• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So if an airplane tries to take off from a large conveyor belt ....

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
H
Nov 26, 2007
Back in Idaho
I can also tell you that if the conveyor accelorates at the same speed as the plane does the plane will not move and therefore not generate the required airspeed to lift off.

BZZZZZT Wrong. You would be correct if the wheels drove the airplane forward. However, the engine thrust causes the plain to move forward and the wheels just allow it to roll over whatever is underneath it. It does not matter how fast the conveyor is moving, as long as the wheel bearings can take the relative velocity between the airplane and the conveyor without failing.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Kettle Falls WA
In the first discussion I maintained that the plane would not fly, the reason being is that in the first example the tire speed of the plane and the conveyor were exactly matched, but going opposite each other.
If the plane accelerated up the conveyor (which is possible) the speeds of the tire and conveyor would no longer be matched exactly. Following those circumstances to their conclusion would break the laws of physics.

This example leaves that stipulation out of the equation; therefore the plane is able to fly in these circumstances.

Thrust is irrelevant in both scenarios. :cool:

S

sldgy

In the first discussion I maintained that the plane would not fly, the reason being is that in the first example the tire speed of the plane and the conveyor were exactly matched, but going opposite each other.
If the plane accelerated up the conveyor (which is possible) the speeds of the tire and conveyor would no longer be matched exactly. Following those circumstances to their conclusion would break the laws of physics.

This example leaves that stipulation out of the equation; therefore the plane is able to fly in these circumstances.

YES and YES

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
Man, I can't believe you guys are all so dense.

NO FRIKKEN WAY IT WILL EVER TAKE OFF!!!

Thats right! I said it!!

8e74653a.gif

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
Too bad you cannot resurrect the original thread. Can't remember exactly how many pages that one turned out to be, but it was fun. I still get a chuckle out of remembering all the numbskulls in that one.
Hey, I resemble that remark! It was fun arguing that it wouldn't take off just for the hell of it.

W
Jan 2, 2008

This guy is exactly right, and is obviously smarter than all of you :p

no, the plane will not fly as the question is worded.

O

opus

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Creek, MT
The plane will not fly. Even if the plane could, it doesnt matter now. The plane would be better off sitting there and having YOUR president bail the airline company out.

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
Oh man, some of those answers brought tears to my eyes...lol. Of course it will fly. besides they proved it on mythbusters.

It was funny though because there were actually some pilots on there who didnt think it would fly.

Its a lot easier to visualize when you realize that the thrust is independent of the ground, like the plane is being towed by a rope.

Premium Features