• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power to Weight Ratio: Four Stoke vs. Two Stroke

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I think the problem is that people relate all four stroke snowmobiles to the nytro/apex/rx1.

The viper is a four stroke but IS NOT a nytro. So any time you say "I hate four strokes because of _____", your blaming all four strokes for the ill handling of the nytro (I have no problems with it).

The viper seems to be a game changer and hating on it without riding it seems ridiculous to me. Let's wait and get some seat time on this thing before we scrutinize it.

Last edited:

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Just brought home my blue/white 153 Viper today, road it around the yard in about 5 inches of snow and sure felt light and tippy compared to my modded 09 XP. This will be my first 4 stroke so no past expeirances. Fred

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
And you have not ridden a Viper. Friend brought out a 2013 Pro RMK to our ride last year, we all rode it and even his girlfriend said the Ski Doo and Viper rode better. I will say though that yeah...throwing around a Nytro will certainly wear you out, But that is past tense since the Viper arrived. Now you can go ride a Viper (or a 2014 M8 they ride and handle alike) or continue to embarrass yourself with lack of product.

Yeah the Pro isn't a very good trail sled... That's where you ride right? lol

B
Nov 1, 2014
I own a 2014 RMK I ride it stock and I love the sled for deep powder extreme riding. I also purchased a 2015 Viper for long distance touring since I like the plush feel of the Viper for long distance 100 mile rides we often do.

At no time did I ever think my stock Viper is going to do what my stock RMK does stock for stock. The Viper at best is a 700cc sled that weighs 100# more than my 800cc RMK. Some of you guys can keep on dreaming and perhaps before you install a turbo into your Viper to keep up with the 800's you should
venture out into some extreme terrain with a stock RMK & XM to see first hand how your stock Viper fairs against a stock RMK or XM.

BigBobs Backcountry

B
Nov 1, 2014
I believe it would make you a better rider. I have to also believe your buddy's on there stock 800 RMK, XM or Proclimb ran circles around your stock Nytro a time our two riding in deep challenging snow.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Yeah the Pro isn't a very good trail sled... That's where you ride right? lol

Well, actually last year a friend talked his 2013 Pro up and down. After he saw what a Viper converted to an MTX would in 3 feet of fresh powder he had to admit he was wrong. Was especially fun outrunning him in the open field deep powder....that pro has less power in the deep than a stock Viper. Having to rescue his stuck Pro in the bottomless powder down in a bowl was especially funny.

I don't expect you to ever admit you are wrong come this season when you find out how wrong you are though...some people never get it. Those that talk about being big steep and deep riders like you and DPG never seem to have pics? You live in Nebraska like DPG?:face-icon-small-hap

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I believe it would make you a better rider. I have to also believe your buddy's on there stock 800 RMK, XM or Proclimb ran circles around your stock Nytro a time our two riding in deep challenging snow.

Of course. Nytro was a top heavy pig, I had two one was 280hp S/C. Now if you are comparing a Nytro to a Viper you might as well compare the Polaris touring to a Polaris Pro.. You said you bought a Viper, fix the clutch and lets see if your view is the same. PM me I will even tell you how to fix the clutch.

Last edited:
B
Nov 1, 2014
Here in Valdez we see just the opposite unless the Yamaha's have boost...I don't think I have ever seen a stock 4 stroke yamaha out climb a stock 2 stroke in deep snow has anyone seen it ? It would sure be nice to see a video of that fee nom and would sure shut up the curious. I will do the test myself when my Viper arrives. Here in Valdez we have lots of challenging terrain even though I already know what the results will be.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I never had the chance to run my nytro side by side with any 800s before it was boosted. I honestly didn't give a rip who's sled was better. We were more worried about having a good time. I did high mark a full mod 700 with nothing but a timbersled skid and a track swap though.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Just brought home my blue/white 153 Viper today, road it around the yard in about 5 inches of snow and sure felt light and tippy compared to my modded 09 XP. This will be my first 4 stroke so no past expeirances. Fred

Of course it felt light. You were on cloud nine from getting your new sled. Adrenaline was pumping. Heck you probably unloaded it out of the back of the truck by hand:)

Good for you. I hope that day is in my near future.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Well, actually last year a friend talked his 2013 Pro up and down. After he saw what a Viper converted to an MTX would in 3 feet of fresh powder he had to admit he was wrong. Was especially fun outrunning him in the open field deep powder....that pro has less power in the deep than a stock Viper. Having to rescue his stuck Pro in the bottomless powder down in a bowl was especially funny.

