• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoWest 2021 Trailer: WHICH BRAND TRAILER should I buy this time around??

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Maybe if I rolled my original vehicle and it burst into flames..... some good samaritans picked me up and it was the only way to go riding.... then... I could see it.

C
Jan 14, 2020
So the Tail of the sled is NOT hung from the roof.
Rather the track is supported by some structure from the floor elevating it up in the air?
Yep, just a frame sitting on the floor. I would make the skid/track supports bolted into the base frame so they are removable. Will take about 10 minutes to setup. And 10 to remove.

Not a complete pain in the ass, but with 4 sleds its whatcha gotta do. Going to need 2 people, maybe 1 and a ratchet strap for the rear.

Ths skiplate doesnt take a lot of weight, but under that plastic is all the bulkhead which always carries that weight, so might as well take some weight off the arms.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
My question is what is the goal? We regularly have 5 guys in the truck for short trips, but that gets uncomfortable fast going far. So 4 in the truck, an extra sled for the group, that’s 5 in the trailer. I haven’t had to travel far so I am asking. Our big trip a year is a couple of hundred miles in the truck, and 2-3 nights.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My question is what is the goal? We regularly have 5 guys in the truck for short trips, but that gets uncomfortable fast going far. So 4 in the truck, an extra sled for the group, that’s 5 in the trailer. I haven’t had to travel far so I am asking. Our big trip a year is a couple of hundred miles in the truck, and 2-3 nights.
The goal is a 2 sled trailer, that can be made to hold FOUR SLEDS on special occassions.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
That’s called a sled deck and two place.

Or a stacker.

Chances setup being discussed is still in use?

Not very often if at all is my bet.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I wouldn’t go through all pull the skis mess unless you are trailering a long ways. Before I bought the trailer I have now, I explored doing what you are suggesting on a 2 place I had. My plan was to build an internal a frame that attached To the floor crossmembers. The frame would follow the wall and roof line. Lifting with a come a long or a boat winch. Attach them to the frame at the sides of the bumpers when lifted. Motorcycle strap the front bumpers to a loop on the floor and use 3 motorcycle straps, one between the rear bumpers and one on each side to the wall. This will keep them from swinging like 1/2 a beef in a locker. Run the next 2 up underneath tie the backs and pray it works. I determined my 10 ft box 5 ft vnose 6 foot roofed trailer wasn’t big enough to make it work.
Never saw it done, but that was my theory.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Keep in mind stuffing twice as many in as there’s room for plus added framework very likely exceeds your axle weight rating.
I’m no stranger to bent and broken spindles even with correct weight ratings.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
For what it was going to cost, and the potential problems I sold it and bought a 7x20 box 5ft vnose. Low chassis so it’s good in the wind. We have had 4 in it probably 20 times. 2 174 and 2 165. Mine is a steel frame, still very 1/2 ton towable. The aluminum frame would be a dream.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
So now we're rapidly approaching 2022... Christopher, Have you been doing any more research on brands or narrowing down the desired specs yet? It's snowing in them there hills!

Premium Features