• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

school me on belts

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
What I have noticed is the Dayco doesn't engage as smooth as the OEM belt, it is a bit different. And I only noticed this on a stock sled.

With my M1000T I can't tell any difference. Other than my pocket book has a bit more money in it to buy race fuel. The stock belt prices are way out of line, the $120 or so for the dayco, with a one year guarantee and a $15 dollar replacement it pretty darn hard to beat.

One other thing, make sure you have a few extra shims, like anything when switching belts you will need to check your deflection and make some minor adjustments. I think I had to add or remove a .030 shim when going from the OEM to the Dayco belt.

I have about 500+ boosted miles on my current belt and it looks good as new.

Thunder

I know nothing about shims or honestly how to achieve proper belt deflection. It engages around 4000 RPM and that's about as far as I have ever gotten with clutches on sleds.. :face-icon-small-con

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I know nothing about shims or honestly how to achieve proper belt deflection. It engages around 4000 RPM and that's about as far as I have ever gotten with clutches on sleds.. :face-icon-small-con

You adjust deflection on the secondary, using the washers that are behind the aluminum plug that the bolt sits on.

I adjust my sleds so they're ALMOST squealing... takes a few minutes, but engagement is better, and belt life is better. As the belt wears, just adjust it to match... once you feel engagement changing, that's a clue that you're off again.

deflection WILL be slightly different on a dayco or carlisle than a stock belt, but it will also be different going from a used stock belt to a new one... it's not a big deal, it's something you should be adjusting as the belt wears.

The idea of giving cat my $$ for belts is ridiculous imo... I buy belts with a warranty, so when they blow, I've got a new one coming to me for next to nothing. IF you know how to set up a belt, the difference is nonexistent in most circumstances.

IF you've got a sled that doesn't blow belts... or you ride like a sally nancy schoolgirl:face-icon-small-sho & get 1000 miles from a belt... then who cares what kind you use, they're not a big cost for you. If you go through them in 200-400 miles like most guys I know though... that SH** adds up!:D

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
BCIL,

Are you running the Carlisle or Dayco?

yeah... ONE of them!. On some sleds I like the xs817... the stickier compound. The 1000 IMO does better with the 060 or 817 (for my taste) but for turbos or for other folks' tastes, the dayco which is more like the 046 type compound may be better. Either brand is cheaper, and has a warranty... so hard to bitch too much about them.

If you can swing it, and don't mind the time experimenting, try both (keep in mind, the 817/ 060 types will require less weight, so it's not just swapping belts to go from one to the other) and decide which one you prefer.

I loved the 817 on my 1000, but on my turbo it slows down boost something fierce... makes the sled run like crap, no matter what I do as far as weights go.

Like anything else... you don't know what YOU like until you try a few things. All of us over-opinionated bastirds can tell you what WE like... but that don't mean squat in real life :D :face-icon-small-blu

Last edited:

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
So,, BCIL what gear ratio did you like in your 1000? Mine has the SLP pipe set, that's it for performance and the stock challenger track if it matters.. If I keep it I am going to upgrade to the 2.6 claw.. Sorry off topic a little just taking advantage of having you cornered..... It has 60/60 gers at the moment and as fr as I can tell pretty much stock clutching.. And I hate how stiff the secondary spring is so probably will get a secondary clutch kit of some kind...

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
So,, BCIL what gear ratio did you like in your 1000? Mine has the SLP pipe set, that's it for performance and the stock challenger track if it matters.. If I keep it I am going to upgrade to the 2.6 claw.. Sorry off topic a little just taking advantage of having you cornered..... It has 60/60 gers at the moment and as fr as I can tell pretty much stock clutching.. And I hate how stiff the secondary spring is so probably will get a secondary clutch kit of some kind...

1000 is long gone, but I ran 60/60, then stepped to 55/65 & it fell on it's dam face. killed it off the line, but useless on the bigger climbs. Fun for doing things like tail turns on a smaller hill (IE, go up 40 feet or less, back off throttle, hammer it, stand up & flip the sled over) but if you went over say 100+ feet you started losing track speed.

Doing it over again I'd go with 60/60, or 57/63... 55 was too low. I've started running the BDX adjustable helix on my sec so that I can adjust the tension more like a torsional setup, this might be a way to go for you.

Last edited:

Volvokvaloya

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2008
Northern Norway
Pretty new into Cats,but when i got my sled I got two 046 belts (one on the clutches),one 036 and one 060 belt.
What is the best to use and what is the difference between them?

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
Guys, one of the mishaps I had this weekend was blowing a belt about 4 miles in. I understand it happens but this belt wasnt very old at all and it was a factory Arctic cat belt.

Looking for a new belt and a spare. I see the factory belts are around $70-$80. I see a Dayco HPX belt for around $50 with free shippingthat seems good but I dont have any experience with them..

This could be like the oil brand war I could see but just need some recomendations. If everyone says stay with the factory belt, then I will.

Thanks,
Kyle
I have been running an ULTIMAX XS 801 in my 06 crossfire 700. I am runnin a 1.75 backcountry and all kinds of mods. Freefloated secondary with track creepin at idle, FORMULA X-1 secondary kit and cutler adj weights and primary spring. 700 miles and belt is perfect. No hardpack miles, all deep snow riding HARD! I have been running ultimax PROs in my 03.5 firecat 600 and have only lost one to snow leakin in. $9 shipping for a new belt!

Premium Features