• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seeley Lake 13/14

CarbonWerx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2010
Missoula, MT
Sorry bout that carl. I was typing as you were answering the question.. Thats what i get for leaving it on the screen for an hour without hitting send!!!

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Ha no problem! I will post pictures if the ride tomorrow! Looks like just two of us are going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
few pics from our ride on sunday…pretty good i'd say :face-icon-small-win Also would just like to point out that our riding group from SD was pleasently surprised with how nice everyone in the Seeley Lake riding area was to us while we were there. Every group stopped if they saw anyone in our group stuck and would always ask if we needed another pair of hands. Thanks for being such great locals! Most local folks in other riding areas don't do that. We will definitely be back again to ride this area!

Last edited:
C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Had a good ride today. The wind really blew last night, it covered all the tracks up but it also made the snow really dense and heavy. Rode elsina and Dinah all day and didn't see anyone else. Probably 2 1/2 ft or a bit more of powder. Sorry no pics today

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Wow. Did you probe down at all?

Do you think wind covered the tracks up, or did 2 MORE feet of snow fall?

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
No the wind covered them all. There was maybe 6" of fresh on top of the wind blown stuff. It was still a really fun day, just dense tough snow. We didn't probe but judging by some trees and stuff I recognize I would bet there is around 7 ft around the ledges. Also I highly advise not taking the "avalanche" rd behind the warming hut. The wind has really corniced that slope bad

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yeah, it looked pretty loaded up on Sunday. AND I saw tracks on that above the road.
Some people are just plain stupid.

That hill slides EVERY year. I've been across there and WATCHED it slide behind us back in the late 80s or early 90s.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Yep. It would be nice if we could figure out a way to close that road or at least direct people below into the trees. Or have a warning sign or something at the warming hut

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Got a couple pics. Nothing too cool
zehusana.jpg

natyrase.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Looks like a killer day of riding!

Did the hill between the warming hut and Elsina slide much before it burned? I never really rode the West side until last year...

The road? Yeah. It has slid every year to some degree that i know of since the 80s.
Don't remember when it burned, but it hasn't been too long.

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Looks like a killer day of riding!

Did the hill between the warming hut and Elsina slide much before it burned? I never really rode the West side until last year...

Are you talking about the one along the road on the way in that has the cornice along the top? Cool looking but sketchy looking as well.

M

MT BoonDockerBoy

Dec 23, 2012
Seeley Lake, MT
www.calebkesterke.com
Are you talking about the one along the road on the way in that has the cornice along the top? Cool looking but sketchy looking as well.

Yeah, that's the hill. Different times of the year or after storms it will be worse or better. This year is the worst I've seen it and it is not all that practical of a route now. We rode it coming out of Dinah Christmas day and the road was completely drifted in for at least a 1/4 mile. Yesterday I noticed there's a new sign up warning that it's an avalanche area. Funny how people view a slope different in different places. The guys in Revy who are riding stuff like that hill are the ones "playing it safe" and here you get called stupid...

schumacherfarms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2008
Hey 3 of us are thinking bout heading that way tomorrow and riding Friday and Saturday. Just checking in to see if anyone would be intested in showing us around. We typically ride cooke city and island park and are just looking for a different place to ride for once. snow looks great out there.

T

Tony skagen

Dec 17, 2010
Im also thinking of heading that direction next week, trying to find an affordable cabin for 5 adults wed-sat. Any input would be appericiated like the best areas to ride for boondocking,climbing ect.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Park at the heli pad parking lot about off Boy Scout rd about 5 miles north of town. Find your way to the warming hut by looking at the maps in the parking lot and junctions. When you get to the hut, go to the top of the burned hill to the sw of the hut and follow that to the nw. You will see the shelves and start to the good boondocking there. Have fun!

M

MT BoonDockerBoy

Dec 23, 2012
Seeley Lake, MT
www.calebkesterke.com
Park at the heli pad parking lot about off Boy Scout rd about 5 miles north of town. Find your way to the warming hut by looking at the maps in the parking lot and junctions. When you get to the hut, go to the top of the burned hill to the sw of the hut and follow that to the nw. You will see the shelves and start to the good boondocking there. Have fun!

^What he said if you want great boondocking and tree riding. I would say that's the most popular riding also.

If your looking for bowls you want to head into the North Fork Bowls area. Not sure how many are up there but several spots that you can open a mod sled up.
315jvxk.jpg

The biggest riding in the valley is Pyramid mountain/bowls. Basically everything in the picture is rideable.
dy23oh.jpg

Largest chutes are in Findel which is a few miles North of Pyramid.
2uf9dn4.jpg

And the best overall bowl (imo) is Morrell Bowl.
1y1wz5.jpg

All of these last three are on the East side, and have almost no one riding them. Findel and Pyramid have snow comparable to the Warming Hut area and Morrell is just as good as the best on the West side. I rode Morrell into June last season... The biggest draw back is that you can only ride one area and then you have to drop down to the valley floor and climb into the next.

With this heavy fresh snow I would be careful or just plain avoid the large slopes. I broke several small slabs off yesterday.

Premium Features