **** out of the lower mount. We'll see how the warranty claim works out...

In the right pic, it looks like the bolt is bending in the cross shaft. Looks like that system would work better with the socket mounted on the top of the cross shaft, and for sure that bolt at that size should be a grade 8. I hope they're fine thread. There is a lot of negative force on that shaft. I get the design but something isn't functioning right...

Last edited:
K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
They overnight-ed bulkhead #3 I got it today, looks like this one works. Will mount on bike tonight. Hopefully when they get my others ones back they can get to the bottom of what happend on them.

Threw in a spring for my weight and a tshirt.

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
In the right pic, it looks like the bolt is bending in the cross shaft. Looks like that system would work better with the socket mounted on the top of the cross shaft, and for sure that bolt at that size should be a grade 8. I hope they're fine thread. There is a lot of negative force on that shaft. I get the design but something isn't functioning right...

I think that's just the angle I took the photo at. I was trying to show the egged out bushing. And I realize I should have added a grease fitting, although that wouldn't totally fix the situation, and definitely wouldn't prevent the rest of the damage from occurring. Still waiting on my help desk ticket.

S
Mar 8, 2008
Actually, i believe your aluminum bushing is in backwards. The flange should be at the bottom.

Still, this is very poor design, The part thats warn off from going inside is obviously its able to go INSIDE and its not a flat flange to flange contact. Its going to hit the flange on the bushing and eventually punch thru as it tries to go inside like it is now.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Actually, i believe your aluminum bushing is in backwards. The flange should be at the bottom.

Still, this is very poor design, The part thats warn off from going inside is obviously its able to go INSIDE and its not a flat flange to flange contact. Its going to hit the flange on the bushing and eventually punch thru as it tries to go inside like it is now.

Beat me to it. Yes your bushing is in the wrong way. The shoulder should be down. Still poor design. Needs bumpers on both ends.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
To me there is no way to put the bushing in right. It's not the right design, so therefore there isn't a right way or wrong way to do it. It will eat itself in equal time either way.

Agreed. But, it will last longer with the shoulder down. And bumpers on both sides will help lots.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I think that's just the angle I took the photo at. I was trying to show the egged out bushing. And I realize I should have added a grease fitting, although that wouldn't totally fix the situation, and definitely wouldn't prevent the rest of the damage from occurring. Still waiting on my help desk ticket.

Just call and ask for Danny.

I'm probably making more work for him by saying that but, with all the screw ups on mine hes been really helpful.

At least they handle mishaps well..(if you talk to them and not the email waiting ticket thing )

My kit is on now chain and all adjusted, torqued down..etc. Need to finish the brake, adjust track tension..etc, and put my accessories.. on and i'll be riding this thing this weekend finnaly!

Last edited:
K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I'm trying to change my rear shock spring out to the heavier one mototrax sent for my weight the 375 instead of 350.

Can anyone tell me what this is in the collet screw head? its super hard plastic of some sort like epoxy maybe. I tried to dremel it out to no avail... making it hard to get the coller loose to change my spring out.

EDIT: Drilled it out

I used the smallest drill bit I had and drilled like 3 holes in that epoxy or whatever it is in the coller clamp head and got it to come out.. got my spring changed out. I put my pre-load 1/4" about 3-4 threads I guess. in from when the coller touches spring per- danny's request.

Last edited:

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
Props to moto-trax

For all that are concerned about issues check this out. I have a 2016 kit. They sent me a new billet frame upgrade kit and adjustable strut. They also sent some warranty parts. I understand they are sending these to all owners of the XC scout. Pretty stoked with a renewed faith in MT. I'm looking forward to what the 2018 kit brings.

Attachments

• 20170302_211609.jpg
    20170302_211609.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 36
H
Jan 24, 2014
CRANBROOK B.C
For all that are concerned about issues check this out. I have a 2016 kit. They sent me a new billet frame upgrade kit and adjustable strut. They also sent some warranty parts. I understand they are sending these to all owners of the XC scout. Pretty stoked with a renewed faith in MT. I'm looking forward to what the 2018 kit brings.

I have been told they had less problems with the 2016 kits. Randy told me that the 2018 are going to be better And he said the 2019 kits are going to be awesome

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
That plastic ball looks like the ones you push into the nitrogen fill port on a monotube Fox shock to seal them off and keep contaminates out. Not sure how one got in your preload ring locking bolt. Unless Mototrax started putting them in there to make people stop increasing preload like they say not to do now. It does make it hard to change the spring though.

Premium Features