• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rotary Engine Weight Comparison - Need Engine Weights

fantom

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Does anybody have the engine weights including intake system, carbs, throttle bodies, fuel pump, exhaust system, starter, battery, and any of the other heavy stuff required to run the engine for an Apex, M1000, Dragon 800, XP800, Nitro, 1000 Cat four stroke, Polaris FST, and watercraft triple? I just need the engine weights and not the sled weights as the sleds will also be custom.

How much weight are the turbos adding including the oil system, intercooler, and intake, exhaust, oil plumbing? I am building up another custom 300-400 HP single rotary (650cc) turbo project engine and want to be sure I am in the ballpark for weights in a snowmobile application. Dyno testing and decision to look at the engine for a snowmo market will be soon.

Last I heard the watercraft engine was 135# without pipes.
The 800 Polaris was 82# without pipes.
The 900 Cat twin is 100# without pipes.
The all aluminum charge cooled 1300 turbo rotary was 180# including starter, exhaust, turbo, intercooler, plumbing.
The new rotary right now has 60# of extra weight due to cast iron parts, but expensive aluminum are available.

Does anyone have any different or additional weights?

Additional rotary engine work is in development for other markets.

Thanks

fantom

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
I am pretty sure the 800 pol is 96lbs complete and the 1200 wc is 115lbs complete. I have an apex motor on the bench, will get some weights soon.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
that sounds pretty dang close to the weight of a rx1/apex motor. they are NOT light. turbo is like 13-14 pounds, header is 5-10 depeding on size/ materials/ charge tubes like airbox and intercooler comes to another 10 or so. the weight of all the stuff you added to the motor in the first one makes it right on par with the the old minus all the crap.

it might be a tad heavy, but the power is COOL. i know of the 2 stroke twins i have taken out, i can move most around by myslef pretty easy, the rx1 motor with clutch and all is a tad much, its got to be 30-40 pounds more then most 2stroke twins.

sorry these are all vauge, but your numbers seem VERY reasonable.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
I don’t know if this is valid or just another of my dumb a$$ ideas. The biggest influence on the way a sled is going to handle is the rotating mass in the engine and how big of a circle it makes. The gyro effect has got to impact the handling. Look at a 4 banger Yammy spinning at 10,200 To me it feels like a tank (ya I know some will disagree with this)
Look at the deference between a M-8 and a M-1000 not much of a weight difference but the 1000 feels noticeably heaver. Engineers building sled engines are always tiring to lighten the rotating mass, more so than any other industry. Typically a heavier engine is going to be spinning more weight inside.

I can’t see the rotating mass in a rotary engine weighing that much

I like the 700-800cc two stoke class any thing bigger feel way heaver does not seem to flick as fast.

Last edited:

fantom

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Rotating mass of a rotary engine

The rotary has an eccentric shaft (crankshaft) that is 10+ lbs, a rotor that is 8-10 lbs and 2 counterweights to keep things in balance that weight 3-6 lbs each. Now add a starter gear, as trying to start a rotary with a rope is near impossible. Some weight can be saved by incorporating the mag flywheel with the front counterweight but the diameter of the rotor housing dictates a very large ring gear. So adding it up means 32lbs of rotating mass for a single rotor engine. A twin rotor engine would be about 52 lbs as the second rotor helps with the counterbalance. Now add rpm and the "weight" gets very large.

Another misconception is that rotary engines need to turn a lot of rpm to make power. It is the exhaust noise that makes them sound like they are turning a lot of rpm but a good turbo 1300cc rotary can make 500HP under 8000rpm and still have enough torque to break snowmobile drivetrains.

Keep the engine weights coming. I will post a table of all the weights after they are compiled..

Thanks

fantom

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
for the mocing weight idea. usually for every lb of moving mass or something that spins, it will feel like 7lbs of dead weight. i could be wrong but thats wat i thought it was.

Also where can a guy look into purchasing a rotary engine? who manufactures them? I think the apex would be a good candidate for big hp turbo rotary.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The 2003 VES 800 big block Pol engine that is in the mail to me right now has 68lbs listed on the tracking web page as I look at it this second.

It's JUST the engine block ready for the bolt-ons that without less recoil, carbs, pipes.

soul!

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
vancouver island
skidoo 800 r engine
2008 -2011
complete with y pipe 77 pounds
72 pounds with carbs off
as weighed on racing scales

Premium Features