• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seeley Lake 13/14

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Hey guys, there are 6 of us heading west the 19-23. I see the conditions look great in the area. I was wondering if you guys could send some information about the area my way. It would be much appreciated. I love riding new places and haven't ever really heard much about the area. We ride all over the place, been to cooke city and wolf creek pass in colorado so far this year.

Whats the riding like?
Elevation?
Current Condtions?
Riding area size? (Does it get tracked up quick?)
Best places to stay, eat, buy parts from, etc.
Any ride from your front door areas?
Guides? or the need for them?

Thanks in advance!

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
We stayed at the Tamaracks last year and had a great experience! Super nice people and clean cabins! You are on the North end of the lake. It puts you just north of town so it is a ride down the lake to get to town but it was worth it.
http://www.tamaracks.com/index.html

Last edited:
M

MT BoonDockerBoy

Dec 23, 2012
Seeley Lake, MT
www.calebkesterke.com
You must not have seen that one tree on the banks of Elsina either.. :face-icon-small-win LOL Thanks for helping dig me out when I tried to come help out and caused more work for the both of us!! Hope you get your Doo operational soon.

Aaron

Ahh, what's one or two more stucks at the end of the day anyway? lol

Still not my sled but I rode here yesterday again...

112dfli.jpg

Our riding elevation varies from 5-7k with a little riding over 8k but not much. It's easy to follow tracks into the popular riding areas but those also are the ones that are always tracked up. The West side of the valley is what 90% of people ride. Riding all day and not crossing tracks you can get probably 3-4 days of riding on the West side. The East side of the Highway has some hidden gems that really don't get ridden much. You can easily ride 3 days without crossing tracks once on the East side. All the riding here can be accessed from town or motel door. I rode from December through the end of April without trailering. If you can read a map and use google earth, Topo and related you won't have any problem getting into the riding areas. A good guide can come in handy to get you to the untracked good riding if it's been a while since the last snow fall or if you're riding the East side.

rrjames

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2012
Missoula, MT
That all looks sick. I will have to make some seeley trips this year...not sure why I almost always go to lolo.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
That all looks sick. I will have to make some seeley trips this year...not sure why I almost always go to lolo.

I got to Seeley a few times last year. Had GREAT powder every time.

Rode Elsina/Dinah a LOT. Love the powder up at the terraces. BUT, there are some sweet spots up there that never get tracks. HEHE

rrjames

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2012
Missoula, MT
I got to Seeley a few times last year. Had GREAT powder every time.

Rode Elsina/Dinah a LOT. Love the powder up at the terraces. BUT, there are some sweet spots up there that never get tracks. HEHE

Yeah I'm still kicking myself for the one day I bailed on going...over the hood powder and I went to work/ school instead...

I'm still hearing about that one.

Once I get back on the 29th I will have to make a run.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Get used to it man...it happens ALL the time. Every season. HAHAH

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Anyone going tomorrow? Looking for someone to go with, most likely just me but maybe one other guy. I'm on a 12 cat with turbo. Letme know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The snow was REALLY REALLY deep yesterday.
No tracks to be made...only trenches.

But Elsina was so chewed up...I mean REALLY rutted and chewed up. Everyone and their tribe made trenched the hell out of that lake. LOL

Get back into the pockets and you'll be rewarded beyond your wildest dreams.

Every single group we encountered between Elsina and Dinah...1/2 of their sleds were stock with skis in the air. HAHA. It was quite a day.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
I was up there yesterday but had to come back to Helena early. I broke trail into Dinah and on te way out it was a war zone. Felt bad I couldn't stop to help. Still looking for someone to go tomorrow

M

MT BoonDockerBoy

Dec 23, 2012
Seeley Lake, MT
www.calebkesterke.com
Finally got my sled running and now I have to pull it all apart again to fix a crank seal leak. Otherwise I'd ride tomorrow.

Hit the East side this evening for a little night ride. The snow isn't as deep as the West side but not seeing another track all day made up for it. Snowed like 5inches in the few hours I was up there...

1480579_586608614749443_2052749591_n.jpg

1527066_586609801415991_106454497_n.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yeah, that' exactly what it was like the whole time once you got back to the treeline back behind the the warming hut.

A war zone is a GREAT description. No kidding.
We saw 30 sleds (groups of 4-6 all over the place with the ski tips up) on the divide between Dinah and Elsina.

When we dropped down onto Elsina from the ledges or terraces and there were about 25 sleds right there at the first pond there up against the hill. When we went through to Elsina, it was a freakin MESS.

Do you know who had the Chris Burant trailers at the heliport. I've GOT to stick my head in one of those one time. Those are GREAT looking trailers. WOW!!!

ehezajan.jpg

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Bacon I'd be more than happy to show you around this weekend, I heard you were heading west. Seeley is similar tree riding as Cooke, just more area and not as many big pulls. Honestly it is my favorite area around.

Scott, the burandt trailer behind the black dmax is my buddies, next time you see it stop in. They truly are the nicest, most well thought out and toughest trailer built. Everything in te trailer is located perfect and very well thought out

CarbonWerx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2010
Missoula, MT
Do you know who had the Chris Burant trailers at the heliport. I've GOT to stick my head in one of those one time. Those are GREAT looking trailers. WOW!!!

They have been there the last couple weekends. Guessing they will be back as seeley has the best snow around right now. They may be part of the Thunderstruck team as we ran into those guys on Sunday also. Nice guys.. The best part about that trailer is the sleds that came out of it. Some pretty wicked looking cats and pros..

Premium Features