• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

posted this question on another site and they made it out I am to blame.

F
Nov 14, 2008
This is my message to the ceramic coater, that coated my pipe which led to my melt down. I have left out names because I am not going down that road yet.
He is only offering to put my exhaust back to the way it was and give me a $500 credit in free coatings.

So far it has cost me $2000 total out of pocket including the coating, not to mention the time I put into it, but the time I can suck that up. But there is more to consider, what its going to cost to get my sled the way it was before this pipe caused its damage and a little damage that incured from me taking it apart 20 times. I went on Babbits just to get a rough idea of new cost, which is about $4000.
I know what you are thinking I am nuts, but just to give some dollar value. I take pride in my snowmobiles, right now mine looks and feels like a piece of junk with only 2000 miles.
My list of parts needed to bring it back to the way it was is:
If you are sitting on the sled RH fender, along with side panel.
The hood, yes I could manage, but it wasn't broke before, heat made it brittle.
Hood hinge.
Console
Carb rad hose melted
Oil tank
Recoil inner wheel
Air temp sensor
EGT maybe? Exposed to some very high heat.
Finally the exhaust, aside from wanting to throw it in the garbage. The covers I was going to throw away so they sat in frozen mud all winter and stepped on, not to mention I don't even know where my silencer covers are.
I know it maybe unrealistic asking for new but I will spend the off season looking for parts in good condition and should be compensated.
I have suffered enough from your product that did not work and you should stand by it.

I would like to further add after our conversation last week it left me not feeling very happy. You offered in compensation to either put my exhaust back to they way it was or offer me free coatings in the future. Yes it may fix the problem but it doesn't cover the damage.
This past week I went one step further, for starters repaired my sled again and got it running. I borrowed a factory fusion exhaust with covers and all. I installed it and went on the lake for a ride, keep in mind plus 7 and with little snow. I drove 30 km. Everything was fine. The next day I put my exhaust on that you coated as well as the covers. I went on the lake it was 0 degrees. I put on about 5km, now the heat wasn't as bad as without the covers but still hotter then the non coated factory exhaust. This all further proves my point about your coating. I even talked to a pipe manufacturer and coater. Because I was thinking about buying an aftermarket exhaust. I noticed they don't have covers and its supposed to be the same coating, I said I was leary of trusting ceramic coating after the year I had? Here are some responses:

1. Me:I have a chance at getting one of your exhausts used for about $500, in really good shape. My question is how good is the ceramic coating? I am asking this because I had my stock exhaust coated this year, it turned in to be a nightmare. In the end the seramic coater says I have to put the shields back on.

Response: DO NOT put the shields on it will cause corrosion.

2. Me: He told me to put the shields back on because my pipe is heating up too much and caused a melt down. I questioned him on the quality of his paint, because I see guys like you running pipes without shields just coated, thats why I am asking. I figured I better just get a pipe and have no more problems.

Response: Pipes heat more with the shield on because it insulates & keeps the heat from escaping. A shield on a coated exhaust can cause more damage.

3. Me:I thought I melted down because of something else. I changed injectors, ecu, voltage regulator, tps and finally the stator. I will give a brief run down. Got my pipe blue ceramic coated, went for a short run melted my pull cord and side panels. Sled never ran right after that thought it was something to do with my silencer maybe it got plugged. Checked it out, fine. Was suggested it was running to rich, not to mention sled barely ran now really loading up the mag side. Spent the winter trying to figure the sled out, had at dealers and myself working on it. Finally I was down to the stator, when I pulled the fly wheel off I could see my pull cord rope remains, could also see the rope melted to one crank sensor and bent it, also noticed the inner ring of my flywheel spining, glue must have let go in the heat. Got new parts and put it back together started second pull ran great, went for a short ride, bang pull cord melted off again. Called the coater again saying I think there is something really wrong with the paint, he suggested trying it on another sled. So I called up a friend of a friend and asked if he could try my pipe, within 5 min. it started to melt the foam off his cowling. I called the coater again, he said 95% of pipes done don't need the shields but some do need them put back on. I kind of want to throw my pipe away. Thats why I am asking about yours, after the winter I have had.

Response: Very strange, possibly blue coating is radiating heat out towards parts & melting not sure we only use silver.

Bottom line is your product didn't work I shouldn't have to suffer. I would like to be compensated. I am hoping you can come up with a suitable offer, I am giving you one more chance.
Thank you

P
May 4, 2008
McCall, Idaho
I don't know what kind of coating you have, but I did witness a pipe that was coated with a substance that was meant to radiate heat. And did it ever. Parts were melted and burned around it. This coating was silver, but it was not smooth, rather it was rough, like coarse sandpaper.
Bottom line, not all coatings are the same. Some are meant to radiate heat, while others are meant to insulate.

