• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled buying complaint / rant

Johnny T.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Arlington MN
My son recently made a deal to buy a sled from a guy on here. We are in MN He's in Idaho. My son was going to send him the money and when we go out west end of the month we get the sled then. They had worked out a deal for the sled to be delivered to West Yellowstone. The guy was suppose to call my son back to work out the $ transfer, and after a couple days of no call's my son called him only to find out he had sold the sled out from under him. My son was going to pay full price for it never haggled on it. My question is what would you do if you were the seller? I realize it's a long distance sale, but if you make the deal and then renig why should you be trusted? What if we would have hopped in the pickup and drove 1200+ miles and have this happen? Not very happy, but what's done is done.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Understandable., but first come first serve is how it goes now a days....I can't begin to tell you how many times I have heard money is in the mail or I'll be there tomorrow to buy it and they never show.

When I sell stuff that someone from far away wants to buy I require a 10% non-refundable deposit sent via western union or bank transfer.

DPG

Johnny T.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Arlington MN
I think we've all had no shows, but we set timelines / deposits to hold stuff for sure. I've sold and bought many things long distance and never gave up until timeline had past which wasn't the case this time.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Post the sellers name and let's have a hay day with this.
The snow sucks so this thread will take us to the next big snowfall.

S
Jan 16, 2008
Lincoln MT
any Joe Blow can talk on the phone and text to make a "deal" I don't care what someone says unless there is money in my Paypal account or the person is standing in my shop with cash in hand for the product I have for sale. This is coming from a person who had a sled get sold from under him just last month. Who knows what the situation was, maybe the seller needed money for an emergency. About to get evicted from his/her house and needed money now?

R
Nov 15, 2013
SE Wisconsin
You aired your rant, time to move on. A lesson for your son to learn, don't trust the word of other people. Too many are scumbags.
Also, we only have one side of the story.

B

bigbone

Nov 26, 2007
Iowa
I had a deal something like that a while back. I live in Iowa and bought a sled from a guy in Colorado. I told him I would take the sled. 3 or 4 weeks went buy playing phone tag and trying to get a time lined up that would work for both of us. He held it for me until I got there. Great guy to deal with.Sometimes it works great like my deal and sometimes it ends like yours did.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I wouldn't count on the sled being sold until the money is in my hand, and if I'm buying I don't consider it mine until I've paid for it. Like posted above too many tire kickers. I've been on my way to buy things before and had people call me and tell me its sold.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
My son recently made a deal to buy a sled from a guy on here. We are in MN He's in Idaho. My son was going to send him the money and when we go out west end of the month we get the sled then. They had worked out a deal for the sled to be delivered to West Yellowstone. The guy was suppose to call my son back to work out the $ transfer, and after a couple days of no call's my son called him only to find out he had sold the sled out from under him. My son was going to pay full price for it never haggled on it. My question is what would you do if you were the seller? I realize it's a long distance sale, but if you make the deal and then renig why should you be trusted? What if we would have hopped in the pickup and drove 1200+ miles and have this happen? Not very happy, but what's done is done.
If your son had a verbal agreement and the seller sold it out from under you, without a opportunity for you to complete with his terms. Then he is a POS. Unfortunately today the world is full of people like this and the days of... My word is my bond. Are gone. If you need to sell your stuff that bad, that you need money to pay your rent or a habit. Tell the buyer that a your not going to wait and that this is a first come first serve transaction. Common courtesy

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
you never know...your son could have gotten that sled and been riding and ending up in a very unfortunate sad situation...So i would look at the whole deal as maybe some Angel could have been looking over him and wants him riding other iron..

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
As a seller that has been stung by many buyers I have also become calist. Since I do not KNOW the details..ie a lot of buyers say things like...."I will take it as long as....or I want it and will send you the money as soon as my dad says its ok....or I will send you a deposit, as soon as I can cash my check" You get my drift.

My advice to you as a buyer is if you really want to lock in a long distance deal...Make the deal and seal it with "I will paypal you a deposit RIGHT now to secure the deal" if seller refuses to take your paypal deposit and insists on mailing only than you can only take him at his word. But even me a guy that would sell you out if you give yourself ANY option out in your conversation would hold it for a guy that offered to pay me a paypal up front and I refused.

I recently had a deal I was pursuing with a concrete leveling business. A friend of mine said he wanted it to. Well to make a long story short we both went over to view the equipment and I let him take the lead. After kicking tires for a while he told the seller...."yeah I am pretty sure we are close here, Let me know when you want to get it out of here". IN my friends mind he seen that as a deal. As we drove off I told him I was going to call the seller and buy it myself unless he stepped up. He then put it in reverse and changed his terms to..."I will take it and when do you want the money". As you can see that story from the buyer can be seen a different way in his mind..but I would of had no troubles convincing the seller to take my deal if he would of drove off.

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I've bought and sold a few toys long distance and it can be risky. I've also had 2 dozen flake calls for something I'm selling before I get a serious offer or interest.
Hard to tell what happened. Could've been a dick move by the seller or could have been a misunderstanding.
Heck I've bought a sled out from under someone. Saw a screamin deal on CL on my '12 Pro a couple years ago and the timing was right to hit the bank, gate a fistfuls of cash and hit the road for a 400 mi road trip. I "told" the seller I was on my way and would have been pissed if it was gone when I got there, but instead the guy that called when he was "on his way" was pissed because she told him I was loading it in my truck as they spoke.
Personally I would never buy a used sled/bike/wheeler sight unseen anyway. Way to much could be wrong with it.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Was there a deposit paid? Was it paid in full? That part was not clear. How much was the deal?

