• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Soggy Butt Syndrome (SBS)

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
As far as warranty goes… They just tell me that it is wear and tear.They were supposed to be guaranteed waterproof that is, until you rip a bunch of holes in them from normal use. They used to be great about warranting things but now might as well not have any warranty at all.

B
Jan 7, 2019
Lethbridge
Got 4 rides in on my Klim scout, perfectly dry. I move around a lot on the seat, I used to get SBS on the trail up, 10 minutes into the ride, from banging along the sides and side hilling beside the trail. Klim website specs for the scout say it has a TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) material for the butt fabric, I don't believe it's breathable at all but it doesn't need to be imo as long as the rest of the suit is breathable.
I did have an issue with the internal gaiter thingy that has Velcro on it. I went to pull the Velcro apart and the stitching that holds the Velcro on all tore off. I'm very careful and go slow now when I pull on that Velcro. Need to contact Klim about warranty for that

C
Sep 8, 2014
Crested Butte
Got 4 rides in on my Klim scout, perfectly dry. I move around a lot on the seat, I used to get SBS on the trail up, 10 minutes into the ride, from banging along the sides and side hilling beside the trail. Klim website specs for the scout say it has a TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) material for the butt fabric, I don't believe it's breathable at all but it doesn't need to be imo as long as the rest of the suit is breathable.
I did have an issue with the internal gaiter thingy that has Velcro on it. I went to pull the Velcro apart and the stitching that holds the Velcro on all tore off. I'm very careful and go slow now when I pull on that Velcro. Need to contact Klim about warranty for that
That makes total sense.
Waterproof seat and let everything else breath.

Im gonna try to get something with a leather seat area like they do for the lower legs.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I have three sets of Klim gear, one set being used almost still water proof, one set I wear when plowing snow that is no longer good enough for a day on the sno bike, my original set I threw in my bigger dirt bike bag and wear when ever its muddy and gears going to be a solid mud bath. Boots about the same, I haven't wore any of them totally out, just no longer water proof.
3-4 years is about max life for gore tex no matter who is sewing it in their gear. always works great new, but I guesss dirt and sweat and flexing renders its a non player. I noticed years back my original Klim jacket was no longer even close to water proof on the tops of my shoulders on a rainly ride out of the Joko. So you can understand the seat of pants taking a lot of abuse and going away, but the tops of the sleeves of a a jacket, reinforces the idea that gore tex has a working life, then its done.

So now I'm looking ahead to new riding gear................and, I don't see any thing as good as goretex and its 4 year life.

B
Jan 7, 2019
Lethbridge
So now I'm looking ahead to new riding gear................and, I don't see any thing as good as goretex and its 4 year life.

Have you used any sympatex gear? Works on a different principle than goretex. I think 509 is using it on their new suits and Tobe has been using it for a while. I understand it doesn't need any maintenance like goretex does with the chemicals you throw in when you wash the gear

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I just spent my noon ho ur and a half researching sympatex. German company thats real serious about their product, thats good. A lot of reviews of garments with their membrane, but none from snow bikes or sleds. Everyboday talks rain test and no leaky seams, but butt pounding on snow melted by your hard working hindend , trapped between your pants and vinyl seat cover, no memtion of that. But, KTM has jackets made with this material and ski doo i promoting their snowmobile suits with the sympatex membrane, maybe there are some reviews from Sledders on butt wetting. Anyone out there ????

J
Feb 24, 2021
Washington
I bought the 509 Ether suit with the new material. SBS galore. My other gear is 509 Stoke bibs and jacket and they have kept me dry. I believe they are 5tech pro material. I really wanted to try the Tobe Rex but at 1100 it's a bit much to just tear it up on a bike

E
Dec 19, 2007

I'm going to try this on my shredded klim bibs. I'll make it thick enough to paint on.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Just a little side note -- we run snow deflectors over the open section of the track to keep the snow from hitting the hot pipe. This dramatically reduces the steam coming from the muffler and pipe and also helps with SBS. Steam is much harder on Gortex than snow or even water.
I’m curious as to the deflectors that you are referring to. Do you have any pictures?

A
Nov 14, 2017

I'm going to try this on my shredded klim bibs. I'll make it thick enough to paint on.
I would be interested in hearing how this goes for you. I feel like it would get rubbed off very quickly?

E
Dec 19, 2007
Naptha/silicone worked great. I've got over 100 miles on it and it's not wearing off. I did two coats on my butt area. The first coat soaked into the goretex and kept an almost original sheen. The 2nd coat layered on top and looks like a rubber panel sewn on. I would try just 1 coat if you worry about looks. The last 2 days were wet spring snow and my legs and jacket were soaked but my butt was dry.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
I have been wearing the Fly pants as well -- actually bought them before I got a bike. Two seasons so far, others have wet butts, I've been dry. They are super sturdy/thick/waterproof. Bought mine off a guy from Snowest.... So far, so good.

Premium Features