• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Suspension Set Up For Hop Overs

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
I basically have a bone stock 800 163. I ride alot at 10,000 feet and alot at sea level. My question is how are guys setting their suspension up stock. I ride alot of tight trees and getting the front end up to "hop over" can be tough. At sea level I don't feel power is the issue.

Any tips to get that front end up. I have heard it has alot to do with suspension and I was hoping for some tips.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I basically have a bone stock 800 163. I ride alot at 10,000 feet and alot at sea level. My question is how are guys setting their suspension up stock. I ride alot of tight trees and getting the front end up to "hop over" can be tough. At sea level I don't feel power is the issue.

Any tips to get that front end up. I have heard it has alot to do with suspension and I was hoping for some tips.

Loosen the rear track shock. Increase pressure on the front track shock. Increase ski preload. Find something steep!~

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
It will trench a little more set up ^^^^ like that which you do not want when tree riding. I've had good luck loosening the front track spring so there just a little tension on the spring, tightening the rear track spring and loosening the front ski springs. This allows the front to collapse sum and get up on top. To stiff of a set up and you'll be trenchen all day.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
It will trench a little more set up ^^^^ like that which you do not want when tree riding. I've had good luck loosening the front track spring so there just a little tension on the spring, tightening the rear track spring and loosening the front ski springs. This allows the front to collapse sum and get up on top. To stiff of a set up and you'll be trenchen all day.

So I get what your saying but being able to throw it around for where I ride may be alot of fun. Your setting would help me climb better but how I have it set up does just that, want it to pop the front end up so I can get it around. I can always switch it back.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
That's how I have mine set up and don't have a problem throwing it around but I do have it narrowed up. I ride Wyoming, Montana, Colorado and Idaho lots of tight tree riding and keep the suspension set up the same for all riding. It's a little soft for the ride in but works once off the beaten path.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Gear down, get a track that has bit instead of spinning.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

He asked for hop-overs. EG: You need to lift the front end. Is it the most effective setup for getting to the top at all costs. Nope. But it will transfer more weight and it will pull the skis to the sky.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
He asked for hop-overs. EG: You need to lift the front end. Is it the most effective setup for getting to the top at all costs. Nope. But it will transfer more weight and it will pull the skis to the sky.

Correct, not to talk myself up but I am pretty sound on a sled. I am also one of those guys who doesn't modify stuff as much because I cant out ride a stock one. Looking for set up tips that help get the front end up. I ride 75% of my time in extremely tight trees in the UP. A stock axys is like a turbo here, there aint much I cant get up what I want to do is be able to switch my direction faster on hills so I can be more technical. Wheelies dont help you get up a hill I am fully aware.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Just FYI - document all your changes. Also, I'd begin by just loosening your RTS. That alone may do the trick.

Premium Features