I don't expect you to ever admit you are wrong come this season when you find out how wrong you are though...some people never get it. Those that talk about being big steep and deep riders like you and DPG never seem to have pics? You live in Nebraska like DPG?:face-icon-small-hap

Outrunning him in open deep field powder... lol
I've seen $25k builds stuck in "****holes" because the rider couldn't ride it out.

You've been backing my point for months. If a stock viper has comparable power to the 800 2s why doesn't Snowest take the kid gloves off and throw a stock one in the shootout? My guess is Yamaha wouldn't like the embarrassment. So instead they make up a bogus video that gets pmed to a bunch of members by Christopher and then all you guys wonder why you get to put up with us in "your" section. That and a few of you are too much fun. lol

Oh, and you'll have to travel a little farther east from NE to find where I live but come winter I get anywhere from 35-40 riding days in the backcountry mostly with buds that are locals... More than a lot of guys that live there. I'm not great but can hold my own with most anyone.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Power to weight ratio is often touted as being the most important criteria ... think about it though ... who rides at full throttle all the time because unless you do, P/W ratio becomes less important / useful as the revs drop off ....

B
Nov 1, 2014
PW matters in nearly all types of backcountry riding except for trail riding. When I'm trail riding long distances like we do here in AK I prefer a heavier sled there just much more stable and comfortable on the snow than the lighter 2 strokes mountain specific sleds that why I bought a Viper. Owning a Pro RMK & Viper Is the best of both worlds.

My 2014 800 RMK with 145 hp weighs 420# dry with 10 gallons of fuel adds 65# RTR weight of 485# + -

In contrast my 2015 Viper with 135 hp. weighs dry 535# with 10 gallons of fuel adds 65# RTR weight 600# + -

Right out of the box my RMK weighs 115# less than my yet to arrive Viper and with the addition of 10 extra Horsepower is there any question right out of the box which sled has the edge in the Power to Weight ?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
We got 10 inches of snow up high yesterday and since I don't have my viper yet I had to pull the kids sled around with my wife's proclimb.

Yep.

First tracks of the year today, on the fat two year old m8. You know what? It was fun!

Just get out and ride, run whatcha brung and enjoy it.

Unless it is skidoo. Kill those things with fire.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Right out of the box my RMK weighs 115# less than my yet to arrive Viper and with the addition of 10 extra Horsepower is there any question right out of the box which sled has the edge in the Power to Weight ?

Deep powder guy would know that this is a pointless comparison for MOUNTAIN RIDING which is what this entire website is all about.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
people are putting too much into the power to weight and forgetting to add in snow conditions. I remember the days of taking down a thundercat with a 670 summit when the snow was deep. More towards the spring, the t cat would lay the mark on the hill every time. Not sure on the p to w. way more horse and weight on the t cat. I climbed on a hill with my old t-nytro 153 and barely beat my buddies 07 xrs with a 151. It was a 60 inch dump and absolutely no run. I had another buddy there with a 162 t nytro and he was in the same boat.If I we would have had a run we would have killed him. I guess there is more to the equation.

T
Oct 14, 2014
Outrunning him in open deep field powder... lol
I've seen $25k builds stuck in "****holes" because the rider couldn't ride it out.

You've been backing my point for months. If a stock viper has comparable power to the 800 2s why doesn't Snowest take the kid gloves off and throw a stock one in the shootout? My guess is Yamaha wouldn't like the embarrassment. So instead they make up a bogus video that gets pmed to a bunch of members by Christopher and then all you guys wonder why you get to put up with us in "your" section. That and a few of you are too much fun. lol

Oh, and you'll have to travel a little farther east from NE to find where I live but come winter I get anywhere from 35-40 riding days in the backcountry mostly with buds that are locals... More than a lot of guys that live there. I'm not great but can hold my own with most anyone.

Not buying the claim of a stock Viper outdoing the Pro in the deep...

I can help with pictures...

'14 SkiDoo stuck in powder... Pro, not stuck

'14 Arctic Cat M8000 LE, stuck in tree hole trying to follow Pro...

Live in mountains, ride Colorado dry powder. I would like to see a Viper out but don't bother riding places like Grand Mesa where they must hang... Not from Nebraska:face-icon-small-hap

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Not buying the claim of a stock Viper outdoing the Pro in the deep...

I can help with pictures...

'14 SkiDoo stuck in powder... Pro, not stuck

'14 Arctic Cat M8000 LE, stuck in tree hole trying to follow Pro...

Live in mountains, ride Colorado dry powder. I would like to see a Viper out but don't bother riding places like Grand Mesa where they must hang... Not from Nebraska:face-icon-small-hap

Ouraysledder posted those before! Welcome back Ouray!

Premium Features