• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

School update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
i live in swastika, ont. canada
I attended two yrs of university directly out of high school. I think that it's essential as a late-teen to get out on your own and make life decisions for yourself all the while knowing that your parents are still there for you, should you need them, like a safety net. After two yrs, I realized university wasn't for me, and I was greatful that my parents stood behind my decision. They had saved up enough money to help me pay for up to five yrs of university, had I needed it, so all I had to worry about was getting good grades. Still, when I explained that I wanted to work with my hands, they didn't try to change my mind and I took a yr long course in heavy duty equipment mechanics. Though it wasn't the career they had hoped for me, they stood by my side, after ten plus yrs I find myself back in school due to a work injury, now as a welding engineering technologist. You never stop learning, and I'm finding it enjoyable to learn knew things. Managed to get a 4.0 last yr, and am keeping it up so far this yr. I'm hoping to get a job as a teacher at my local college when my program is over, wanting to make a difference in some folk's lives, impart some knowledge, help the next generation. I can tell you personally that I won't make anywhere near the money I used to in the mining industry, but equating money with satisfaction is something I learned to be false a long time ago. Teachers play an important role in today's society, but imagine coming to your job everyday and having to deal with kids who'd rather text and play on their cellphones, than listen and learn. Worse yet are the ones who disrupt the other students who may be trying to learn. All teachers start out with the best of intentions, but it must be hard not to get jaded when faced with these kids yr after yr after yr. I'm hoping by teaching college students, that most of them will actually want to be there and want to learn. Just my two cents!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Ignoring the salary piece for a bit, did anyone else notice that almost 55% of the students at that school qualify for reduced/free lunch? Ouch. What does it take to qualify for that these days anyway?

In Montana, if your total household income is somewhere around $45k, you qualify for reduced.

That 55% of free and reduced is a HUGE tell-tale reason why student scores could be low. Low scores and low income are VERY closely related. I don't have any data to show you right now, but trust me, I have seen that data.

Where did I say they doubled? and all those notes are conclusions based on the information given.

You are right. You didn't. It's so very obvious that you didn't read the document that I linked. If you had, then you'd know what I'm talking about.

Start at the table of contents and figure it out from there.

Don't talk about salaries and teacher benefits anymore until you've read that. Those handwritten notes on your papers don't hold any water.

They are sorta like a Crayola dyno graph.

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
here he comes, here he comes,,,!...!.........

Ol Dirstick (snowmobilsrme) needs an *** beating by his father is what he needs!

Did I say ***, oops forgot he's gay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!............ heeeerrreee comes Newmy again with another unintelligent post!.......

hey tog when are you going to give some of your intelligent insight?

oh and just to clarify, rock dog I understand how and why teachers get frustrated with jackass students that are disrespectful.

use your harsh words on those kids. but for a teacher as yourself to tell a soon to be young man, that he's worthless just for asking questions, kinda makes you look bad as a teacher. especially when u do it online. after being instigated to do so. While at the same time boasting about how all you want is to help kids.

am I so wrong to call that out?

You know what's interesting though? so many people so many personalities so many different minds. Very interesting the interactions between people in real life and online.

See I don't give a **** what I say and ill say whatever I want. I like to, and I expect all the different responses. I knew 100% that for me, stickin up for the low man on the totem pole, someone was going to give their insight on how ( somehow) IM the bad guy snot nosed brat. it's entertaining though, and it tells me alot about people the more I write and the more they respond. what they believe in, how they think and see things, whether they live more on the positive or negative sides of life, who's got the bandwagon mentality, and how many people hate on others whether they disagree with them or are just jealous, or just don't know, but talk and respond as if they do and are 100% sure of it.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Why do I keep reading these threads?

Minten here is my advice ( I think I'm fairly smart, but smart enough to know how dumb I am). Very rarely is it the teachers affecting you poorly, if you want to learn you will learn from most anyone. Education is weird in that you get what you want from it and what you put it.

and that last bit is why I still haven't gone back for my bachelors, I know what I would put into it and what I would actually get from it, so I choose to save my time and money.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Why do I keep reading these threads?

