• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polishing Tunnel

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
That tunnel was disgusting looking. It sat outside for most of it's life before me. All I did was hit it with the grinder once, and it cleaned up to that.

These spindles were a whole nother story though. I had to sand off the weird coating Doo put on, then get rid of the scratches, cause I used too abrassive of a pad. Then polish it up.

REVSpindlePolishedLeft.jpg

REVSpindlePolishedFrontRight.jpg

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I don't get to carried away. Just motherball and some hand rubbing with the mothers liquid polish, then some carnuba to seal it.
Not nearly as nice as some of the others, but its a clean look, call it partial polish.

2984669499_854b67475e_b.jpg

2985524666_d3da57276e_b.jpg

M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
I don't get to carried away. Just motherball and some hand rubbing with the mothers liquid polish, then some carnuba to seal it.
Not nearly as nice as some of the others, but its a clean look, call it partial polish.

2985524666_d3da57276e_b.jpg

That looks just fine, but I swear it takes less time and you get a better finish when you use a grinder.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I've got an 8" makita grinder, but I'd have to get the right wheel for it. I just worry about it slinging the juice all over the plastics.

T

tynels24

Aug 1, 2008
Volga SD
Here are some pics of my Dragon's Polish job! I might go over it again just to see if I get get it to shine just a little more. This is an addiction, once you start its just never enough! haha The second to last pic is kinda crappy but it's a before pic.

Sheridan 091.jpg Sheridan 093.jpg Sheridan 083.jpg me 006.jpg Sheridan 084.jpg

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
will post mine when i get it done.. waiting to finish my rear bumper mod

I personally like to the wizards products..

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
B-rad... I havent used the stuff in the can..

I use the metal renew and the metal sealer.. seems to work pretty good..

dont know if its any better or worse than mothers

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
I can't believe how many guys are using elbow grease to get the job done. The power ball works alright, but it's still slow, and doesn't do nearly as good of a job as the grinder. Seriously, if you head to Princess Auto/Harbour Freight, all the materials might cost you $50. You will get the job done in 1/10 of the time, and have 100x the finish when you're done.

Jewler's Rouge is the cat's meow.

You're in a shop. USE POWER TOOLS!!! LOL.

REVTunnelPolished.jpg
[/IMG]

nice job.

Are you just using an angle grinder? Wha polishing wheel are you using? Can you buy the wheel at Princess Auto?

Where did you buy the Jewels' rouge?

M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
nice job.

Are you just using an angle grinder? Wha polishing wheel are you using? Can you buy the wheel at Princess Auto?

Where did you buy the Jewels' rouge?

Aside from the old crappy Makita grinder I fixed up for my dedicated polishing grinder, everything came from Princess Auto. I think it's a 5", maybe a 6" yellow polishing wheel. The Jewler's Rouge is just a block of polish. It measures maybe 1"x1"x4". Watch the catalogs, you can get their grinders on sale for like $30, and they work just great. I'm sure their life span isn't the best, but they have plenty of power.

That is a bit of a lie. To make the clean up easier (getting rid of the black stuff from the polish I use a cloth product that is soaked in some sort of polish. This stuff breaks down the black stuff, and leaves the machine with nothing but polish. I'm sure there are cheaper, easier ways to do this, I just havne't tie into it yet.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I just hit mine again with the mothers paste, and then carnuba. I also polished the slide rails.
A good way to get the black stuff off is flour from the kitchen.

K

khk

Dec 3, 2007
Underwood WA
I just hit mine again with the mothers paste, and then carnuba. I also polished the slide rails.
A good way to get the black stuff off is flour from the kitchen.

Ya. I have used flour and it works great and its cheep just a little messy have the shop vac ready.

C
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary, AB
wow, nice work Dunatic.... I used many things including mothers billet polish and jewellers rouge. Mothers works pretty good, but I couldn't get the jewellers rouge to work that great. It just seemed to leave black streaks on the aluminum, and I had troubles getting it off. I find applying the rouge isn't that hard, but getting a nice clean shiny finish is... any secrets?

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
here is the stuff I used

and this is how it turned out :D I did use some mothers billet polish as a final hand polish, use a microfiber towel.

110107_7828.jpg

110107_7819.jpg

110107_7817.jpg

thats the best one i have ever seen! i'm jealous, i'm going to attempt the wet sanding and then polishing up with a grinder, powerball and a buffer, plan on using mothers at first and finishing it up with some intimidator.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
here is the stuff I used

and this is how it turned out :D I did use some mothers billet polish as a final hand polish, use a microfiber towel.

Dunatic,
That is cleeeaaan.
You got to hit those slide rails because that tunnel makes them look like they've been sitting out behind the barn for the last 2 years.

Premium Features