• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thanks RK Tek! (re: 2008 M8 mods)

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Fist off, let me say that I do not work for RK Tek, or SLP. I bought my wife an 08 M8, and after riding it a couple times - figured it needed a little more. I put a call into Kelsey @ RK Tek and after discussing my elevation and fuel I wanted to run, he built me a head and set of domes, as well as a torsional secondary kit with a 38/34 progressive helix. Also provided me with spring recommendations as a starting point. Good turn around too - I ordered it in the silly season (November). Anyway, I installed the head first and went riding - cleaned up the mid and top end, runs cooler, better throttle response. Added the clutch kit - much better upshift and backshift, clutches are cooler (used cat gold in primary with stock weights). I decided to add an SLP single with y-pipe and can next, along with high flow intake and my own version of additional air inlets to the plenum (6 bullseyes), and a boondocker box to tune with. Also added a Koso EGT guage to keep an eye on temps. After a little tuning, all I can say is WOW! I pretty much had to add fuel across the board to keep EGT's, plug color and wash in line, but the machine pulled 600 rpm more then stock (added weight to the primary to bring down to 8100). I settled on a running rpm of 7950-8000 - this is where the sled pulls the best. Both products are very good in terms of fit and finish, and you would think they were designed to work as a package - it works that well. When it was stock, it stood no chance against my friend's 08 800XP in a 154 -(it was regeared, has some light goodies, head and can). Now the only place he can beat me is on the trail. Sorry guys - the rev suspension is wayyy better in the bumps. I've not dyno'd it - but it works better than my M1 did in stock form, and I can come close to the marks left by the M1 now (it is modded with SLP set, RKT head and clutch, 156 x 2.5", lightweight rotor, VE tunnel, etc, etc.
Oh ya - both sleds have boss seats and risers, aftermarket skis, and additional venting.
So, thanks to Kelsey and SLP! The industry needs more people like you, instead of those that claim one thing and provide another. Thanks again.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Mod your rear suspention now ( takes less than an hour). Then take most the preload of your front springs.
Now the Xp rider will need to try and keep up.

AC built one tough, good handling sled this year.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Sounds like the "wife" will appreciate all those mods. lol

You'd be surprised. My wife rides with the boys and has done so for over 12 years, there are a lot of sour faces on the men when they realize they got highmarked by a girl. Her Summit X 600 144" (Rev chassis) had most everything on it but "the juice", and by playing the weight card and some skilled riding - she beat more then a few men on 800 151" sleds that were not stock, either. If you get them interested in sledding - don't buy junk - they will just resent you for it, and they will be frustrated when the machine doesn't work as well as it should. She chose the M8 on her own accord, and she knows her sleds. Didn't want to fight the M1's weight all day I suppose. But, if I blow mine up - I may be able to sweet talk her into letting me ride it, but I doubt it. Likely leave me at home or tell me to get a rental till mine's fixed LOL.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Mine too, I love the look on guys faces when she drops a cornice that the boys won't even climb up to, or goes WAY bigger than they do off the same thing they just hit!!

luckily she's not as MUCH of a mod addict as I am, after losing 50lbs on the M1k, she's pretty happy.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
here's a few from before she started going bigger, I have a talent for never bringing a camera when she's in the mood to throw down (I guess those are the days I know we don't want to hang out & take pics all day, we want to ride!!)

from when she was on an M5 that went nowhere slowly
abbycornicedropzumaemail.jpg

It might not look all that big, but look at all the other landings, this was the 5 other guys, none of them went as big as her that day!
She got compliments on the size of her ovaries that day! (and she had only been riding 3 months!)

right after she got her M8 (My old M8 I should say!)
5.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features