• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Over heating???

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Curious if other Catalysts are running too hot. M600 154” 3”
My sled seems to run at one bar from top of heat gauge, if not all the way hot.
Mainly on trails running to play areas, my last 2 rides there was loose snow and fresh snow on edges, but still would not cool down.

Does the catalyst give a temp warning signal or message of some sort if it’s truly getting too hot?
I have not seen any message or alarm? I don’t think the gauge gives an actual temp readout option?

Trying to decide if it’s good to go or it is having an issue that needs to be looked into further…

Also, any tips or tricks that might help it?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Short cooler and no snow flap with 3 inch lug = hot!

They should all have longer coolers and removable snow flaps.

Some Poo guys in the other group we ride with made their own removable snow flaps for their 850 Slash sleds.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My daughter's catalyst runs at 3/4 on looser snow. I think they are going to suck on icy trails. No idea how hot they are. I've had it full bars for a .inute but no light. Usually on a bar graph you are thinking middle. Don't remember where it runs in deep snow. Everyone needs to look at polaris's new scratchers. They don't need a longer cooler or removable flap with 325 track.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
They typically run high on the gauge and when it stays solid bars across the gauge long enough the gauge will start flashing HOT. It didn't pop the cap yet but I didn't push it when it notified me it's HOT.

No, it's not Hold On Tight

I pulled some antifreeze and added water wetter a bit higher then their cold mark.

D
Dec 16, 2009
Seeley Lake, Mt
My Alpha would run hot on the trails if under 20mph or even off trail. I added a set of scratchers to the ski's and that took care of the problem. They came from WPS and were around $60.00. Easy to put down or up.

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
My Alpha would run hot on the trails if under 20mph or even off trail. I added a set of scratchers to the ski's and that took care of the problem. They came from WPS and were around $60.00. Easy to put down or up.
I was considering that, glad to here it made a difference for you! Thanks

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Curious if other Catalysts are running too hot. M600 154” 3”
My sled seems to run at one bar from top of heat gauge, if not all the way hot.
Mainly on trails running to play areas, my last 2 rides there was loose snow and fresh snow on edges, but still would not cool down.

Does the catalyst give a temp warning signal or message of some sort if it’s truly getting too hot?
I have not seen any message or alarm? I don’t think the gauge gives an actual temp readout option?

Trying to decide if it’s good to go or it is having an issue that needs to be looked into further…

Also, any tips or tricks that might help it?
I recently had an opportunely to ride a 600 demo sled for a couple of days and temp gauge registered pretty much the same as what you described. Never did have a overheat warning light come on, so I'm thinking that it might be normal. I was pretty diligent about using the scratchers while on the trail, which makes a big difference on my Alpha.

Premium Features