Minten here is my advice ( I think I'm fairly smart, but smart enough to know how dumb I am). Very rarely is it the teachers affecting you poorly, if you want to learn you will learn from most anyone. LIFE is weird in that you only get out of it what you put into it.

and that last bit is why I still haven't gone back for my bachelors, I know what I would put into it and what I would actually get from it, so I choose to save my time and money.

SO VERY TRUE.....and I fixed it for ya. LOL.

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!............ heeeerrreee comes Newmy again with another unintelligent post!.......

oh and just to clarify, rock dog I understand how and why teachers get frustrated with jackass students that are disrespectful.

use your harsh words on those kids. but for a teacher as yourself to tell a soon to be young man, that he's worthless just for asking questions, kinda makes you look bad as a teacher. especially when u do it online. after being instigated to do so. While at the same time boasting about how all you want is to help kids.

You know what's interesting though? so many people so many personalities so many different minds. Very interesting the interactions between people in real life and online.

See I don't give a **** what I say and ill say whatever I want. I like to, and I expect all the different responses. I knew 100% that for me, stickin up for the low man on the totem pole, someone was going to give their insight on how ( somehow) IM the bad guy snot nosed brat. it's entertaining though, and it tells me alot about people the more I write and the more they respond. what they believe in, how they think and see things, whether they live more on the positive or negative sides of life, who's got the bandwagon mentality, and how many people hate on others whether they disagree with them or are just jealous, or just don't know, but talk and respond as if they do and are 100% sure of it.

Saying I can't wait to hear Doggers response is instigating? No it's waiting to hear the response of a veteran teacher. I also enjoy Scotts response as well.

1307833473093_1187423.png

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
What is considered to be overpaid? Everyone has their own opinion on what it is. IMO teachers are definitely not overpaid, I have more teachers in my family than I count and none of them live lavish rock-star lifestyles as the word overpaid brings to my mind. I think doggers pointed out a great point that people with same level of education and a different degree make a lot more money than teachers. http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp look at this link notice education is way down at the bottom? I think before people should go attacking teachers they should have to do there job for awhile and see how "easy" it is. My bet is most wouldn't last, I know I sure as hell wouldn't!

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
Saying I can't wait to hear Doggers response is instigating? No it's waiting to hear the response of a veteran teacher. I also enjoy Scotts response as well.

noooo..... when you say, " I can't wait to hear doggers response" it's like "oh well he's gonna say something, let's see what he says."

then doggers comes on, reads what you wrote, put a little fire in it, got a little carried away, and started talkin to someone as if they were one of the kids in his class that he just can't stand.

but it's not. it's Minten. a rare Asian snowmobiler that has no problem hangin with the big boys. at least he spends his time on here and not out doin some of the **** them other 15 yr olds are doing these days...

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY

Way to go doggers! I don't think I've ever seen anyone this butt hurt over one post LMAO!

Minten

Lifetime Membership
Nov 6, 2010
Bozeman, Montana
TOPIC CHANGE.

While we are talking about overpaid we should talk about the government workers too right? Seeing teachers are government workers though. But also what corruption do you see in all of the government together?

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
Way to go doggers! I don't think I've ever seen anyone this butt hurt over one post LMAO!

Lol butthurt? who said I was butthurt? When you quoted me did you read the part where I said this is all entertaining? and then I just give my random thoughts here and there. some may pick up on it some may not.

now go look at doggers first response to Minten. now THAT seems like someone is butthurt. by a 15 year old. online. over a couple questions.

when I decide to chime in I just wanted to make it appearant one's odd reaction to a 15 year old's post. simple thoughts would allow you to catch on to that.

I just tell things how they are, cause sometimes it's hard for people to see details. it's common sense really.... anything I've posted.... for some reason it's so difficult for a select few of you to understand....

but common sense doesn't seem too common these days....

