• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

School update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minten

Lifetime Membership
Nov 6, 2010
Bozeman, Montana
Well, it's past semester. It has been different. Still what I mostly expected. Nothing too interesting is going on right now. Not doing winter sports saving that for snowmobiling. Decided to wait on drivers Ed. until Spring. Grades aren't bad. Everything is B and higher with 4 A's.

I do have a few questions for you guys though.

What was one thing about high school you didn't like (School work only)?
For myself I think studying vocabulary is the one thing I don't like...

And, do you feel like teachers are overpaid? We got our budget thing and after crunching some number I found out, on average, teachers at Auburn High School make 44k a semester. A SEMESTER. So That's 89k annual which is only working for 11 months of the year. On top of that they have 30 days of paid leave. They also are paid on average $5 an hour for any extra curricular groups (Sports or clubs) that they teach or supervise. 94 teachers at my school at 85k. That's a LOT of money just on salaries alone.

I got off subject by a ton. Just stating my side ahead of time.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Depends on how long they have been teaching. That kind of money for a seasoned veteran with a university degree in ANY profession is not the slightest bit out of line. And keep in mind, all these teachers are responsible
in a large part for the fate of future generations. Education IS a big deal. Don't kid yourself. Good thread, mitten. I'm actually looking forward to the replies it gets....

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Loved my school years. If I have any regrets it was that I didn't work harder. At t that tome I was satisfied with academic mediocrity. Teachers not overpaid as they shape the future leaders of our community which should draw the very best and brightest which is difficult with their current pay scale.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Good thread

At 35 years old and looking back on my high school years the one thing I would definitely change and will instill in my children is the amount of importance that is put on going to college. It was absolutely drilled into my skull that college was the ONLY option after high school. I completely disagree with this philosophy. I went to college right after high school, basically to play hockey. I could have done this in the Junior leagues. I floated through the academic portion not really knowing what the hell I wanted to do, wasting time and money. It wasn't until I gained some life experience in the "real world" that I started to get some direction. I see a huge number of college kids now that go through the same thing. I would encourage more vocational programs or military service for future generations. Are there a large number of kids out there that college is right for? Definitely! I just don't think it is for everyone. I see nothing wrong with getting a job right after high school and trying to earn a living in the world. Nothing is better for finding out what you don't want to do...
On the teaching topic. I am marrying a teacher this year, so I am a little biased. I don't think that they are overpaid one bit. When you think about the massive responsibility they have for shaping our future generations, I think some are underpaid. Like anything though, there are exceptions. I have seen numerous teachers who are there just to collect a paycheck and do the bare minimum. Maybe a more thorough evaluation process is needed in some cases. I do know this. Enjoy your high school years! You will make a ton of mistakes, but I like to call those "character builders". Things you do now will have an impact on the rest of your life, so try to make the most of it.

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
I can't wait till Doggers responds to this.

profitis-not-a-dirty-word-75646160.jpg

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
Minten, just by the way you write you can tell you have a good head on your shoulders. Hopefully school is pretty easy for you.

As for teachers my daughter teaches high school at Gig Harbor and lives in Maple Valley. She has her masters and is now board certified. Being board certified gives her a $5000 a year raise if Gov Gregoire doesn't take it away. Her and her husband make around $100,000 a year combined (husband is a junior high teacher). I don't feel this is being overpaid.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Well, it's past semester. It has been different. Still what I mostly expected. Nothing too interesting is going on right now. Not doing winter sports saving that for snowmobiling. Decided to wait on drivers Ed. until Spring. Grades aren't bad. Everything is B and higher with 4 A's.

I do have a few questions for you guys though.

What was one thing about high school you didn't like (School work only)?
For myself I think studying vocabulary is the one thing I don't like...

And, do you feel like teachers are overpaid? We got our budget thing and after crunching some number I found out, on average, teachers at Auburn High School make 44k a semester. A SEMESTER. So That's 89k annual which is only working for 11 months of the year. On top of that they have 30 days of paid leave. They also are paid on average $5 an hour for any extra curricular groups (Sports or clubs) that they teach or supervise. 94 teachers at my school at 85k. That's a LOT of money just on salaries alone.

I got off subject by a ton. Just stating my side ahead of time.

