• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stop Ride Brake Fix - anyone ridden a sled with the update yet?

roostertech

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2011
so my 23 Boost is waiting for me to pick it up this week and a friend of mine rode his new sled yesterday ( yes Christmas day ) and he had nothing but trouble. The brake fix software update has the sled going into limp mode with very little brake use and we ride in the trees almost exclusively - he said he has never had such a lame day of sledding - point up a line through the trees and with just a tiny bit of on and off brake pressure with your finger covering the brake, being ready to adjust the machine as needed. It would of course lose power going into limp mode so often that it ended up fouling plugs because he would end up stuck and have to dig, pull and lift to get to out. Then having to use the brake to go down hill to take another run it would cut out from the brake being used downhill - pretty much forced him to ride without the brake - WTF ??? Anyone else ridden theirs yet and experienced any similar issues ?

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
Sounds about right. The brake light comes on without any brake pad pressure even being applied.
Did he try unplugging it? Or did he just get stuck all day and cry about it?

roostertech

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2011
nah - doesn't sound right - It's not right - I've only owned and ridden Polaris sleds in the mountains / tree riding for a decade now and my buddy is a very experienced mountain rider and no the brake wasn't stuck on full time - it was being used on and off as we do in the trees - Jeez , why didn't we think of that ........ Disconnect the brake light switch - I bet Polaris just forgot to put that little tid bit in the solution bulletin ...... cuz yeah - who needs a brake light lol - I love my Matryx Khaos Boost but this seems ridiculous

C
Dec 14, 2020
okay - good to know thanks - weird though

Because the real fix is going to involve adjusting the master cylinder plunger.

So their fix was too just make sure you couldn't burn the sled down with a red hot rotor.

Give it a month, and they'll probably have a real fix after all the complaints. I'd unplug the brake light switch from the master myself until there's a real fix.

Or someone needs to figure out how to market an aftermarket master cylinder and caliper and make the $.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Classic case of Polaris engineering: consumers do the testing, and the aftermarket does the problem solving.

Prime example is the throttle block. JFC... it's been what, a decade??

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I suspected, when I read about the "software fix," that it'd result in something like you describe. I'm curious if anyone else reports the same, just to eliminate it possibly being something quirky with the sled (maybe still in break-in? depending on how it's de-tuning the engine, the combination could be causing partial plug fowling). But ultimately, I don't know how you prevent someone from riding the brake and overheating it without causing something like you describe. The real answer is redesigned (and probably bigger) hardware that can take the heat, not software. Well, that or tell everybody it's a feature, not a flaw - whatever you do, don't disconnect that brake light switch (wink wink).

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
The bad thing about both of these stop rides. Is from my understanding Polaris was in contact with every insurer in the country. They also informed dealers of this and had demands on sales and or punishment for sales etc. This leads me to believe that what ever happens to your sled it will not be covered. With today's prices you can't afford to wreck a 20G sled without some backup. If it is on loan it has to have coverage. The bad part is if this is a crappy fix and messes up your riding you are stuck. Or have to (mod) something to have fun. Than your making something unsafe and it starts over. I have never been happy with this rollout how it was handled and the lack of communication and parts, dealer communication which was Polaris's fault not updating them so they claim. We are in a right now world, Polaris could have said more and updated us. There riders were still posting videos during the whole STOP RIDE.
My sled goes in today for all the fixes. When I get to try it out I will have a bypass if this hampers me in anyway. I'm not sure of the outcome here in the long run. The bad part is I know these sleds inside and out and switching just isn't what I currently want to do.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Since it was previously discussed here, I keep thinking that unplugging that brake light indicator switch (the little white button, that when released, makes the brake light turn on) is going to be the only way the computer won't think you're applying the brake.

