• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

real bad alignment on 08 xp??

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
I checked my alignment today and boy something smells bad. Took my chain case apart and took the jack shaft out. I put shims in behind the jack shaft bearing until I had the belt about .020" off the inner half of the primary. (Lots of room on other side of belt and outter half) Snugged top gear on shaft to make sure shims tight. It took 5 mil. of shims! (.200") WOW! At first my offset was about 38 mil, and after it was about 42 mil. Straight edge out maybe. Anyway I was going by belt gap. Tried old belt, new belt, 166 belt, 377 belt. All said same thing, Something is way out! Also tryed to check to see if the chain sprockets were inline, NOT! 2 mil out! Nice eh? (canadian) Who is gong to fix this? Only way I can see how to fix, is machine the tapper and ring gear land on the primary,to move it towards the engine. Not going to shim the secondary that much. Wonder if BRP had some more bad machining they are not telling us about.

Last edited:
M
Dec 31, 2007
Check out numerous posts by myself MURDOCK about clutch alignment. I go with machining the rear clutch side engine mount, all others are done at factory. I go with 40mm from factory 37.15mm. Also we all know the clutching is f-ed.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Check out numerous posts by myself MURDOCK about clutch alignment. I go with machining the rear clutch side engine mount, all others are done at factory. I go with 40mm from factory 37.15mm. Also we all know the clutching is f-ed.

Am I going to get that much engine movement? I was going to try 41mm. Have you found your gears out of line also?

M
Dec 31, 2007
Am I going to get that much engine movement? I was going to try 41mm. Have you found your gears out of line also?

I tell the guy that does my machining to give me about a 4.5mm cut. The rear is not quite all the way over but the front will be right against the bolts to get your alignment offset of about 2mm. The offset I get seems to be enough if you move the torque stop down as far as it goes or even oblong the holes and drop it lower. If you take the mount to a machine shop and tell them to notch it ecxactly 4mm it would be perfect if you push both front and rear over as far as they go. Haven't checked gear alignment but my oil stays clean. Even with a shim kit there should be some for the gear to correct that. If not there is no way that will work.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Your right on. All but the left rear mount were slotted. Front ones were square actually. I ground the mount about 4.5 mm. and pushed the motor over as far as it would go. I got 39.5 mm. on top and 40 mm. on bottom. Figured that would be ok when things tourgue up. I had to grind a web behind the primary (by the tourque stop ), as it touched once. Never thought of the torque stop needing adjustment??? Duh ! been a long day. Gears alignment are fine must not of had it in right. I am going back to the 166 or extreme equivelant. Has anyone machined the secondary to pull them closer together for more deflection adjustment. If so how much.

M
Dec 31, 2007
With the 166 I found the adjuster may as well go in the garbage. With it removed the belt was perfect, tight but no creeping or squeeling. Found this with all 166 I tried. Going to build or buy a secondary brace though.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
I think I'm going to machine the inside of the secondary so I can set the deflection with the 166 belt or a NAPA extreme. I'm thinking of getting rif of the air box too. If I do I was thinking of putting a secondary brace back towards the tank so the front suspension doesn't effect it.

M
Dec 31, 2007
I doubt i'm going to piss around and build one. By the time I find the ends I want, the aluminium shaft, drill and tap, buy the LH tap and build mounts it will be the same price and I would have spent no time of my own. Racewerx looks good to me. I hope the frames don't flex that much in order to F something up.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
I think your right about time vs. money. I like working on things but sometime you have to draw the line. Same as taking out the air box. Leave it, do it myself or buy? I think I'm bored cuz its 25-30 below here and not much for snow. I do think that brace is nice but am concerned about input from front suspesion, think they have that covered though.

M
Dec 31, 2007
Seems like everyday is -35c here in northwest Alberta. The guys that sell Racewerx brace are suppose to call me today for order info

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Seems like everywhere is getting snow but us.(sparwood,fernie B.C.) I think I'm going to order a few things too. Hard to beat some of those kits out there no matter how good you are. Its also nice that they are tested too. And saves me breaking down and a tow job.

Premium Features