• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tkuss's 2015 Summit T-3 Mods/Ride Log

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have ridden half my rides with the snowflap on and half with the snowflap off, in my experience the snowflap has nothing to do with icebuild up. Ice buildup has to do with how dry the snow is, and how cold it is outside. The dryer or lighter the snow and the colder the temp, the more snowbuildup.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have never had a sled that which the clutches dont get very hot to the touch after riding hard. After all, there is 100+hp going through that belt and transferring to the clutches, its gonna create lots of heat. Hot clutches are normal in my opinion.

If you go through belts every few hundred miles however, then it would be worth going through the clutches, and checking alignment, or taking it in to the dealer to see if they can find any issue...

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
December snow here in CO started out pretty slow the first 2 weeks, and I only got a short solo rode ride in. There was little snow on the ground, and the snow that was there was plaqued with a very crusty ice layer on top in most riding areas.

Finally the forecast changed and the snow started coming, and more or less it hasnt stopped snowing in the past 2 weeks.

Ive got about 4 or so riding days in on my T-3 since I last posted and I am falling in love with this sled.

Before I get to the riding, I will say I put a 2" riser on, so 3" lower than stock, and I love it. Im 6ft tall and personally feel the stock riser is to tall and puts the bars to close to your chest in technical riding situations.

This made the sled loads more comfortable for me to ride and handle.

Now to the riding...

I got out on a 3 day trip with some friends who had Summit 154's and a polaris pro. We ran into some great snow conditions.

On the last day of the trip we had deeeeep snow!

In my experience riding with the 154's 2.5" track summits. The deeper the snow gets the more advantage the T-3 has, which makes sense. We still ran into early season conditions as we were bouncing off quite a few stumps/rocks, so we really didnt get a good chance to compare sleds side by side in the climbs. But I will say I am very happy with this sled.

I did run into an issue where the throttle cable tightened up and the throttle override system kicked in, to where the sled would start and idle fine, but give it gas and it does nothing... Loosened the throttle cable up a bit and all was fine, I later tightened it up again some in the garage to make sure I was getting the throttle to open up 100%, however still made sure there was a bit of play in the throttle cable.

A few things I noticed bout the xm. Compared to my M8, foot position plays a huge role in sidehilling, or more specifically I need to get alot further forward on the XM. In a steep sidehill if my foot is not as far forward as it can be, I will not be able to exit out the sidehill and turn back down the hill. Other than that, I find the sled to handle incredibly easy in all conditions and at the end of the day I am worn out much less than my previous sleds.

No complaints about the engine other than it starts easier when its cold in the morning than when it is warmed up during the day?

Stock clutching is good. I am going to hold off on a clutch kit at this point, mostly cause I dont want to spend 450$ on clutching at the moment. I have a trip planned in march and one of the guys I ride with (yamahaboy701) has a Roosterbuilt clutch kit on his 154 summit. I want to take the time and compare his clutching to my stock clutching in all conditions. I rode with him on this past trip and got to ride his sled on the trail for a bit. For that short period nothing jumped out to me making we me want to spend the $ on a kit yet. I do realize that on the trail vs off trail is very different however.

At the end of the last day I finally got outta break in mode and noticed no difference in performance with the sled.

I also should mention in the deep snow I rode in, that I experienced not even a hiccup of the engine, so no powder bog what so ever. Whether than has anything to do with the SLP can or the exhaust deflector shield I put on, I dont know. But the sled ran top notch all day in the powder.

Couldnt be happier with the sled, hoping to get out a few times this weekend and go tear up some of the great snow we currently have.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Also should mention I got some riding in northern wisconsin in over the holidays. Quite a difference cruising lakes and skipping water vs the riding out here...

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
That was a good trip! Thanks again for showing us around NOCO.

You might have forgot to mention there was a sled above you on this climb :face-icon-small-win... but I got lucky. That T3 was impressive!

Last edited:

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
I might have missed it but what did you put on it for an exhaust deflector?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I bought the skinz exhaust deflector on amazon. Says it doesnt work on a XM or XP in the description, but it rivets right onto the skidplate very nicely.

Was out of town this past weekend, but got a couple days riding in the weekend before.

Sled is running great, I bumped up the rear torsion spring preload to 4 from 3 on each side. I like the stiffer feel better, but it did take some of the transfer outta the sled. I Played around with the preload on the front track shock, i put it on full loose to where the spring was just tight enough to not wobble around, then I went to about half stiffness, if that makes sense. I really didnt notice much of a difference. I will try full stiffness just to see what it does, but I think I will settle between 1/2 and full loose on the front track shock. Sled so far has been pull and go. Suppose I should change the chain case oil soon...

J
Aug 8, 2013
Hey man, quick question where did you find the 2'' riser at? online or dealer? lemme know because that is the only thing id like to get done on mine also being 6'' tall i think the shorter would also be better :)

S
Mar 17, 2008
great info keep it coming. did you change the limiter strap setting from stock? i found mine wanting to wheelie on climbs. And i have a shorter riser that i haven't put on yet but think its something i want to do. Take care...

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I got the riser at firstplacepart.com, but you can order that riser from many different sites.

I personally was very happy with the stock suspension settings, I did however crank the front ski shocks to full stiff pretty early, and I think everybody should do that, as I think it makes the front much more predictable.

I have not messed with the limiter strap, I personally like a bit more transfer than less transfer, makes it a more fun ride and suits my riding style better.

Ideally I like the transfer of when the rear torsion springs are on 3, but I like the stiffness of 4 better. So I will end up leaving the rear springs on 4.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Ride 16:
Well I dont know the last time the mtns in northern CO have gotten over 6" of snow in a single storm. So far this January is turning out to be very very dry, and the forecast isnt looking good at all either.

So with the snow being spring like, I didnt a little scenic touring up in summit county and rode an area I havent rode before.

Was a great day checking out the sites and enjoying the blue skies.

For those interested, I have been running this gates belt on my summit from Mile 1. http://www.amazon.com/Gates-G-Force-C12-Drive-Belt/dp/B00CFBTDLY

I got it for 85$ shipped off amazon over summer. I believe I have close to 400 miles on the sled now and the belt still looks brand new.

When I went to blow out the clutches a few rides ago for the first time, I was astounded at how little to no belt dust there was. This belt also is incredibly consistent with rpms in all conditions. I have completely stock clutching with the clickers set at 4. I pull 8000 rpm on the trail when pinned, and I pull 8000 rpm in off trail in a climb or in deep powder on flat meadows. It is amazingly consistent and I have been getting 36-42mph track speed on climbs, depending on how steep the climb is etc... I complement the skidoo engineers for nailing the stock clutching, and dont think the belt is what is causing this sled to run good. I am just pointing out, that for half the price of the doo belt I see no reason to run the doo belt over this gates belt. I know 400 miles on a belt is nothing to brag about, so I will keep an eye on the belt and update throughout the season on its condition and if/when it blows. The belt also comes with a year warranty, so when it does pull a cord, or blow I can send it in along with a 10$ check and supposedly get a new belt back, we will see....

I should mention the only reason I am running this belt over the doo belt is the price. I am one who believes that if i buy aftermarket oil, belts etc... I have the opportunity to save a couple hundred $ a season vs if I were to buy everything straight from doo. That extra couple hundred $ saved means more days on the snow for me, and more days on the snow makes it worth it.

more snow please!!!!

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
the above pics are from my cellphone, galaxy S5. I also have a 200$ point and shoot canon sx510 which I take alot more of the "action shots" with

Premium Features