• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matryx belt heat (New Thought Process)

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
As everyone knows keeping belt temps and under hood temps down yields better performance. I decided to leave my stock (Fully Insulated Clamshelled) stock pipe and muffler on my new 850 Matryx as a performance experiment. The results have been eye opening to say the least with extremely long pulls with no fade because of smoking hot belts and clutches. I used to think that huge can of a muffler generated slot of under heat until I noticed the latest Matryx muffler is fully insulated on both sides with a giant clamshell. My ceramic coated competition can creates a lot more under hood heat as clutch sheaves turn brown on long pulls. Thoughts!!

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
As everyone knows keeping belt temps and under hood temps down yields better performance. I decided to leave my stock (Fully Insulated Clamshelled) stock pipe and muffler on my new 850 Matryx as a performance experiment. The results have been eye opening to say the least with extremely long pulls with no fade because of smoking hot belts and clutches. I used to think that huge can of a muffler generated slot of under heat until I noticed the latest Matryx muffler is fully insulated on both sides with a giant clamshell. My ceramic coated competition can creates a lot more under hood heat as clutch sheaves turn brown on long pulls. Thoughts!!
Makes sense. I know my diamond s can runs very cool, maybe just like the stock suitcase🤷🏻‍♂️ Purely due to the heat transfer properties of Ti.

I supposed one could tape their cans and purdy ceramic coated pipes with exhaust tape to keep the heat “contained” and still gain performance benefits too. I feel like there was a thread on this a while back. Maybe that was one talking about taping the diamond S can to make it less “tinny”…

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Climb a longer, bigger hill. Wfo straight up a mountain minimum 1 minute, no burping the throttle. Report back with video

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Last week I thought my side panels were going to melt. They were soft like butter after about 30 minutes of consistent riding at high RPMS in deep snow, followed by a 3 min WOT pull. Still running the stock can (boost).

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I made a solid 1.5 minute, possibly a 2 minute pull in deep, deep heavy snow in 40 degree air temps last week with no I’ll affects. I would video if I had the equipment. The Matryx stock hood does not breathe well at all, not having a heat radiating can or pipe sure seems to be working well.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I know this is a Polaris thread, but I noticed this on my doo back in 2016, I rode the sled stock before I put a aftermarket muffler on. The underhood temps went way up, and I could see it on the coolant temp. I did a bunch of testing and header wrapped a ceramic coated muffler, it helped with underhood heat and clutch temps, but the stock muffler had the best results. I ran stock mufflers ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I put on the mountain tek blow hole to help with under hood heat, along with sucking out some clutch dust too. The fan pulls approximately 140 cfm. To put the cfm into perspective; this is more than a typical bathroom fan.

Everything else is stock except for diamond s can.

Seems to work, and have ran the blow hole on many sleds.

MTNTK

Premium Member
Nov 5, 2009
Ashton, ID
mtntkperformance.com
I put on the mountain tek blow hole to help with under hood heat, along with sucking out some clutch dust too. The fan pulls approximately 140 cfm. To put the cfm into perspective; this is more than a typical bathroom fan.

Everything else is stock except for diamond s can.

Seems to work, and have ran the blow hole on many sleds.

boback, thanks for the testimonial on the Blow Hole we stand behind that product and appreciate you being a long time customer. It really does lower belt and clutch temps, but it also does a phenomenal job at lowering the entire under hood temps including keeping the plastic panels/hood from getting soft. https://www.mtntkperformance.com/products/polaris-matryx-blow-hole?_pos=1&_sid=f97109517&_ss=r

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
Firm believer in a cool clutch is a happy clutch and belt. That is why i put a bunch of vents from Too Cool on my 22 matryx and made my own headlight delete. I have confirmed that my vents actually do something by using a temperature reader gun, checked before and after the venting and the difference was about 45 degrees cooler. I also have dilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of the glove box and covered with frog skin to get some warm air in there to warm up goggles and gloves

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
After running the stock muffler for about a month and 600 miles, I am convinced the performance gains of keeping things cooler under the hood are greater than the weight reduction and higher under hood temps. I guess the other alternative would be to insulate your aftermarket cans. I never noticed the new fully clamshelled muffler until I was going to put my competition can on. The blowhole might be my next performance mod.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Firm believer in a cool clutch is a happy clutch and belt. That is why i put a bunch of vents from Too Cool on my 22 matryx and made my own headlight delete. I have confirmed that my vents actually do something by using a temperature reader gun, checked before and after the venting and the difference was about 45 degrees cooler. I also have dilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of the glove box and covered with frog skin to get some warm air in there to warm up goggles and gloves

I used to run 2cool also. But I was talking with someone and they pointed out that the vents ice up. Next deep powder ride, I paid attention more to the vents and yep, a lot of the vents iced up.

boback, thanks for the testimonial on the Blow Hole we stand behind that product and appreciate you being a long time customer. It really does lower belt and clutch temps, but it also does a phenomenal job at lowering the entire under hood temps including keeping the plastic panels/hood from getting soft. https://www.mtntkperformance.com/products/polaris-matryx-blow-hole?_pos=1&_sid=f97109517&_ss=r

Happen to have some numbers on the temp differences for a Matryx?

After running the stock muffler for about a month and 600 miles, I am convinced the performance gains of keeping things cooler under the hood are greater than the weight reduction and higher under hood temps. I guess the other alternative would be to insulate your aftermarket cans. I never noticed the new fully clamshelled muffler until I was going to put my competition can on. The blowhole might be my next performance mod.

Very interesting stat. I don't know if I can psychologically put on the stock can! ha but true. It's always shocking to me the weight difference when holding a stock can and aftermarket can.

Premium Features