• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled buying complaint / rant

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
other thing you gotta remember is the amount of scammers puts a dent on us guys who are ready with cash too. Buddy and I picked up over 80 sleds 5 years ago when Canadian dollar was strong. a month ago I texted a guy in Utah and asked about sled and told him I was coming down to pick a bunch of sleds up. He called me a thieving fu&*er and to piss off. lol I understand if I asked him to ship the sled on my paypal account, but I told him I would be at his door with cash and pick the sled up and he still thought I was a scammer.

the guy you talked to in ut. was probably leery about scams because you were in Canada, i.e. another country . most anyone that puts sled's up for sale in ut get scam calls with offers to buy and arrange pick up by an agent at a latter time, we have been just driven crazy by these type of deals and it is hard to separate the legitimate offers from the scams.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I feel bad for you.

So did you find a sled to buy ????

Hint:
picture.php

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
the guy you talked to in ut. was probably leery about scams because you were in Canada, i.e. another country . most anyone that puts sled's up for sale in ut get scam calls with offers to buy and arrange pick up by an agent at a latter time, we have been just driven crazy by these type of deals and it is hard to separate the legitimate offers from the scams.

Ditto. Had this happen to me last weekend on sled I sold on Craigslist. A marine biologist from Minnesota who is away at sea got me a little nervous.

Johnny T.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Arlington MN
It doesn't look like any money transacted.

No money transacted. Ball was in sellers court and he dropped it. In sellers defense I do see his point of selling locally, a lot simpler. My son is still looking, and he's after a 13 pro retro but hard to come by. He will stick close to home this time to save trouble. Got a lot of positive opinions on this thread everyone was constructive in one way or another. Thanks for letting me vent and also learn. :face-icon-small-win

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
On a bigger ticket item like a sled, and where the buyer couldn't be there immediately to pick it up, it'd be pretty normal for the seller to request a deposit .. .it'd also be pretty normal for the buyer, when he couldn't be there to pick it up, to have a great desire to lock in the deal . .and leave a deposit . .. . .I couldn't imagine not sending 500 bucks, or something, to show I'm serious and will be coming.. paypal makes it so simple and easy to do something like that it can't get any easier ..

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I can see why you're steamed, but I can also see the seller's reasoning.

I have sold many vehicles, sleds, dirtbikes, and a ton of other crap via Craigslist, etc....and 70% of the people who contact you are scammers at worst, or retards at best. Out of the remaining 30% - 1/2 of those who set up an appointment to come look at it or "buy" it never show up and you never hear from them again. And that is being generous IMO.

So given all of that....man, it'd be pretty tough to turn down cash from someone ready to pick it up locally. Not the nicest move in the world, but I get it.

From years of selling cars, I think the best move would be to wrap your head around other colour options and find something closer and in good shape. Good luck

M

Mr Nasty

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, alaska
If I was the seller I probably would have called your son and told him i needed a deposit or the sled was going to be sold. Simple and would have saved any heartache in the deal. I'm old school... A mans word is bond.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I can see why you're steamed, but I can also see the seller's reasoning.

I have sold many vehicles, sleds, dirtbikes, and a ton of other crap via Craigslist, etc....and 70% of the people who contact you are scammers at worst, or retards at best. Out of the remaining 30% - 1/2 of those who set up an appointment to come look at it or "buy" it never show up and you never hear from them again. And that is being generous IMO.

So given all of that....man, it'd be pretty tough to turn down cash from someone ready to pick it up locally. Not the nicest move in the world, but I get it.

From years of selling cars, I think the best move would be to wrap your head around other colour options and find something closer and in good shape. Good luck
Ill remember that if I'm ever buying anything off you. Your word is worth nothing!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
?

Not saying I would do that....just saying its easy to see how it happens. I've had very similar scenarios happen to me as the seller, turned down the local guy cause out-of-town guy said he was buying it....never hear from him again. 2 buyers usually turns in to 0. Now in this scenario, OP sounds like a good dude and obviously invented to follow through, and that's why it sucks.

I've sold much more 2nd hand stuff and vehicles than the average bear and never pizzed anyone off or even had an issue. Including on here, and plenty of stuff with "honour system" rules. So you can check yer tone at the door slappy :)

Last edited:

TRACKS USA

Premium Member
Mar 19, 2010
Lake Lillian, Mn 56253
www.tracksusa.com
Life'S lessons

I am a relatively old guy--been buying and selling for close to 50 years. I tell everybody that I am still waiting for the buyer from 50 years ago who promised to be here in 3 hours! Some people's word is worthless--based on my experience.

When I sell to a distant buyer a specific time is established for either payment or their appearance. If it does not happen I am not bound to the deal--but my word is good and I will hold even if cash walks in the door in the meantime. Most in the world today do not know how to live by this ethic.

If you want to purchase used at a distance it is no difference that going to Las Vegas--how much do you want to gamble? If you want assurance then go look--if you want to gamble then go for it and forget the looking. Been there, done that many times----some people are honest and honorable and some are just downright crooks and some do not know the difference--the choice is the buyers. Unless you are dealing with someone with an established reputation do not bitch if you get burned--you took the gamble.

