• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

South Dakota getting snow!!!!

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
actually.. the black hills national forest is the last "open forest" in the U.S... which means there really is no restrictions on vehicle travel on its grounds.. however you do have to follow guide lines..and have respect for others out there.. a day like today.. there probably isnt a lot of hunters up there.. but tommorow will be a different story.. I know nothing pisses me off worse than putting a long stock on something and then having a atv come up and scare the elk/deer off..

As for traveling over the private ground.. this is true.. and the NFS works hard to keep it possible.. so no reason to go and piss these people off IMO

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
actually.. the black hills national forest is the last "open forest" in the U.S... which means there really is no restrictions on vehicle travel on its grounds.. however you do have to follow guide lines..and have respect for others out there.. a day like today.. there probably isnt a lot of hunters up there.. but tommorow will be a different story.. I know nothing pisses me off worse than putting a long stock on something and then having a atv come up and scare the elk/deer off..

As for traveling over the private ground.. this is true.. and the NFS works hard to keep it possible.. so no reason to go and piss these people off IMO

X2!

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Good to see you on here Firetrail. Looking forward to another year of you on the spot and accurate reports, and looking forward to a few trips out that way.

here is the Deadwood cam link.

http://www.blackhillsdiscovered.com/siterun_data/web_cameras/deadwood.php

Hello:

Good to hear from you again also. Really hope it is a very "white" year. I moved out of Spearfish and live about a mile from Trailshead now. I parked my 4 wheeler next to the house the other day and now it is pretty much covered with snow. Probably around 2 feet. Looks like it is starting to let up a little. 4-5 feet is very optomistic. A few more inches is probably more like it. It could be 70 degrees here next week. It was a week ago. Who knows. This is not a good thing for the trail system. There is still a lot of signing and reroutes to be done and it is slow going in the snow and worse if it turns to mud. Anyway it does look like maybe the start of good things to come. Actually I think I will break out a sled and do a little riding today or tomorrow. I am sure there are many miles of firetrails with a couple feet of ridable snow.

R
Nov 28, 2007
Sioux City, IA
That much snow will definitely be good through the weekend if not longer. Temps are supposed to be in the upper 30s for the next week. I am heading out there EARLY Saturday morning to test out the new sled

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
Interstate 90 is closed, I can't get my front door open, possibility of 5 feet of snow in places in the hills, but then there is a matter of all the new foot tall stumps the loggers left all over the hills this year. If you had been riding with me last weekend as we drove some of the areas we ride in and seen all the new stumps, logs and existing rocks------I think I will wait until there is a nice 3 foot base, oh yeah and don't forget a few thousand deer hunters.

S
Feb 11, 2008
Moorhead, MN
Hello:

Good to hear from you again also. Really hope it is a very "white" year. I moved out of Spearfish and live about a mile from Trailshead now. I parked my 4 wheeler next to the house the other day and now it is pretty much covered with snow. Probably around 2 feet. Looks like it is starting to let up a little. 4-5 feet is very optomistic. A few more inches is probably more like it. It could be 70 degrees here next week. It was a week ago. Who knows. This is not a good thing for the trail system. There is still a lot of signing and reroutes to be done and it is slow going in the snow and worse if it turns to mud. Anyway it does look like maybe the start of good things to come. Actually I think I will break out a sled and do a little riding today or tomorrow. I am sure there are many miles of firetrails with a couple feet of ridable snow.

At least you have the white stuff there. It's been rarining here all day and for the last few days. we were supposed to get snow, but now they so no. To think I was riding the Harley on Monday! Sounds like you have the perfect place to live now. I assume you are will be working the same job this winter? Keep in touch and we will be looking for you when we head out.

Mike

mountainsnopro

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Flagstaff AZ
That much snow will definitely be good through the weekend if not longer. Temps are supposed to be in the upper 30s for the next week. I am heading out there EARLY Saturday morning to test out the new sled

Have you ever ridden in the hills this early? Where do you unload to get on the fire trails and forest service roads? They are the best riding other than off trail even when the trails are open! Cruising through 2-4 foot of fresh snow on a fire trail sounds like a blast to me! As long as a person used a little common sense and courtesy for the hunters. I have a 6 place enclosed trailer, diesel pickup, fuel is way down compared to 6 weeks ago, I'm in NE SD anybody with me!:D

A
Sep 18, 2008
pierre, sd
hopefully this is just the beggining of the snow series and not just a teaser..this would make for an excellent base for more storms..maybe i will actually get to do some riding in the hills this year without worrying bout coming out with one ski or trashed a arms

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Have you ever ridden in the hills this early? Where do you unload to get on the fire trails and forest service roads? They are the best riding other than off trail even when the trails are open! Cruising through 2-4 foot of fresh snow on a fire trail sounds like a blast to me! As long as a person used a little common sense and courtesy for the hunters. I have a 6 place enclosed trailer, diesel pickup, fuel is way down compared to 6 weeks ago, I'm in NE SD anybody with me!:D

i'm with ya just tell me where to meet you at i can be there anytime late tomorrow.

S
Aug 31, 2008
Hot Springs, SD
If i can make it from hot springs up to my inlaws cabin 1.5mi from trialshead tomorrow ill be sleddin on saturday. ill be sticking to the trails but itll still be 4ft of fresh pow. cant wait

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Some of the trails cross private property and sleds are not supposed to cross that property until the trails open on Dec. 15. Don't piss off any landowners. It is hunting season as well.

Premium Features