Prove it. I could be wrong...but I HIGHLY doubt it. Go to your school district clerk and ask her for a copy of the collective bargaining agreement. It's public. Look up the salary matrix and also look up fringe benefits and leave time. Our teachers get 5 paid leave days per school year. I HIGHLY doubt anyone gets 30.

Are you including summer days off? If so, that's MUCH different and you don't count that as "paid leave".

Make sure you know just exactly what it is that you are talking about.

If you didn't start school until September, how can your semester be over already? Semesters don't end here until late Jan.

BTW, as for coaching...that's an extra duty contract outside of the teacher's contract. The pay for that is usually ALSO the result of a collective agreement.
$5 an hour for coaching is balls-cheap pay. I put in 50 hours a week during my coaching season (on top of my full time work week hours outside of coaching)...I was paid about $2 an hour. That doesn't include everything outside of season, like camps, open gym, weight lifting...and on and on.

Last edited:
R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001
Well that took me 4 minutes to find out that, Minten, you are full of CRAP. You don't know what you are talking about.

Bone up on your facts before you share them.

The info you seek (before you open your naive and ignorant mouth next time) is right here.
http://www.auburn.wednet.edu/HumanRes/NegotiatedAgreements/AEANegAgrmnt2009_11.pdf

Easy on Minten there super-mod...remember, he's the idiot we like around here...he's not that other idiot...

I realize his ridiculous post hits home for you though, so I'll tolerate it this time. Watch out though, I got my eye on you. :fencing:

Minten

Lifetime Membership
Nov 6, 2010
Bozeman, Montana

Minten

Lifetime Membership
Nov 6, 2010
Bozeman, Montana
Minten, just by the way you write you can tell you have a good head on your shoulders. Hopefully school is pretty easy for you.

As for teachers my daughter teaches high school at Gig Harbor and lives in Maple Valley. She has her masters and is now board certified. Being board certified gives her a $5000 a year raise if Gov Gregoire doesn't take it away. Her and her husband make around $100,000 a year combined (husband is a junior high teacher). I don't feel this is being overpaid.

But as you stated, They work for a different district.

Depends on how long they have been teaching. That kind of money for a seasoned veteran with a university degree in ANY profession is not the slightest bit out of line. And keep in mind, all these teachers are responsible
in a large part for the fate of future generations. Education IS a big deal. Don't kid yourself. Good thread, mitten. I'm actually looking forward to the replies it gets....

That's true. I'm bringing up the paper we received on Friday. Education is a big deal, that's obvious. What I'm trying to say is that some of these teachers don't do **** and we still end up paying them a large amount of money. I do have to say though many teachers do a GREAT job at what they do. Just not all of them are meeting my standards.

WTF!!?? Are you fricking drunk??? He can't write, can't spell and tells more BS stories than Obama and Clinton at a whore house.

I'm Korean, that's my excuse for not having good English skills, spelling? What's wrong with MY spelling? There are many others that need help than I. And BS? Which stories are BS? I may be joking around some times but I don't BS... A lot.... :D

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
Minten, Minten, Minten.(big sigh). Obviously your teachers are overpaid.You are testimony to that fact everytime you make a post. I've been a teacher for 13 years now(before that I worked for a general contractor for almost 20 years) I work harder being a teacher than I ever did on a job site and I assure you, I busted my a$$ on job sites. 5 years of college(two majors) and I and every teacher I know deserve every cent of the small salaries we get and more. We dedicated our lives to educating and helping all kids, even the pretentious know -it-all little brats like you that have never worked a real day in their lives. I'm curious why you think we are overpaid? Anyone else with my level of education would make a lot more than I do. One day Minten, you may amount to something. I hope you do but you're a really, really, really long way from it. If you do however, I hope you use your big mouth (and the first rate education you are probably getting) to thank some of the people that helped you get there(probably a whole group of different teachers that put up with you) because you didn't do it on your own.

Now Minten, put down the keyboard and go stand in the corner.

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
I am related to a few high/grade school teachers and I am pretty sure they don't make any where near the money being talked about by minpin. Usually after they get a masters and 10 years in they make decent money, but still not $80-90k . Most aren't in it for the money, they are in it because they love what they do and try make a difference. This is why I would not be a good teacher. I will try a couple times to explain something, if you can't get it by then you are on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features