• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pregnant wife & riding (ATV's)

T
Dec 5, 2007
Thornton, CO
Looking for advice, I want to go on one last sand dune trip (ATV's) in a few weeks. My wife is 16 weeks pregnant. She would like to go, but I am un-sure if she should. She has never crashed and does not ride aggressive at all. We have a MD apt the day before we would leave so we will also talk to the doctor about it.

What do you guys think, would you let your pregnant wife ride?

arcticman31

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Colorado
Doctors orders

I would definatly recommend listening to the Doc on this one......Usually they are just full of crap but I actually know a lady who rode an Atv while she was pregnant and she ended up having a miscarrige.

H

Hammertime

Nov 27, 2007
Arvada, Colorado
Hate to say it

I never listen to the Doc's...let's see 4 weeks after knee surgery I was out sledding till I ran out of GAS! Could barely walk but I knew I could ride:D So do what the Doc says not what I would do:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Listen to your Doctor. You do not want to go down the road described by arcticman31. The guilt and pain for both you and your wife would be terrible.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
We almost lost our baby this last winter and all my wife did was walk and drive to work. Is one last ride worth the life of your unborn child? Pretty easy question to answer, I think.

Find a buddy to hit the Dunes with ya. You headed to the Walden Dunes?

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Yup..if you have to ask, you probably already know the answer. It's really not about you, the dunes or the atv's. It is about the health and safety of your unborn and your wife.

Go with da boys. Momma can go next year.............(oooops) probably not, if breastfeeding............maybe the year after.

FreeAgent

Lifetime Membership
May 28, 2008
Yup..if you have to ask, you probably already know the answer. It's really not about you, the dunes or the atv's. It is about the health and safety of your unborn and your wife.

Go with da boys. Momma can go next year.............(oooops) probably not, if breastfeeding............maybe the year after.

X2 4 kids and two high risks pregnancy's under my belt Doc's gonna tell you NO!! Been there done that don't risk it she is not far enough along to be riding ATV's just vibrations of the motor at idle are too risky. JMO but what do i know.....Yup boys 4 kids....LOL now ya know why I'm nuts

Michelle

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
I was told 15 years ago, if it was in your normal routine then fine. I did go snowmobiling 2x prego, and decided it was not worth it. No tek vest then, and now I know I would not do it at all, just to risky!!!

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
We almost lost our baby this last winter and all my wife did was walk and drive to work. Is one last ride worth the life of your unborn child? Pretty easy question to answer, I think.

Find a buddy to hit the Dunes with ya. You headed to the Walden Dunes?

8 months, 18 lbs and happy, happy, happy. Went thru an emergency procedure to save his life in October and was born 5 months preemie at 4 lbs.
Worth it? Hell, yeah!
101_3817.jpg

T
Dec 5, 2007
Thornton, CO
Wow, lots of response,
First off, the most important thing to me is the well being of my wife and un-born child. She is the one who really wants to ride, and I told her no. Part of the reason I made this post was to show her I am not the only one who thinks it’s a bad idea to ride. When she gets home I am going to show her this thread.

Thanks for all your input.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
My wife rode her banshee several times throughout her pregnancy. The Doctor said to continue on like normal. My wife actually rode 2 weeks at Walden before my daughter was born. Your wifes situation may be different but for a normal pregnancy I would think trail riding is fine. Just dont enter the Baja 1000 :D

K
Nov 16, 2022
France
Quad biking can be dangerous for pregnant women. During pregnancy, a woman goes through physiological changes that make her more vulnerable to injury and damage.

K
Nov 16, 2022
France
Looking for advice, I want to go on one last sand dune trip (ATV's) in a few weeks. My wife is 16 weeks pregnant. She would like to go, but I am un-sure if she should. She has never crashed and does not ride aggressive at all. We have a MD apt the day before we would leave so we will also talk to the doctor about it.

What do you guys think, would you let your pregnant wife ride?
medium.jpg

First of all, it is important to note that the safety of the pregnant wife should be a priority. ATV riding carries a risk of injury, even if your wife is careful. If this is a teenage pregnancy, then you can still consider this option. I recommend that you discuss this issue with your wife's doctor. The doctor will be able to give professional advice, taking into account the peculiarities of your wife's pregnancy and assessing the risks. If a doctor approves quad biking, all safety precautions are advised, including wearing protective gear and driving carefully. If your wife and doctor agree to a ride, be careful about her comfort and safety while riding.

Last edited:
Premium Features