More details from the OP would be great.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Maybe I am just a Dinosaur from a bygone era, but

quote-i-believe-in-the-sacredness-of-a-promise-that-a-man-s-word-should-be-as-good-as-his-bond-that-john-d-rockefeller-jr-262486.jpg

6c6ewwed82jqd9ve.png

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I see said the blind man. Thanks for clarifying fellas.

To answer the OP's question-I would have taken the money from the person I made the deal with and met them in Jellystone like I said I would.

S
Mar 10, 2014
Colorado Springs
Sh*t happens.

I had a similar situation almost happen with a member on here. I was selling a 153 Powerclaw track. A member told me he wanted it but he would be out of town for a bit. I told him I would hold it for him.

Later on, another guy offered me considerably more money for the track and agreed on a time and place to meet. I was kinda torn on what to do, because I've sold a bunch of sh*t on Craigslist and on forums, and there have been about a billion times that someone has called me or emailed and said they wanted the item, but then never call back and suddenly just drop off the planet. Go figure.

Anyway... I'm fixin to sell the track to high bidder guy because who the eff knows if it's for realsies sold to the first guy.

...Then the first guy actually calls me back to come pick up the track. I did what I said I'd do, and sold it to him. He was a champ about it, and even gave me a little more than the original agreed price after I told him I was kind of now selling it out from underneath another guy. He still got a good deal, I came out with less than I could have, so I guess we came to a compromise.

It ended up making me feel like kinda a dick all the way around, but for f*cks sake... I see it from a few angles. I'm all for keeping my word, but buyers don't more often than not, in my experience.

In this instance, the guy was a stand-up buyer, but I don't know that from an email.

Hell, I have a Cold Air Intake for an F150 on CL right now that a guy bailed out on yesterday.

Anyone want a AEM Brute Force intake for a 5.4L Ford?

I feel like a dick for selling it, because I personally think it's a piece of sh*t. CAI's are useless for anything but decoration under the hood.

So there's another "buyer/seller" debate. Am I an a$$hole for selling an item which someone might think is useful, when I actually know is pretty much a piece of garbage?

C
Nov 29, 2008
Sh*t happens.

I had a similar situation almost happen with a member on here. I was selling a 153 Powerclaw track. A member told me he wanted it but he would be out of town for a bit. I told him I would hold it for him.

Later on, another guy offered me considerably more money for the track and agreed on a time and place to meet. I was kinda torn on what to do, because I've sold a bunch of sh*t on Craigslist and on forums, and there have been about a billion times that someone has called me or emailed and said they wanted the item, but then never call back and suddenly just drop off the planet. Go figure.

Anyway... I'm fixin to sell the track to high bidder guy because who the eff knows if it's for realsies sold to the first guy.

...Then the first guy actually calls me back to come pick up the track. I did what I said I'd do, and sold it to him. He was a champ about it, and even gave me a little more than the original agreed price after I told him I was kind of now selling it out from underneath another guy. He still got a good deal, I came out with less than I could have, so I guess we came to a compromise.

It ended up making me feel like kinda a dick all the way around, but for f*cks sake... I see it from a few angles. I'm all for keeping my word, but buyers don't more often than not, in my experience.

In this instance, the guy was a stand-up buyer, but I don't know that from an email.

Hell, I have a Cold Air Intake for an F150 on CL right now that a guy bailed out on yesterday.

Anyone want a AEM Brute Force intake for a 5.4L Ford?

I feel like a dick for selling it, because I personally think it's a piece of sh*t. CAI's are useless for anything but decoration under the hood.

So there's another "buyer/seller" debate. Am I an a$$hole for selling an item which someone might think is useful, when I actually know is pretty much a piece of garbage?

ha hah haha .... selling our Nytros comes to mind ....
As long as people are upfront about it ... usually first one to put cash in my hand takes it ...if someone calls and wants to view I tell them the same thing and will specify a time frame to view - if they haven't shown / called to advise they are running late I have no problem selling to another person.
Have bought stuff unseen and in most cases offer a deposit by paypal / transfer / email to hold otherwise I cannot fault the seller for selling it!

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
other thing you gotta remember is the amount of scammers puts a dent on us guys who are ready with cash too. Buddy and I picked up over 80 sleds 5 years ago when Canadian dollar was strong. a month ago I texted a guy in Utah and asked about sled and told him I was coming down to pick a bunch of sleds up. He called me a thieving fu&*er and to piss off. lol I understand if I asked him to ship the sled on my paypal account, but I told him I would be at his door with cash and pick the sled up and he still thought I was a scammer.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
ha hah haha .... selling our Nytros comes to mind ....
As long as people are upfront about it ... usually first one to put cash in my hand takes it ...if someone calls and wants to view I tell them the same thing and will specify a time frame to view - if they haven't shown / called to advise they are running late I have no problem selling to another person.
Have bought stuff unseen and in most cases offer a deposit by paypal / transfer / email to hold otherwise I cannot fault the seller for selling it!
Did you read the original post???

Premium Features