• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recommended tipping rate for a guide??

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
Looking for advice on how much to tip an off trail guide. Because of various reasons, there are only 2 of us going to Togwotee this year. Not wanting to venture off trail much with only 2 riders, we have booked a package for the first time ever. Safety in numbers thing. What is a reasonable amount to tip each day? Leave it to each individual in the group, or try to get a consensus in the group and make 1 large tip? We have ridden there for over 15 years, but are newbies to the guide aspect of things. Thanks.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
What does the guide cost for a day? $250? I'd say along the lines of going out to eat (haven't done that it almost a year!), if he's good 20% so $50.

Snowmixer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2014
Snohomish, WA
Good question, and one I've wondered about as well. I recently did an avalanche rescue course and the guides we hired actually stated in an email that tipping is "the norm" in the adventure industry, and is expected. They did not say how much was expected, but after discussing it with the group beforehand, we determined that 20% (each person tipped 20% of what we paid for the training) was fair. Were we correct in that conclusion? No one really knows, but it seems logical to me and the guides seemed very grateful (and they did an outstanding job), so I'd guess everyone went home happy.

Premium Features