• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding technique: how is the handbrake being used

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
Can someone clarify to me how is the handbrake being used for the riding technique? I remember Burandt mentioned in one of his videos that he uses the brake lever a lot, but why and what for? Of course I do not mean braking going downhill, I feel there are other uses however I was not able to figure this out myself

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I'm pretty new but, it seems to help setup for turns. Also on sidehills when my front wants to climb i sometimes tap the brake to help keep the front from wanting to go uphill.

I need to get one of those heated levers. I ride with my finger over it at all times ( like the clutch on my moto's ). my finger is always frozen!

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
I thought I am a decent rider, I ride in trees on steep slopes and I can sidehill as well, but clearly I am not as good as I thought because I never used handbrake before :))))

estaked

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
I am the same way rarely use it, other than initiating a turn back uphill from going down hill helps me get the sled on edge. For the most part I use it as an oh **** handle.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Same here. I even duct tape my throttle all the way to the handlebar...

Seriously, the brake obviously slows the sled for consistency and control. Also to bring the front end down, as stated earlier. All throttle will get you up and over the tree, a bit of brake will get you down and under the tree. Very helpful sometimes.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
If u get in a tight spot where u need to turn or lay sled iver sharply.... Do a brakestand. While holding the brake rev up throttle. Once its revved up just let go of brake for a fraction of a second and then reapply. Youll find u can turn/layover the sled or get an edge set without hardly moving the sled at all.

From there u just work it into your dangling. U almost get to the point where u always got throttle hammered but use the brake for speed\angle adjustments instead of getting outta the throttle.

Once u learn how to "ride the brake" youll become so much more capable. Essentially, u can get in and out of the throttle that much quicker. Almost like a good clutching and gearing setup. Put the two together an then youll really be cooking with gas!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Your brake level is just as important as your throttle!!! It's a marriage and once you get use to using the brake and throttle with each other, your riding will improve!!

One analogy is to think of the brake level like a clutch. When you take go to take off, hold the brake, increase throttle and "feel" for all the slack in the drive train to come out and release the brake and continue to increase the throttle. Same with getting up and on top of deep snow, only much quicker.

When side hilling or tree riding the brake will assist with keeping overall momentum up, without coming completely out of the throttle. If the sled feels like it's getting ahead of you, burn a little brake. If you feel like "you" are getting behind the sled, add some throttle.

Running with a finger on the throttle and learning to use it will increase your riding capabilities. The old school of thought was "when it doubt, throttle out" but really it is "when in doubt, finesse it out" and you need the brake to do that!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Turbo guys will do this all the time to keep their boost up.

Finger the break, get into the throttle a bit, build the boost up (or as the nitrous guys say, "FOG THE BOX") and then let go of the brake.

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
I love to sidehill, boondock and play in the deep powder, but I never use my break unless coming to a stop. If I let off the throttle the sled instantly comes to a crawl. In my experience, using the break only throws off the balance. instead of using the break in a sidehill to gain balance, try adjusting your countersteer.

and for a new rider, trying to find the balance between brake and throttle will only burn up expensive belts.

am i missing something?

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
I love to sidehill, boondock and play in the deep powder, but I never use my break unless coming to a stop. If I let off the throttle the sled instantly comes to a crawl. In my experience, using the break only throws off the balance. instead of using the break in a sidehill to gain balance, try adjusting your countersteer.

and for a new rider, trying to find the balance between brake and throttle will only burn up expensive belts.

am i missing something?

Yes, and no. This year I started working the brake more on a sidehill than I have before, and the results are very pleasing. The new style chassis that are out require a different technique of riding. Before, yes letting off the gas could get you the same effect. But on any new sled the brake, as stated before, helps set the track in, keeps an edge better, keeps the rider in control while traversing a sidehill, and allows the person to see what is coming and where they are going. Takes some practice and getting use to at first. And yes, it can be hard on belts, but so is holding it to the bar on the trail ride back in.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I feel that to be in Control in a sidehill the track needs to slip some compared to your actual speed. Either the track needs to spin a bit faster or a bit slower than the sled is actually moving. So I tend to constantly shift between throttle and brake when in the trees to be able to keep the speed down and stay in control.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
I love how you compare brake to the clutch. When riding my dirtbike I always keep one finger on the clutch to help me in tight situations in the wood!

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
i use my brake to control my sled a lots too, i'm still a newbie so I'll see what stays and what goes with experience

if you just pin it...i think you leave lots of riding possibilities on the table.
but hey i'm not cool as these guys i guess :eyebrows:

Premium Features