Only downside I can think of is your buddy behind won't get to see a brake light for its intended purpose. If one is ever out riding in the dark a brake light is pretty valuable.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Unplug it in the short term. Someone will likely have a bypass available aftermarket, so the light functions but the ECU doesn't know it. That could be a "big" seller if it's easily removable for warranty claims (big is relative - I doubt anyone got rich selling TSS jumpers or other similar things in the past). Then long term, Polaris/Hayes will fix it mechanically, and they'll just quietly put the updated brakes on new sleds. It already sounds like there are a few simple things guys are doing, like shortening the plunger and fixing backwards seals.

jeremyp111

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2009
New Hampshire
I dropped my sled off this morning to get the flash fix done. We barely have enough snow here to ride, let alone ride in the woods so it'll be a couple weeks before I know if this is going to cause me more issues than it will 'fix'. I'll keep an eye on all the 'fix threads' in the meantime though. Hoping for the best.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
The salesman I talked to today said his rep was talking about a waiver in the future and being able to flash back to the original tune without the brake shenanigans. I'll believe it when I see it and I think there will be a mechanical fix.

T
Oct 16, 2017
The bad thing about both of these stop rides. Is from my understanding Polaris was in contact with every insurer in the country. They also informed dealers of this and had demands on sales and or punishment for sales etc. This leads me to believe that what ever happens to your sled it will not be covered. With today's prices you can't afford to wreck a 20G sled without some backup. If it is on loan it has to have coverage. The bad part is if this is a crappy fix and messes up your riding you are stuck. Or have to (mod) something to have fun. Than your making something unsafe and it starts over. I have never been happy with this rollout how it was handled and the lack of communication and parts, dealer communication which was Polaris's fault not updating them so they claim. We are in a right now world, Polaris could have said more and updated us. There riders were still posting videos during the whole STOP RIDE.
My sled goes in today for all the fixes. When I get to try it out I will have a bypass if this hampers me in anyway. I'm not sure of the outcome here in the long run. The bad part is I know these sleds inside and out and switching just isn't what I currently want to do.

My insurance company is still charging me so I would think a unrelated claim would be tough to argue against no? I certainly haven’t gotten a notice from them on the policy which would be the bare minimum expectation as a consumer. Yeah it’s not covered if it’s one of 30 sleds that go up in flames but at this point the recall has been fixed and the stop ride effectively ended. You think they are gonna deal with lost policies on every axys in the country?

If you drive your truck without getting recalls done, insurance doesn’t go out the window.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
My insurance company is still charging me so I would think a unrelated claim would be tough to argue against no? I certainly haven’t gotten a notice from them on the policy which would be the bare minimum expectation as a consumer. Yeah it’s not covered if it’s one of 30 sleds that go up in flames but at this point the recall has been fixed and the stop ride effectively ended. You think they are gonna deal with lost policies on every axys in the country?

If you drive your truck without getting recalls done, insurance doesn’t go out the window.

Your right in that last sentence. I worked insurance claims from auto, property to bodily injury claims for 7 years up until a few months ago. The notice allows the manufacturer a defense in the event the insurance company try to recover their damages through the legal subrogation process.

John Deere did the same a few years ago. Had several combines burn up every year and JD would easily pay up a huge portion. Then one year it was like flipping the switch. JD started fighting every subrogation attempt and we couldn’t get them to pay. However, that did not prevent us from paying out. It did however, effect future premiums on those vehicles went up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
N
May 23, 2011
Your right in that last sentence. I worked insurance claims from auto, property to bodily injury claims for 7 years up until a few months ago. The notice allows the manufacturer a defense in the event the insurance company try to recover their damages through the legal subrogation process.

John Deere did the same a few years ago. Had several combines burn up every year and JD would easily pay up a huge portion. Then one year it was like flipping the switch. JD started fighting every subrogation attempt and we couldn’t get them to pay. However, that did not prevent us from paying out. It did however, effect future premiums on those vehicles went up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this is an interesting and enlightening concept. guessing allstate isnt allowed to tell us this :)

Premium Features