• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone else have their brakes sticking/rubbing on the rotor? 2023 RMK

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
So I took the sled off the truck and it was making a winding sound almost. Like the 'famous' Polaris brakes that make a sound. Video below.
I put the sled in the garage overnight, and took it for a ride today. Now the sound is faint but it's still making the sound and I can feel it slowing me down soon as I let off the gas. First time Polaris owner and I'm not impressed.

What the heck could it be? Bad rotor, pads, brake assembly. No idea how my dealership missed this... The video is all stock controls.
No change in the sound I heard when using the stock or aftermarket lever...
I now have to drive 6hrs round trip to drop the sled off and hope it can be fixed sooner rather than later. Already had to cancel a trip out west. Now I can't even get riding time around home.

IMG_4609.JPGIMG_4651.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Just ride the thing.

Insurance time ?

Seriously though it could be in the caliper like @TRS found where the square O ring was spun 90 degrees.

The piston wouldn’t retract.

Last edited:
U
Nov 29, 2007
Put some miles on it everything needs to wear in. The resistance you are feeling riding on the road is probably the unlubricated slides on the track clips unless you had your scratchers down. Can you move the brake pads at all when the sled is cold?

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
Put some miles on it everything needs to wear in. The resistance you are feeling riding on the road is probably the unlubricated slides on the track clips unless you had your scratchers down. Can you move the brake pads at all when the sled is cold?
Even in the deep snow it would do the same - slow down and the brake whizzing sound. I can move the outside brake pads along the rotor but not away from it. I put 12km on the sled today just going around town. Snow was deep everywhere too so no worries about the slides and track clips. I'll have to throw the GoPro on tomorrow and take a new video.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Double check belly pan for any pieces/parts that could be in/around the brake and quick drive - some have had stray parts rubbing on the QD/belt pulleys. Lift the back end and see if everything moves somewhat freely spinning the track by hand.

Hard to tell, but sounds like it could just be a louder than average/very new QD and track. Is this like the first mile sorta thing we are watching? If yes, and given no bits rubbing on anything....I would be inclined to run it a bit to let the QD belt, track, everything break in a little. Everything can be pretty tight and make some noise straight out of the box, particularly on 0 snow. Ride it a little and coast to a stop without using the brake and see if the rotor is actually building any heat...repeat as needed. Further to any of that ....some will always have little brake whirr without actually causing any heat, and QD2 will always have some noise, particularly when "cold." Could just be a combo of a couple noises and new-ness.

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
Double check belly pan for any pieces/parts that could be in/around the brake and quick drive - some have had stray parts rubbing on the QD/belt pulleys. Lift the back end and see if everything moves somewhat freely spinning the track by hand.

Hard to tell, but sounds like it could just be a louder than average QD. Is this like the first mile on it sorta thing we are watching? If yes, and given no bits rubbing on anything....I would be inclined to run it a bit to let the QD belt, track, everything break in a little. Everything can be pretty tight and make some noise straight out of the box, particularly on 0 snow. Ride it a little and coast to a stop without using the brake and see if the rotor is actually building any heat...repeat as needed. Further to any of that ....some will always have little brake whirr without actually causing any heat. Could just be a combo of a couple noises and new-ness.
Thanks for chiming in. All is good under the hood. Nothing around the QD. Track was adjusted again today. Will take it for another short ride tomorrow and will slap the GoPro on to see if I can show the updated sound I'm hearing. But it's just like hitting the brake, even though I'm not.
I wonder what is the normal temp for the brake assembly? Maybe I'm overthinking it but that's it I guess. Anyone know what space should be between the rotor and brake pads using a feeler gauge?

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
So here's a better view of what's going on. Most people have been telling me everything seems normal, and you can hear the brakes when you let off the throttle. One person went through a set of pads in 35 days.. So I'm guessing all good? Unless there's a way to easily tell if one of the pistons are not operating properly?

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
I’d say ride it too. The pad clearance looks fine in your video. Assuming this is all still brand new, the pads and rotor still need to bed in with a little use.

My inner pad is starting to drag a bit, the pad is much more evidently pinned to the rotor than yours. Yet still no real issue with heat or noise. Similar to what Sheetmetal mentioned about TRS documenting over here.

But seriously, I’d ride your sled a bit before getting concerned.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
file down your brake lever so its not putting pressure on the plunger, take a little off at a time

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
The pads in my 2022 move the exact same way it has 650 miles currently with no issues. Enjoy your new sled

I’d say ride it too. The pad clearance looks fine in your video. Assuming this is all still brand new, the pads and rotor still need to bed in with a little use.

My inner pad is starting to drag a bit, the pad is much more evidently pinned to the rotor than yours. Yet still no real issue with heat or noise. Similar to what Sheetmetal mentioned about TRS documenting over here.

But seriously, I’d ride your sled a bit before getting concerned.
Went for another ride for 30ish KMs and the faint noise is gone down quite a bit. Lots of brake pad **** all over the plastics and battery lol. Guess they're worn in a bit. I'll just be keeping an eye out for the wear on each pad to make sure it's even.

Some pro Polaris riders I talked to said it's very normal to hear the faint brake whizzing sound on a RMK. So far it's all good. Thanks guys

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Went for another ride for 30ish KMs and the faint noise is gone down quite a bit. Lots of brake pad **** all over the plastics and battery lol. Guess they're worn in a bit. I'll just be keeping an eye out for the wear on each pad to make sure it's even.

Good to hear! The Quick Drive belt sheds a lot of flakey residue when breaking in, might be a lot of what you're seeing all over everything on that side.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon

Quick follow-up on this comment I made. After cleaning pistons and freshening up the pads, all is well. No more drag, both pistons retracting again. Wouldn't want to be seen as perpetuating any ill will towards Polaris brakes!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
For those with sticky brakes. Don't listen to guys who tell you to ride it. Try turning the secondary clutch with the track off the groun and theclutch belt clutch removed. If you find any resistance from the brake pads you will know. If you do have resistance, crack the bleeder valve and see if there is a pressure drop to change the resistance. If yes then the problem is at the master cyclinder if no then the problem is at the slave. If the slave, there was a report about a quad ring installed backwards and reversing it cured the sticking cylinder. You will have to remove and take it apart to check.

T

tahoe900

Aug 12, 2011
Truckee, CA
i had sticky brakes on my 23 khaos boost- when i put my new TKI lever on i ground down the contact point on the lever. Not only do i have more pull, but no longer brake have the brake drag (especially when it ices up)

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
i had sticky brakes on my 23 khaos boost- when i put my new TKI lever on i ground down the contact point on the lever. Not only do i have more pull, but no longer brake have the brake drag (especially when it ices up)
How much did you file off?

Premium Features