• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

to sway or not to sway?

G
Nov 29, 2007
Logan, UT
Riding an 05 700 RMK. Still the Edge chassis. Probably only ride 20 or 30 miles of trails a year getting to the deep. What are the advantages or disadvantages to removing the sway bar?

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Try it with and without. It's fairly easy to remove. Why listen to joe smo on a issue that's totally personal preference and riding style?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Remove the sway bar on that chassis. It will side hill so much better and you won't loose much "roll" in the turns. The IQ is a different story though...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I think that the sway or no is a very personal case specific thing.

What kind of rider are you?
What shape are you in?
Do you stand up for most of the ride?
Are you a very active sledder, often jumpiing from side to side over the seat?

How much trail do you ride.

When asking for this opinion... find out what the answers are to the above questions for those giving you thier opinoin.

I agree with indeep and Bug... personal pref...

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I've taken them out of all my sleds except my dragon. for hillclimbing and side hilling it rides alot better w/o it on the edge

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
I wouldn't ride an edge with it in, but I like how it handles without it. I only know one person who has theirs in and likes it, so as said before personal preference

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Rode an '04 Escape for 2 years with it in and dealt with it. Hit something hard enough to break it off and liked it much better. Didn't even know it broke off at first but it pulled over much easier and rode better in the powder.
If you are going to take it off then don't cut it out like a fool would as you might not like it without it and want it back in. Then you'd have to go buy one.

W

Wayniac

Nov 26, 2007
sunny Seattle
I have a couple '04 700 159s and both my wife and I prefer without the bar. It tends to push in the corners on the trail but the off trail makes up for it we feel. She is half my size/weight and like I said we agree on removing the bar.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I'd say ditch it... even without it the Edge chassis handles well on the trail since it has a low center of gravity.

Premium Features