• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP cheater head 800VES

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
Alright I have a 03 800 vertical escape that is now going to be used as a backup sled. This sled came with v-force 3 reeds, SLP air box SLP single pipe and a SLP high altitude cheater head that requires the use of a 30% racegas mix. The last owner also gave me the original stock head with the sled. As I have never ridden the sled without the Cheater head. Will I loose alot of performance if I switch back to the stock head? How much does the head really add? I don't know if I really want to have to purchase race gas for this sled. But I don't want to loose any performance either. What would you do?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I can't imagine that you would lose much by changing the heads when just using the single pipe. If you do pull if them off and decide not to run them, shoot me a pm. I may be interested in your heads. I am running twins on mine with ported cylinders and am thinking about adding the heads this year. I ran mine with a slp single and stock head when it was new and it did rip. Very bulletproof and never had to mess with jetting or clutching. Not as forgiving with the twins but it pulls hard at wot. The single was a better all around set up, but at this point, I am addicted to what it will do when pinned and would be tough to go back to the single.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Alright I have a 03 800 vertical escape that is now going to be used as a backup sled. This sled came with v-force 3 reeds, SLP air box SLP single pipe and a SLP high altitude cheater head that requires the use of a 30% racegas mix. The last owner also gave me the original stock head with the sled. As I have never ridden the sled without the Cheater head. Will I loose alot of performance if I switch back to the stock head? How much does the head really add? I don't know if I really want to have to purchase race gas for this sled. But I don't want to loose any performance either. What would you do?

I had the SLP cheaters on my 2002 800 EDGE-X at 1200' elevation, heads definitely make a noticeable bottom end/mid-range GRUNT improvement.

That being said something doesn't add up here. According to the SLP catalog ALL Cheater heads when used w/SLP SINGLE PIPES DO NOT REQUIRE RACE FUEL.

The only combination that requires a BLEND of 1 gal 108 octane combined w/4 gallons 91 octane is head part # 12-533, or 12-535, or 12-5354 ONLY WHEN USED @ 6000-9000' AND TWIN PIPES. The #12-535 IS RECCOMENDED FOR THE 2003 VERTICAL ESCAPE for 6000'+ w/single pipe or 6000-9000' twin pipes and race fuel blend.

You may want to call SLP's tech line @ (208) 524-3397 to see if they can help you identify which heads you have (you'll have to remove the head cover to read the #'s).

But since you're running the SLP single I don't think the race fuel blend is neccesary,I.M.H.O. Unless they're heads intended for a higher elevation than what you're running the sled at, you didn't mention the elevation.

The other option would be to put a compression gauge on it, since there's a wide variance between gauges and conditions, compare it to a sled you're familiar with and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
The first thing I did was email SLP when I got the sled because the heads are not listed in thier catalog. I would have to pull the heads again for the part number. I told Them I was running a SLP single pipe, SLP air box, Vforce 3 reeds and this head, They said these are high altitude heads It is a 15:1 compression ratio which would be borderline safe to ride above 10,000 ft on 91 pump and will require the use of 70% 91 pump to 30% 110 race gas.

Like I said I have never ridden the sled without the heads so I don't know how much power I would loose If I go back to stock. Is it a real seat of the pants type of power difference or is it one of those I will hardley notice? If I hardley notice it I would rather not pay the extra for the race gas.

How ever my UBR 900 requires the use of a 30% mix also so I will still have to buy race gas anyway. Just trying to cut cost on the loaner/backup sled. But I still want to have fun when I have to ride it.;)

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
The first thing I did was email SLP when I got the sled because the heads are not listed in thier catalog. I would have to pull the heads again for the part number. I told Them I was running a SLP single pipe, SLP air box, Vforce 3 reeds and this head, They said these are high altitude heads It is a 15:1 compression ratio which would be borderline safe to ride above 10,000 ft on 91 pump and will require the use of 70% 91 pump to 30% 110 race gas.

Like I said I have never ridden the sled without the heads so I don't know how much power I would loose If I go back to stock. Is it a real seat of the pants type of power difference or is it one of those I will hardley notice? If I hardley notice it I would rather not pay the extra for the race gas.

How ever my UBR 900 requires the use of a 30% mix also so I will still have to buy race gas anyway. Just trying to cut cost on the loaner/backup sled. But I still want to have fun when I have to ride it.;)

I put heads on EVERYTHING I own/buy (sleds/ jet-skis) and it's ALWAYS seat of the pants feel right off idle and mid-range. No noticeable top end change. As a compromise can you buy another set of SLP heads , w/slighly lower compression so that it's compatible w/91 octane??? I know it hurts to spend another $300+ for a back-up, but you could sell the old heads to re-coup some $$$$ and would save on the race fuel.

Last edited:

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i have a stock head that i would sell you cheap if you wanted it. its an 04 head and would come with the set sensor

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009

They wouldnt Happen to be 12-532 heads would they? If so I have the same ones. And they are not in the catolog. I got them with 800cc sled I bought they were not on the sled, and I have not used them. I found out what they are by searching them on Google.

They are for 2002-2003 Polaris XC/ RMK Twin Piped sleds for 6000 + FT with 48 CC displacement.

See here.
http://www.startinglineproducts.com/instsheets/800_cheater.pdf

Any one want them? I wont be using them As I wont run twin pipes on this sled. Shoot me an offer.

Last edited:
Premium Features