• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail tech voyager for us doo owners

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Came across this today in s trailtech forum...

Here is some info I posted a while back on my snowbike page that may be helpful. When the internal battery dies you will not maintain your settings as you have noticed. Get it fully charged and it will work much better. You will see the charging icon when it’s charging and the battery meter will eventually fill itself indicating a full charge. Once you disconnect charging the battery indicator will still show full but will turn red and charging icon will not show.

One thing that has not been explained clearly is that the unit does not charge when it’s off.

No matter what the charge settings are. There should be no power draw from the unit when it’s off.

In order to charge the unit, it must be on. Not sleeping either. Screen must be lit. This means if you connect to wall charger you must turn it on and then go turn off your sleep setting AND set it to charge always. (should be set already but If you have it set in charge when running it will not charge without tach wire signal)

Once it’s fully charged you can reset those two settings if you need too and put in on your bike and away you go.

As far as on the bike goes, I have found if you connect it with switched power rather than constant power my VP battery eventually dies. This is mostly because we stop often and it’s on a snowbike so it’s in the cold typically.

I recommend connecting directly to your battery (with fuse) rather then switched power, and riding with sleep settings on and charge always set.

It will not kill your bike battery even if your settings are set to charge always!

Charge always means whenever the unit is on it draws charge from the bike.

Charge when running means that it only draws charge from the bike when it’s on and the bike is running, once you shut the bike off the VP flips over to running on its internal battery.

What’s the difference you say? Well when you shut your bike off frequently and you have sleep set to one minute, each time you stop you start to deplete the internal battery for the time your VP stays on until it goes to sleep. Once it goes to sleep it stops charging. Once it wakes up it charges again. If you don’t have long run cycles between shut offs it will not fully recover. Eventually it draws the internal battery down to zero.

Keep in mind that after 10 minutes in sleep mode the VP shuts off entirely so no more draw from bike.

This protects your bike battery from getting drawn down so these setting keep your VP battery full and your bike safe. The only risk would be if you were to turn off sleep settings and leave the unit on and walk away from your bike.

Typically after sitting for a while the internal battery seems to die so I take my VP inside and connect to wall charger and fully charge the battery. It can take 6-8 hours if it’s totally dead.

Then it works great and I have no issues.

If you start your day with a less than full battery you may end up with these issues.

Aluminum dock, wired to constant power, and keep battery fully charged before your ride and they have been very reliable.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I copied Musoka and got it all mounted, still waiting on a accessory adapter plug so I can plug it into the sled.

Q: anyone else having issue with the buddy tracking? mine flakes in and out like it doesn't think the antenna is even connected ( it is ). now it wont show that I have the antenna connected at all.

1705974640944.png

1705974696829.png

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Christopher, I noticed most of that stuff.

Been charging mine at my desk with some RC batteries. It took a solid 8 hours to charge it completely off a 12V battery.

Also it does not go to sleep when its connected to power. ( aka charging ). Mine only goes to sleep if I remove my charging battery I have here on my desk wired up and its only on the internal battery.

Also to my above post about buddy tracking... lol I'm dumb i was inside and the GPS Signal keeps cutting in and out, which turns buddy tracking off.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher, I noticed most of that stuff.

Been charging mine at my desk with some RC batteries. It took a solid 8 hours to charge it completely off a 12V battery.

Also it does not go to sleep when its connected to power. ( aka charging ). Mine only goes to sleep if I remove my charging battery I have here on my desk wired up and its only on the internal battery.

Also to my above post about buddy tracking... lol I'm dumb i was inside and the GPS Signal keeps cutting in and out, which turns buddy tracking off.
in my case all of the Polaris guys I was riding with could see ME, but I wasn't able to return the favor.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
in my case all of the Polaris guys I was riding with could see ME, but I wasn't able to return the favor.
I noticed when I updated the firmware today it had a warning that it wouldn't work with people on too old of firmware.

From Trail Tech website.
"
  • Group Ride "Buddy Tracking" will not work with Previous Version of Software; all users in group must update to at least version (VH1931B)."

I actually don't know a single Polaris rider with a 7S gauge anyway ( or another trail tech owner for that matter ) So I'm not sure what use buddy tracking will be for me anyway LOL.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Did that import pretty easy?
Oh also, FYI

I was trying to import a GeoTiff, won't work even though its on their website https://www.trailtech.net/en-us/voyager-pro/custom-maps/

I called trail tech.

He told me it will read GeoPDF, MBTiles( Some old thing he said they don't really use anymore but fixed something so they would work ). and like GPX tracks. He said its a mistake that website says it will load GeoTiffs. ( I was using mapwarper.net and it exports geoTiffs, not geo pdfs )

But a GeoPDF worked super easy. put it on SD Card, imported it in the trailtech...done.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
How do you lock in your riding group for the buddy tracking?
If you were at Bachelor and rode through a group of 7S Polaris riders, would it detect them and want to add them to your map, or do you have to select and accept them to your device?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
If you were at Bachelor and rode through a group of 7S Polaris riders, would it detect them and want to add them to your map, or do you have to select and accept them to your device?
You need to create a riding group. It doesn’t just show up every device.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
You could always get the Trail Tech battery...

I have tried the Trail Tech battery in parallel and the battery is now no good. It has no voltage and will not take a charge. I'm afraid I have drained it beyond repair due to it back-feeding the sleds electrical system and /or the capacitors of the shot system. I believe the "diode" is the way to go. I am going to look at a warranty replacement of the battery or find something smaller and less expensive.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
You create a group, or search/join a group that someone else made. Can put a passcode on it too if you want.

If I rode by a bunch of 7S riders either me or them would have to go into the menu and join the group ( which you can name )

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I would say the most obnoxious thing so far with the trail tech for me is it doesn't have a UBS C port on it. So when its off the dock you can't do anything, can't charge it can't hook it to a computer etc. Even my garmin montana on my adventure bike has a usb port outside of its dock.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Sounds like the trail tech is a pain as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you want to see everyone
I have tried the Trail Tech battery in parallel and the battery is now no good. It has no voltage and will not take a charge. I'm afraid I have drained it beyond repair due to it back-feeding the sleds electrical system and /or the capacitors of the shot system. I believe the "diode" is the way to go. I am going to look at a warranty replacement of the battery or find something smaller and less expensive.
My battery has been hooked to the sled for a couple weeks now and it is still fully charged. The zener diode in the charging circuit works great. I have been running the first half of the day on the battery and then turning on the high beams and charge it the last part of the day.

Premium Features