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
So you took a stock pipe, modified it by taking the INSULATION off without any additional venting, melt everything around it, start throwing random parts at it trying to fix it and its his fault?

I
Nov 27, 2007
Norway
hmm, just putting on a ceramic coated exhaust should normally not cause that much carnage...?
(my first thought - a mice built a nest in the silencer...)

F
Nov 14, 2008
So you took a stock pipe, modified it by taking the INSULATION off without any additional venting, melt everything around it, start throwing random parts at it trying to fix it and its his fault?

When the sled first melted down, I took the exhaust back to the coater. And said there is a problem, he tested the exhaust for flow and said its not the problem, I have other issues. After a winter of me trying to figure it out and a couple of polaris dealerships it finally came back to the exhaust. The exhaust caused the excessive heat, so yes I would say its his fault.

F
Nov 14, 2008
sounds like you spent more money on your stock exhaust than you would have if you bought a complete aftermarket. why?

I thought I was doing the right thing and also sold on that, that ceramic coating reduces underhood heat by 40%. Of course if I had of anticipated the damage to follow, I would have just bought an exhaust or left it alone.

H
Mar 30, 2008
ultimately everything that happens to a sled is the riders fault. as soon as it melted some plastic I would have removed it or put the stock shields back on.

ceramic coating can easily cause detonation problems in a sled. so as soon as you put it on and ran it on a warm up stand or short bursts on the lake to check plugs and check often for signs of detonation. ultimately it is your choice to replace all them parts without proper diagnostics, you would make a good auto mechanic! just throw parts at it until its fixed. ha!

i feel bad that you had trouble, but i dont think its fair to blame a guy that did what you wanted, he doesnt know your sled or if the pipe will change with coating, he does coating and you hired him to coat the pipe.

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
ceramic coating can easily cause detonation problems in a sled.

Why is this?

FUSION90050TH > Unless the coating guy's product does not live up to what he claims (and that would be hard to prove) you will be hard pressed to make him compensate you. Bad deal.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The coating does reduce radiated heat compared to a BARE pipe. But nothing compared to a insulated clamshell. As with ANY aftermarket/modified exhaust it is up to the owner to wrap everything with foil/insulation tape etc... melting plastic, oil and coolant reservoirs, hoods, panels etc is pretty standard with this type of coating or aftermarket exhaust. IMO it is the owners responsibility to ensure he protects his sled, not the guy who offers a coating service. Sounds like he's already bent over backwards for you.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Why is this?

Same?^^^^^^^^

Shouldnt make any difference.

Fact is like winterbrew said its your fault its your "modified" sled.

I have done alot of ceramic coating and tested it with a infared heat device right after start up and warm up. YES it runs alot cooler than bare pipes but like stated with the heat sheilds off not as effective as bare steel with them. I dont think the guy owes you a thing personally and the fact he offered anything is more than I would of done. I am sure if you read the directions on his product it says.

Use at your own risk

This is standard disclaimer for bull chit claims like yours that are trying to run all the entrepenuers out of business.

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
Didn't the 900 50th ani. edition year sleds have a problem with under hood heat already? And also I thought that the piped ones melted lots of stuff under there.
Not sure if this is the sled in question or not?
Ever used foil(heat) tape before? On my edge, the whole inside ends up for the most part, wrapped or covered with some tape. The newer chassis are even that much more compact, and once the clam is removed there is no amount of coatings I know of that will protect enough.
Even at 40% reduction, the exhaust coming out of the motor is well over 1000 degrees, so do the math for the potential amount of heat present.

F
Nov 14, 2008
Thanks for everyones comments.
Its my fault for getting it done.
I guess the best thing to get out of this and learn from my mistake. Don't believe the benefits of a product unless you test it yourself first.
I just wish they had of suggested putting the shields back on, but instead I was told keep it coated in a silicon spray to keep looking new.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Thanks for everyones comments.
Its my fault for getting it done.
I guess the best thing to get out of this and learn from my mistake. Don't believe the benefits of a product unless you test it yourself first.
I just wish they had of suggested putting the shields back on, but instead I was told keep it coated in a silicon spray to keep looking new.

Stand up reply!

I agree! They should provide more information to the end users and not assume all end users know the ins and outs of there product.

gave yah green rep for reply....Kudos.

Y
Jan 30, 2009
Sorry dude. It took me 4 days to get my pipe, then tossed the stock away. No heat, No probs, and only 1 post. Again, I feel for You.

Premium Features