In this case it appears to be an unfortunate but necessary lesson in life for a young man. Just remember---the same day they made that snowmobile they made many more just like it---now you need to have fun finding another one and enjoy a positive experience purchasing it. :face-icon-small-hap

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
I had an enclosed trailer for sale and a guy called me and said he wanted it but could not pick it up for 2 weeks as he lived 150 miles away. H asked if I wanted a deposit. I said sure send me 2 hundred dollars. Next day a guy called and wanted the trailer real bad said he lived 90 miles away and he cold be here in 2 hours with 500 more than I was asking, as I told him about the first guy wanting it and he was sending me a deposit. I told the 2nd guy I was waiting 5 days for the deposit. 2nd guy called me on the fifth day to see if I got the deposit. I hadn't but I was going to wait a couple more days as I forgot about Presidents day and mail being delayed. He said he would give me 600 over asking price because he had looked every where and could not find a trailer that size. I said I was waiting. On the 7th day I called the first guy and he said he had sent the check but mail had not been picked up for 2 days due to weather and I believed him as I knew he lied in a very remote area of Montana. 2 weeks came and I still had no check and was about to call guy number 2 and guy 1 called said they were in town 2 get the trailer I said did you bring 200 more dollars as I still have not received the check. He paid me cash and I told him if the check ever showed up I would burn it. Check came in the mail the next day. It was written the day we made the deal and postmarked 2 days later. I never once told him I could have sold it to someone else for more money. I am a man of my word and sometimes it gets me burned but I refuse to change. I also have made a few deals where the I will come in 2 weeks to pick it up shoe was on my foot. And had the seller sell to some one else. Those people will always be azzholes.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I had an enclosed trailer for sale and a guy called me and said he wanted it but could not pick it up for 2 weeks as he lived 150 miles away. H asked if I wanted a deposit. I said sure send me 2 hundred dollars. Next day a guy called and wanted the trailer real bad said he lived 90 miles away and he cold be here in 2 hours with 500 more than I was asking, as I told him about the first guy wanting it and he was sending me a deposit. I told the 2nd guy I was waiting 5 days for the deposit. 2nd guy called me on the fifth day to see if I got the deposit. I hadn't but I was going to wait a couple more days as I forgot about Presidents day and mail being delayed. He said he would give me 600 over asking price because he had looked every where and could not find a trailer that size. I said I was waiting. On the 7th day I called the first guy and he said he had sent the check but mail had not been picked up for 2 days due to weather and I believed him as I knew he lied in a very remote area of Montana. 2 weeks came and I still had no check and was about to call guy number 2 and guy 1 called said they were in town 2 get the trailer I said did you bring 200 more dollars as I still have not received the check. He paid me cash and I told him if the check ever showed up I would burn it. Check came in the mail the next day. It was written the day we made the deal and postmarked 2 days later. I never once told him I could have sold it to someone else for more money. I am a man of my word and sometimes it gets me burned but I refuse to change. I also have made a few deals where the I will come in 2 weeks to pick it up shoe was on my foot. And had the seller sell to some one else. Those people will always be azzholes.
Thats what I was talking about earlier. Your word is your bond. Good job. Unfortunately there is less and less like you...

J
Nov 27, 2007
sale

I am currently trying to sell a couple sleds and my opinion at this point is first one here with the money. already kick myself for waiting 3 weeks for a guy that was coming to get it over and over and never made it..

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
julio ..how are ya not asking for a deposit? . ..if a buyer is serious then there shouldn't be any issue at all with giving one .. ..I just don't get all the guys here talking about waiting for a buyer to show up who'd verbally committed ..and they didn't get a deposit ... nobody to complain to really when it's so stinkin' easy- not snailmail- to do so ...and I don't see any problem with protecting yourself on your end by setting a time limit so ya don't wait forever for the guy to show .. .tell'em you'll take the deposit and they need to be there in a week or two or whatever you agree on.. after that the deposit is void and it goes back on the market. .

snohomish

Premium Member
Jan 9, 2013
Your word is your word when it's all said and done that is all that's left. It should be some thing that more people value. Tough situation for your son to grasp but it goes to show character, there were things the seller probably failed to tell you about the sled and it's better off that you don't have to deal with it. Good luck

J
Nov 27, 2007
julio ..how are ya not asking for a deposit? . ..if a buyer is serious then there shouldn't be any issue at all with giving one .. ..I just don't get all the guys here talking about waiting for a buyer to show up who'd verbally committed ..and they didn't get a deposit ... nobody to complain to really when it's so stinkin' easy- not snailmail- to do so ...and I don't see any problem with protecting yourself on your end by setting a time limit so ya don't wait forever for the guy to show .. .tell'em you'll take the deposit and they need to be there in a week or two or whatever you agree on.. after that the deposit is void and it goes back on the market. .

you are correct, my fault for not getting a deposit, that is why I did not bash the guy for haggling out a price and saying he would come get it. but as a result I didn't take them to the swap meet etc. etc. I only commented because the rant was based on your word is your word.
from here forward I will be taking peoples word when backed with money. Not the way I think it should be but I like to think I am not to old to learn. julio

T
Nov 26, 2007
Being forthright and honest goes along way in this world. You have not much more than your word and reputation. If you say you are coming to buy something you damn sure better make an attempt to do so. Be honest in answering questions as a seller. The last thing I want to do is travel any distance to look at anything you have for sale to find it misrepresented. For example a sled that is trail ready should have hyfax that are not worn through. A good seat actually has a cover left on it . Hand warmers should get warm etc...... If asked about a clean title you need to tell me that it has been signed over to 30 different buyers and there is no chance that the clerk and recorder is not going to laugh me out of the court house. Answer your phone when you have something listed for sale. I do not care how busy you are if I bought something from you that needs shipping ship it in a timely manner. I have given up buying or trading things long distance after my last Snowest transaction. A dishonest person from Idaho Falls that misrepresented his items and made one to many promises to ship the parts that were missing but has yet to follow through 6 weeks later. It took me 50 years to learn this lesson. Treat others as you expect to be treated apparently just gets you screwed. Have had a few good deals through snowest ads but in general have been taken as often as treated fairly.

Premium Features