• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So if an airplane tries to take off from a large conveyor belt ....

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Fug, not again!!

thrust isn't restricted by conveyor, thrust creates air speed, air speed creates lift, wa la it flies.:)

A
Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
If you are running on a treadmill do you feel wind? Of course not because you are not moving, so it is safe to say it can't fly because it needs lift (wind) to take off.

I'm sorry but you guys are all wrong, you are ALL missing a crutial peice of information, is Chuck Norris onboard? Because if he is onboard, and the airplane doesn't take off, he will be sooooo mad that due to the math equation E=MC2, the universe will implode causing the death of every living being, except Chuck Norris, of course.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Prince George BC
I think its only fitting that my first post on the new forum is to the mess that I started on this topic...

A better question is:
Will an XP beat a Dragon on a conveyor belt?

ps- the plane will fly and those that think it wont can stick to mowing lawns and leave the physics to the professionals ;)

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Will an XP beat a Dragon on a conveyor belt?

That depends, are there any pine cones on this conveyer belt? If there is the XP definitly won't win as the PCDS will shut the motor down before it has a chance to move. ;) Even if there isn't any pine cones on the conveyer belt, the Dragon will still win. Dragons fly and make XP owner's cry! ;)

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
lift is not created by thrust if the object isnt moving....the wheels are moving....the plane isnt....i do think i saw 2 more votes for spontaneous combustion though

B
Nov 26, 2007
i'll say it one last time from the cheap seats....

DIRECTIONAL THRUST IS GENERATED INDEPENDENT OF HOW FAST THE WHEELS ARE MOVING, DOESN'T MATTER IF THE WHEELS ARE TURNING AT 1,000,000 MPH, THE JET ENGINE CAN GENERATE FORWARD MOVEMENT REGARDLESS

until it explodes anyway...

:D

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
This was probably my all time favorite thread, Bonz 50 has it right, it flies no problem, it accelerates in relation to the surrounding atmosphere (since that is what the engine developes thrust against) just as it would on a runway, conveyor, water or jello. The aircraft engineers I work with got a kick out of some of the responses from the "no" crowd.

Premium Features