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
noooo..... when you say, " I can't wait to hear doggers response" it's like "oh well he's gonna say something, let's see what he says."

then doggers comes on, reads what you wrote, put a little fire in it, got a little carried away, and started talkin to someone as if they were one of the kids in his class that he just can't stand.

but it's not. it's Minten. a rare Asian snowmobiler that has no problem hangin with the big boys. at least he spends his time on here and not out doin some of the **** them other 15 yr olds are doing these days...

Why do you have to bring race in to this issue???? Are you a racist??:face-icon-small-ton

I think you owe the Asian snowmoble community an apology.

Last edited:
S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
Why do you have to bring race in to this issue???? Are you a racist??:face-icon-small-ton

ha no just pointing out the simple fact that he is Asian, and I've seen 2 Asian snowmobilers. statistically, and from first hand experience, Asians on a snowmobile is a rare sight. so it's cool.

I've only seen one black guy on a snowmobile in my life though....

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
Lol butthurt? who said I was butthurt? When you quoted me did you read the part where I said this is all entertaining? and then I just give my random thoughts here and there. some may pick up on it some may not.

I actually didn't read your whole post, the spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes make them pretty hard to follow sometimes.

now go look at doggers first response to Minten. now THAT seems like someone is butthurt. by a 15 year old. online. over a couple questions.

I've read it, I don't see how doggers was butt hurt about anything. Seem like he was more annoyed that a 15 year old punk kid (no offense miten) was in a way insulting his career.
when I decide to chime in I just wanted to make it appearant one's odd reaction to a 15 year old's post. simple thoughts would allow you to catch on to that.

Maybe I was raised different but my parents did what doggers did to miten all the time, its called tough love/advice. You seem to be much more concerned about this than miten even does for some reason.

I just tell things how they are, cause sometimes it's hard for people to see details. it's common sense really.... anything I've posted.... for some reason it's so difficult for a select few of you to understand....
You really didn't tell it how it was, you talked sh** and insulted doggers and his profession. Maybe have some respect, just cause you did sh**ty in school you don't need to try and make up for it by being an a**hole.

but common sense doesn't seem too common these days....

WOW :face-icon-small-dis

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
I forgot to add what I liked in school, definitely chemistry! Took regular and AP chem loved them both the teacher made them some of the most enjoyable classes in high school and I still learned a lot! Chem wasn't nearly as good in college, my teacher was arrogant and kind of ruined the class.

M
Nov 13, 2010
Hoorey fur edumacation!

I'm all for school, I graduated college- I'm not currently using my degree in my job- but I don't regret it for a second. It was the best 7 years of my life (actually 4).

My only problem with teachers-- How damn hard it is to fire a horrible one! I had so many good teachers and I think they deserve a good salary. I also had some lousy ones (not just by my standards) and it is so difficult to remove a bad teacher. It ended up in court and was a mess.

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa

how can u say that I didn't call it what it was, he insulted a 15 yr olds way of life and he's a teacher. Minten was t insulting his career at all, He was just trying to make sense of something. asking questions.

and no I'm not concerned at all. I just wanted to harrass doggers a little. just returning a favor. but in this situation, there was a more legit reason to the harrassing....

so now it's to where I'm talkin about how one person says something and it's condoned then another person says something else and it's an abomination?? come on now....

and I've already stated that I have mad respect for some teachers. not all, but some. and I appreciate most. i dislike a few, yes. but doesn't everybody?

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
While we are talking about overpaid we should talk about the government workers too right? Seeing teachers are government workers though. But also what corruption do you see in all of the government together?

Teachers are not govt. workers. They are employees of the local school district, just because said school is funded by taxpayer dollars and mill levys does not make them govt. workers. Private school teachers are private employees of that school.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Seems to be a "Pocket Gopher" popping his head up all over in Minten's field (thread) here making a mess as usual.

:target: :target: :target:

:target: :target:

:target:

Isn't the travel industry supposed to be busy this time of year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features